Author Topic: [POLL] Chameleon RC5 default theme - Device Icon Style  (Read 7253 times)

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
[POLL] Chameleon RC5 default theme - Device Icon Style
« on: August 03, 2010, 08:37:11 AM »
You should all know that RC5 is coming on well now with new features, tweaks and bug fixes and we now also have the chance of a new default theme. Work has already been done with creating a theme and the criteria for this default theme was to be a smaller but better looking/more consistent default theme with the aim of keeping the maximum file size of each device at 8K.

The main focus has been on the device icons which I have now nailed down to one look (you can follow the progress which led to this point here), however there are still choices to be made as to how they will be finished. The choices are as follows:

A logo shaped holes in the device icons (allowing the selection to shine through) or not?
B background colour
C device icon colour (they will all be the same to keep it looking clean)

This poll is for A only, and I might follow up with a secondary poll for a choice of colours.

Note: I understand that a theme can be of personal taste and one theme will never satisfy everyone, so please understand that to get a theme finished we need to keep the options limited. Therefore, any comments about this theme will be taken in to account for the final release though new theme suggestions will be left for another time.

To base your decision, here's a preview of the two styles I currently have, each showing non-selected and selected state of icons:

Without logo holes

With logo holes (allowing the selection to shine through)

Thanks
:)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 05:54:45 PM by Blackosx »
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

spalek83

Re: [POLL] Chameleon RC5 default theme - Device Icon Style
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 04:48:40 AM »
A: logo shaped holes in the device icons (allowing the selection to shine through) or not?
Yes, with the Holes. Makes it seems more professional.. somehow.

B & C: Please, no brown. I know it can be changed, but shit brown in the ui is already ubuntu's territory.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 05:36:59 AM by spalek83 »
10.7 + Win 7 + Ubuntu
SyncMaster 2433BW ~ GA-P55M-UD4 ~ i7 860 ~ GTS 250 ~ SAMSUNG HD103UJ/1TB

Gringo Vermelho

• Forum Moderator
  • The gray monster energy hat
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 11:52:46 PM »
A: The drive icons look great.
I guess I'd have to see them in action to see which combination I like best. I think I'd prefer the ones with just the green LED. How about posting an animated gif that toggles between the two just to better convey the effect..? Maybe that's a silly idea.

B & C: I'm not a fan of the brown color scheme either. Combine the brown with the dead alien flesh "green" background color you have going in the patches thread and I'd rather stick with the command prompt.

Brown reminds me of Ubuntu, the Commodore 64, and yellow/brown monochromatic display terminals at my dad's job in the mid 80's. 

/EDIT

I installed the latest RC5 from svn. After seeing it in person I have to say that I think the new theme looks great as it is.
Anyone who doesn't like the background color - you can easily change it by editing info.plist inside the theme folder.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 02:41:35 AM by Gringo Vermelho »
10.9.5 - ASUS P8Z77-V Pro - i5 3570K - GTX 660 - Chameleon 2.3 svn-r2xxx
How to...
Install Chameleon: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,649
Make your own Chameleon boot CD: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,484.msg2131.html#msg2131

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 08:39:14 AM »
Well, after 305 views of this post we have 17 votes!
A massive success (Not!)... I guess a lot of people just don't really care about Chameleon's theme? (In hindsight, maybe the images I put in the opening post were not the best to demonstrate the question?)

Well thanks to those who did vote, and to spalek83 and Gringo for your comments.

As the opening post said, this wasn't about colour but just a choice of whether or not logo shaped holes in the drive was a good idea or not, and here we have a majority vote for without, which is good news as we have progressed since with the new default theme without logo holes, and soon to be without any holes.

If anybody else wants to have some input on Chameleon's new default theme then feel free to post in the thread where it's going on.
http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,1432.msg7735.html#msg7735

The general plan is to have two themes:
• One simple, lovely and clean, uniform, small theme for embedding.
• One fully rendered rollover theme using larger icons with lighting and shadows for a bit of eye candy.

But please remember, one theme can't please everybody and that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  :)
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB