Author Topic: Revisit Chameleon's package builder  (Read 144443 times)

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
Re: Revisit Chameleon's package builder
« Reply #75 on: September 24, 2010, 04:40:09 PM »
Branches added!
http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleonApplications/source/tree/HEAD/branches

One thing.. you're adding just the contents of /package to the project; are you keeping in mind that it needs the rest of the booter structure to work?
Hi Azimuth
Yeah. Scrax and iFabio have just been working with the separate package folder for a while now and they just add it to the latest trunk download when they want to build the full package. When the package has reached a state of completion, it can then be copied of the main Chameleon trunk.

Do you think we could have done this a better way?  :P
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 04:42:16 PM by Blackosx »
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

Azimutz

• VoodooLabs
  • Paranoid Android
« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2010, 05:47:22 PM »
Well, i pointed the lack of booter files mainly because iFabio is doing changes on the main make file, which has no place on the PackageBuilder folder as it is. So, i suggest at least moving all the files that are now on the root of PackageBuilder, to a /package folder to match the trunk layout and include the main make file on the root.

About adding me to the noobs :P that can mess with the repo, i'm ok with it even if it's just to help with some svn problem... i do know a thing that needs fixing on the pref pane (think it still needs!?)... Of course i can always help on the installer with time.. needs a lot of testing for what i've seen but it's coming out fine.
By the way, attached is the r011 package with some small fix on buildpkg, removed SMCITE kext since it's a FakeSmc plugin and a typo on Option folder (missing "s").
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 09:17:37 PM by Azimutz »
 System & Patches: http://goo.gl/i961
 Chameleon:
- trunk builds: http://goo.gl/9G1Hq
- pref pane: http://goo.gl/OL2UT

scrax

« Reply #77 on: September 24, 2010, 06:41:27 PM »
Perfect Azi, thanks
I'm not at home at the moment, later i'll make sone intensive test with a new hard disk to be sure it works good.

scrax

« Reply #78 on: September 24, 2010, 09:38:37 PM »
Azi, thanks for the corrections

about
55    fixperms "${1}/Core/Root/"
I'm not sure if it's needed or not but it was already there so I've applied my philosophy:
Don't touch what you don't know :)

but bdmesg is my error having it before line 55, now fixed.

for svn I've copied the trunk in my branch and inside that copy I've updated the package with your corrections.
Now if I make svn diff --revision 140 http://forge.voodooprojects.org/svn/chameleonApplications

I think that i need a little help with the svn base command to commit the changes in my branch, until now I can't undertand how to connect with my account, I used
svn co http://forge.voodooprojects.org/svn/chameleonApplications --username scrax to get the code but i never asked for the password

for now i'm reading the man pages about svn

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #79 on: September 24, 2010, 10:25:14 PM »
Well, i pointed the lack of booter files mainly because iFabio is doing changes on the main make file, which has no place on the PackageBuilder folder as it is. So, i suggest at least moving all the files that are now on the root of PackageBuilder, to a /package folder to match the trunk layout and include the main make file on the root.
Yes. I agree and have just made the relevant changes :)

@ Scrax

I must apologise, but I have just re-arranged the trunk so the files and folders now sit under a /package folder to fit with what Azimuth was saying above which makes sense to allow iFabio to add the makefile.

Therefore, can you save your changes and re-checkout a new local branch and re-apply your corrections?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 10:31:26 PM by Blackosx »
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

scrax

« Reply #80 on: September 24, 2010, 11:14:13 PM »
Yep, no problem   :)

Azimutz

• VoodooLabs
  • Paranoid Android
« Reply #81 on: September 24, 2010, 11:17:30 PM »
Black, nice :)

Scrax,

i have mixed feelings about this fixperms function; in this context it's not needed for the booter files (but it doesn't hurt) and messes executables; it's also known to mess with some kexts when applied on S/L/E to fix kexts permissions, but we don't deal with that here. Not sure if it can be a problem when it comes to fixing perms on E/E to build mkext?! but then, it's also not needed so... i'll kill it on my side and see what comes out.
Will do some more tests asap and note down any relevant stuff :)

About svn, will pm you...
 System & Patches: http://goo.gl/i961
 Chameleon:
- trunk builds: http://goo.gl/9G1Hq
- pref pane: http://goo.gl/OL2UT

ErmaC

• Resident
« Reply #82 on: September 26, 2010, 07:49:00 PM »
Hello everyone.
After several tests (thanks to Azimut and blackosx), I was able to use the SVN.
Thanks.

Returning to the topic.
I have a couple of questions and suggestions, to ask you.

It's ok the idea of the 3 pkg?
- Basic (make basic)
- Standard (make pkg)
- Advanced (make advanced)

It would be better to use different names? or reduce the number of packets?
My opinion is that the Basic pkg that could be used as a package only update ...

