Author Topic: Revisit Chameleon's package builder  (Read 144470 times)

ErmaC

• Resident
Re: Revisit Chameleon's package builder
« Reply #135 on: November 21, 2010, 12:21:31 AM »
Hi Blackosx.
I see your last commit in the SVN.

this Evening I upload a new file (Trunk 643) still based on your "TEST V1" from your commit 206
Just to offer and updated bootloader.

Also, relate to a new icon I wont say THANKS to RASONE for his great job with the icon.

Original chameleont image (chameleon 2 -the return- by ~nicobou on deviantART
 http://nicobou.deviantart.com/art/chameleon-2-the-return-27426356?q=sort%3Atime+favby%3Aefoja&qo=28)

Final Icon by RASONE (3D box and effect + chameleon Icon)
I use it in the next package :P

Fabio
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 12:38:44 AM by iFabio »
P6T Deluxe v1 i7 940 Quadro Fx 5600
P6T SE i7 920 GeForce GT 240

scrax

« Reply #136 on: November 21, 2010, 05:48:48 AM »
Fantastic Icon!  :)

zarac

• Observer
« Reply #137 on: November 22, 2010, 01:06:45 PM »
i was wondering if there is something i am missing with this installer. is it ready for testing?
i grabbed the installers from the Insanelymac topic and tried standard (non-EFI) install onto my USB stick with dumped snow leopard install dvd.
installer says "installation successful", but i can't boot the stick - i get a blinking cursor.
tried partitioning my stick with GUID and MBR partition schemes, also tried r643 and r629, but the same thing happens.
the stick is not broken, it boots after i install chameleon manually.

another weird thing: even though i selected numerous boot options in the installer (resolution, p and c states, gfxenabler, etc...) com.apple.Boot.plist inside Extra ends up empty.

am i doing somthing wrong (don't know how i can make a mistake with an installer)?
any thoughts?

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #138 on: November 22, 2010, 03:58:36 PM »
Hi zarac

To give a little light on where this thread is, Scrax and iFabio took the original Chameleon scripts and tweaked them to make revised installers which we tested here and there and iFabio released the work in his InsanelyMac topic for the 'Unnoficial Chameleon RC5 installer'.

Since then, I thought I'd give myself an opportunity to learn about shell scripting and started myself with a project here and that's how the Chameleon trial v1 installer came about.  It was based on the code in Scrax's branch which in turn is based on the original scripts used for the original Chameleon installer. I concentrated on giving the script some logic to install either boot0 or boot0hfs depending on the existence of a Windows installation and boot1h or boot1f32 depending on the format of the EFI system partition - see this post for more details. 

It was after personal testing of the revised code that I asked iFabio to host the package installer at his InsanelyMac topic for testing to gather some feedback, and in due course that came in, namely from kizwan. I then went off to put together a v2 trial but never got as far as releasing anything it as I found some issues with it. iFabio did prematurely release a build from my branch to his InsanelyMac topic, though it was pulled as immediately as I spotted it.

Since then, I have started again and there is new work-in-progress code in my branch which I am still working on when I get some spare time. There are a few things I still want to do with it and there are some parts which need correcting etc. but it's currently not yet ready for public release.

installer says "installation successful", but i can't boot the stick - i get a blinking cursor.
Thanks for the feedback from your tests with running the installer against your USB memory sticks. I hadn't really conducted much testing there and I'll add it to my to do list for the code I'm currently working with.

