Author Topic: [Theme] Simplist - Vertically Clean  (Read 9020 times)

Enzo

• Resident
[Theme] Simplist - Vertically Clean
« on: July 31, 2010, 11:35:23 PM »

Hello all,
I had some inspiration for a theme the other day, and was able to quickly construct this due to its simplicity.

About this Theme:
  • It is designed for a screen resolution of 1680x1050.
  • Installation Instructions Here if you need them.
  • Resizing all graphics may be necessary for other resolutions. Refer to the Resizing Themes Guide.
  • Admittedly, this V. 1.0 puts aesthetics first. Maybe it was rushed? =P.  My initial testing of the theme does show that there are a few possible issues that could arise. See Technical Notes below.
  • Maybe with some testing, and depending on the feedback I receive, I may change the default behavior.
  • Lastly, let me know if you have any requests, in regards to the background, or the icons. Alternates are bound to come. Or I could upload the PSD files.

Technical Notes:
  • As you may notice, partitions are represented by icons only. The generated text of every partition's name is effectively hidden by being the same color as the background.
  • The up/down scroll arrows are embedded in the background image (device_scroll_next/prev icons are blank).
  • As with all vertical themes (I believe), the menu is rendered useless.

Thank You.
To all the great people behind Chameleon.
and for all the kind comments on my DType Theme.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 03:35:02 AM by Enzo »

Enzo

• Resident
Re: [Theme] Simplist - Vertically Clean
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 11:36:27 PM »
1. Regarding the "lack" of text. Obviously, this can be a problem if you have multiple bootable partitions of the same type, i.e. several HFS+ devices listed.

*You can of course use the included alternate font_small file if you'd like to un-hide the respective test. You lose some of the aesthetics, but you gain the appropriate functionality.

2. Regarding the embedded scroll arrows: I liked the idea of both being permanently on the second "options" screen. Also, they imply interaction for me in the first "timeout" screen, voiding the need for the "Press any key to enter startup options" text, which again, is hidden by default. However, this could be a problem in the way your devices happen to be laid out. They could overlap with the arrows. I noticed the overall vertical position of the devices would change depending on how many partitions are listed, and also by the allowed max_devices within the theme.plist. The change seemed independent of each other. You could have only 3 partitions, and have max_devices = 3, then change this to 4, while still only listing 3 partitions, I noticed Chameleon still changed the overall positioning! Strange. (Theme is set for max_devices = 3)

*You could simply use the alternate background.png that does not include the arrows. As well as revert to the alternate device_scroll_next/prev which are not blank. Or you can mess with the theme.plist and adjust: devices_pos_y value. You'll want higher negative values to raise the overall positioning.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 08:32:36 AM by Enzo »

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 09:58:21 AM »
Hi Enzo

Good job with this and for carrying on with your clean minimalist themes.
Always great to see another theme here :)
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

voodoofanatic

• Entrant
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 06:46:35 AM »
Excellent as always, Enzo.  Another theme to go with my default DType selection (also from you of course).  Thanks so much!