Waiting for news

Fabio
P6T Deluxe v1 i7 940 Quadro Fx 5600
P6T SE i7 920 GeForce GT 240

scrax

« Reply #83 on: September 28, 2010, 02:06:33 AM »
I think basic and standard can be just one pkg with:

Chameleon Base (One option autoselected)
- Standard
- boot0hfs
- Efi fat (Only if it's really considered usefull *)
- Efi HFS+ (Only if it's really considered usefull *)
- None
Options (All Unselected)
- example option1
    -Yes
    -No
-example opt2
    - 32bit
    - 64bit
-example opt3
    - 640x480x32
    - 1200x900x32
    - 1920x1080x32
Extra (all unselected)
- PrefPanel
- Kext
      - kext1
      - kext2
      - kext3

Always selected (hidden):
bdmesg
fdisk440
Documentations

If all but chameleon base is unselected when opening the package it's already a "just update" installer.
Or you need to have 4 base pkg (2 for standard install boot0 & boot0hfs, 2 for EFI install) to have less click when upgrading chameleon
(and I think how updates chameleon often actually are only people that can compile it from the source)
Note that upgrade is not always needed for boot0 and boot1h, for boot it's faster to use finder once compiled

I've added in my copy your pkg type string because I think that aside from the "official" installer a bigger one with a lot of stuff also from other projects could be useful but before that we need to have a full working base.

Another thing to do before IMHO is smbios.plist options like for c.a.B.p

*EFi installation questions:
I think that using the EFI partition is a bad idea, because we are breaking the GUID specifications and if Apple starts to use it all the EFI installations will screwed. A way more effective te have a vanilla install is to make a small volume (HFS+, FAT doesn't import) for just chameleon and Extra (if FAT it could also be accessed by other system for recovery ;)  )

For this reason I think it's better if we remove that options from the base install and make a specific EFI installer (with iFabio's change like: "make EFIpkg") to keep support for who has an EFI installation.

In conclusion for me it could be something like:

make pkg (for Standard Package with only Standard Chameleon selected)
make EFIpkg (for upgrading the already used EFI partitions)
make Advanced or whatever (for a fully loaded installer)

ErmaC

• Resident
« Reply #84 on: September 28, 2010, 05:18:13 AM »
ok scrax.
commit 156

I do part of your suggestion

edit the main make for efipkg,
now the "standard" pkg work and is ready!
(I use it for some test and... no problem) contain boot0 & boot0hfs and 3 basic themes

is a little step yep... but works! (missed the rest of language..)

also testing a new background.. (i make it in 2 min... so don't kill me)..

Fabio

note: the efi and advanced are "empy" so don't use it for now...

scrax

« Reply #85 on: September 28, 2010, 05:36:44 AM »
I like the new background!
It's simple and clear. Good job

For the buildpkg script why are you using?

cp -f ${pkgroot}/fdisk ${1}/Core/Root/i386

for what I know fdisk440 is the same as fdisk (the one in the trunk not the original in osx)

EDIT: I still think that Docs and bdmesg are also needed with any installer so I think i'll keep them in the basic (if they get overwritten it's not a problem).
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 05:42:58 AM by scrax »

ErmaC

• Resident
« Reply #86 on: September 28, 2010, 05:49:32 AM »
for what I know fdisk440 is the same as fdisk (the one in the trunk not the original in osx)

EDIT: I still think that Docs and bdmesg are also needed with any installer so I think i'll keep them in the basic (if they get overwritten it's not a problem).

:P my error... sorry... (I merge the thinks from my packagemaker version)...

yep fof docs and bdmesg!!! but... where? bdmesg in /Extra/util ?

Fabio

scrax

« Reply #87 on: September 28, 2010, 06:50:09 AM »
/usr/sbin is the default unix folder for executable and having it in the right place permits to launch it fro any folder witout the full address:

/usr/sbin/bdmesg
works with just:
tomaremac:~ scrax$ bdmesg

/Extra/Util/bdmesg
works only with:
tomaremac:~ scrax$ /Extra/Util/bdmesg

For documentation there is also already a folder:
/Library/Documentation
We just need to add:
/Library/Documentation/Chameleon

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2010, 11:24:17 PM »
Sorry I haven't been around but I've been busy working on other things.. but I see you've both been keeping busy!
So from a quick scoot here of the latest posts...

iFabio - I like the new background too.. Good job :)
and I have just built your 'Standard' package which works well.

*EFi installation questions:
I think that using the EFI partition is a bad idea, because we are breaking the GUID specifications and if Apple starts to use it all the EFI installations will screwed.
I think on real Mac's you will find Apple does already add stuff there but does it affect the hackintosh? Not so far, but I guess you're right to ask the queston. However, The EFI install is still a useful option for many users and it might still be a good idea to keep the EFI options in the standard installer. It might be worth running a poll to get an idea of how many people use the EFI partition for their Chameleon installations?

A way more effective te have a vanilla install is to make a small volume (HFS+, FAT doesn't import) for just chameleon and Extra (if FAT it could also be accessed by other system for recovery ;)  )
I use that method myself.

But overall guys, I see the sense in splitting the installer but I still think maybe just two: Standard and Advanced? I seem to remember in your previous installers all four options working well - (boot0, boot0hfs, EFI FAT, EFI GPT)?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 12:20:06 AM by Blackosx »

ErmaC

• Resident
« Reply #89 on: September 29, 2010, 03:29:27 AM »
hi.
this is not exactly a off topic...
http://www.filibeto.org/unix/macos/lib/dev/documentation/DeveloperTools/Reference/DistributionDefinitionRef/DistributionDefinitionRef.pdf

that pdf can help us to better know pkg building via script..

Fabio