...it boots after i install chameleon manually.
Installing Chameleon manually in my opinion is still the best way to do it :)

another weird thing: even though i selected numerous boot options in the installer (resolution, p and c states, gfxenabler, etc...) com.apple.Boot.plist inside Extra ends up empty.
The v2 installer, which I never released, had a re-work for building the com.apple.Boot.plist and that was faulty..  Hence one of the reasons I am now working on the new installer in my branch. I think iFabio, copied the code from my branch to his branch in which case any future releases built around that code needs fixing! - though I think the last one iFabio released (see above) was based on the code from my commit 206 which should be the same as my v1 test installer but with the latest Chameleon trunk.

am i doing somthing wrong (don't know how i can make a mistake with an installer)?
Lol.. No, you're not doing anything wrong :)
Can I please ask for your patience here and continue using a manual install for the Chameleon bootloader until I find some spare time to get the code in my branch top a state where I am happy to release another trial?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 04:06:36 PM by Blackosx »
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #139 on: November 22, 2010, 04:08:08 PM »
Final Icon by RASONE (3D box and effect + chameleon Icon)
I use it in the next package :P
Hi Fabio

Lovely icon - and TBH, better than the one I tried to make for you  :P
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

zarac

• Observer
« Reply #140 on: November 22, 2010, 05:19:38 PM »
Thank you Blackosx for your quick reply. Now I understand the issues.

Can I please ask for your patience here and continue using a manual install for the Chameleon bootloader until I find some spare time to get the code in my branch top a state where I am happy to release another trial?

No problem. Actually, that was the first time i used the installer for Chameleon, usually it's terminal all the way for me.
I just wanted to let you know about my experience with this installer. I always have a "master" Chameleon USB stick (if I screw up the disk booter) and a few ones just for fiddling.
If you need any kind of testing, just let me know - I will gladly help with what I can.

Zarac

EDIT:
The new icon looks really great. Good job, RASONE!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 05:25:08 PM by zarac »

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #141 on: November 23, 2010, 12:00:23 AM »
No problem. Actually, that was the first time i used the installer for Chameleon, usually it's terminal all the way for me.
An installer can be considered lazy and also it doesn't really teach the user anything about what's been done to their system, so maybe this isn't such a good project?  :P  But I have learnt by doing this so for me at least it's been worth it.

I just wanted to let you know about my experience with this installer.
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

I always have a "master" Chameleon USB stick (if I screw up the disk booter) and a few ones just for fiddling.
Same here.. I have a bootable USB hanging on my notice board for emergency purposes and I have needed it on the odd occasion.

If you need any kind of testing, just let me know - I will gladly help with what I can.
Thanks. I'll bear it i mind :)

Also, I've just done a quick couple of tests running the latest 'work-in-progress' installer from my branch against a USB memory stick.
Test1 - Install to a USB partitioned in disk utility with 'Mac OS Extended' format and using a GUID partition table.
Test2 - Install to a USB partitioned in disk utility with 'MS-DOS (FAT)' format and using a GUID partition table.
Test3 - Install to a USB partitioned in disk utility with 'MS-DOS (FAT)' format and using a Master Boot Record.

Tests and 1 and 2 boot successfully, but test 3 fails.

EDIT: Updated the scripts to now detect FAT16 and FAT32, as before my test 3 against a USB with MBR failed because it was using FAT16. MBR installs work only when the device is using FAT32.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 09:32:44 AM by Blackosx »

ErmaC

• Resident
« Reply #142 on: November 26, 2010, 04:41:27 PM »
Blackosx
Can I upload your commit 243 @IM?
TEST purpose?

Fabio

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #143 on: November 26, 2010, 07:19:27 PM »
Hi Fabio  ;D

Please can I ask for your patience and don't post it yet? The interface hasn't been touched at all and although it works pretty well, I would like to tweak it further yet. But by all means you're more than welcome to test the latest build personally and give feedback here.

The latest puzzle I have is installing to a drive using MBR..... the test I have done is:

A - in Disk Utility, erase a 2GB USB as MS-DOS
B - in Disk Utility, erase a 500GB HDD as MS-DOS

Then run the latest installer package against both, selecting the same options for each and after rebooting:

A - Booting from the USB, Chameleon's GUI loads and I can successfully select and boot my OS X installation on a different drive.
B - Booting from the HDD, Chameleon loads but only presents the CLI as it doesn't find my /Extra folder, therefore although I can select my OS installation on a different drive, it fails to boot.

I've just tried installing to the HDD again with RC4 and although I see the GUI, it's because the theme was embedded. But the same happens in that it doesn't find the /Extra folder.

EDIT: Well after some more testing I now know the setup will work from HDD as long as I add a HFS partition. This I guess makes sense as why would anybody install Chameleon to a hard drive using an MBR partition scheme with only a single FAT32 partition?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 11:05:28 PM by Blackosx »

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #144 on: November 28, 2010, 08:07:05 PM »
Can I upload your commit 243 @IM?
TEST purpose?
Hi Fabio

I am now happy for you to upload the built package file from commit 246 to IM for testing if you want. I have included the Resources/English.lprog folder back now with revised text files which gives a ReadMe, some usage instructions and notes in the package installer itself.  I would like it to use your lovely icon but I haven't looked at adding that myself, so if you would like to add it before posting the feel free, if not then no problem :)

For more details for your IM post here's a changelog

Changelog from v2 (prematurely released and pulled) to v2.1b
• Whole package re-built from scratch with Apple's PackageMaker.
• Uses and builds upon the original Chameleon installer scripts which are now split in to a modular workflow with notes and comments etc. to suit my working style.
• Un-mounts all volumes with the name "EFI" before attempting to install to the EFI system partition (thanks kizwan).
• Re-worked the creation of the com.apple.Boot.plist and the /Extra folder.
• Added detection for FAT16 to stop installation with smaller USB memory sticks.
• Installation of Chameleon files stopped if found existence of GRUB / Linux Loader.
• Added a basic error log which is written to the target volume.
• Added Resources/English.lproj back in with revised text files to allow extra language support at a later date.
• Added Mozodojo's version of Netkas' fakesmc which works from /Extra.
• Installs Chameleon RC5 trunk 644.

Note: This is still a work-in-progress and there are things I still want to add in time, for example, installation to software RAID, expand the log file process and I need to learn more about the GRUB / Linux loader and how installing Chameleon affects it.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 08:14:08 PM by Blackosx »

ErmaC

• Resident
« Reply #145 on: November 28, 2010, 10:26:35 PM »
ok ;)

I post it later with your description in the "TEST PGK" zone :P

And I add the Icon ;)

EDIT: DONE!

---

Have you try to reverse this script into a script version (pkg builder)? the old way for make the package...

Fabio
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 10:49:59 PM by iFabio »

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #146 on: November 28, 2010, 10:47:15 PM »
I post it later with your description in the "TEST PGK" zone :P
And I add the Icon ;)
Great - I look forward to some feedback from it - I'll check in to Insanely to help out.

Have you try to reverse this script into a script version (pkg builder)? the old way for make the package...
No. I haven't looked in to that yet. If you know more, please feel free to take the code from branch and run tests.

ErmaC

• Resident
« Reply #147 on: November 28, 2010, 11:11:29 PM »
;) DONE

I just download it from your branch in commit 246
added the icon an zipped it

Fabio

I will try to mix your script with the old official script method...

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #148 on: November 28, 2010, 11:23:40 PM »
I will try to mix your script with the old official script method...
Okay - I'll be interested in learning what you do :)

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #149 on: November 30, 2010, 03:18:31 PM »
Question to whoever knows the answer?

The original chameleon standard postinstall script uses the following line:
Code: [Select]
"${bootresources}/Tools/SetFile" -a V "${bootvolume}/${filesystemloader}"
I know the SetFile command comes with Apple developer tools but what happens when this line is run on a machine without the developer tools, does it just fail?  I mean I can't find the SetFile binary in the original chameleon package installer, so if it's not available I guess the boot file doesn't get hidden.

The reason I ask is because I was trying to use the command in the package installer in my branch but without including the Apple binary in the package I can't see how it will work. So what's the rule here, am I allowed to include, therefore effectively redistribute the Apple binary?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 03:52:08 PM by Blackosx »