overdue-scratch

Author Topic: Grub2 support  (Read 3777 times)

sparkythewondersquid

• Observer
Grub2 support
« on: August 09, 2010, 07:16:52 AM »
I have googled my brains out, stayed up night after night called in sick from work and I cannot get grub2 and Chameleon to work together there are posts on using grub2 to boot chameleon but not the other way around and rolling back grub2 (I use sabayon) does not work (to remove grub2 it also removes the kernel) I am using rc5 r241. hope it will again work so I can stop booting with super grub disk Thank You:)

aatkco

• Entrant
Re: Grub2 support
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 02:49:35 AM »
I'm Running Grub2 and Chameleon together dude !
Steps I followed :
1. Installed Windows 7 Ultimate x64
2. Installed Snow Leopard
3. Snow Leopard now auto boots and Win 7 Loader is gone so I installed Chameleon
4. Chameleon now boots both 7 and Snow Leopard but I need Ubuntu so I Installed it AND INSTALLED GRUB INTO hd6 which is ubuntu partition number INSTEAD OF hd0 which means the whole hard disk , You can find this option under "Advanced" option in the ubuntu's installation process .
5. Now Chameleon shows Linux icon and when opening it , it opens grub 2 and loads ubuntu within 10 Seconds :)

BTW my Triple boot isn't that rose because I recently updated to 10.6.4 and got Kernel Panic upron the finish installation restart :( .
Good Luck

sparkythewondersquid

• Observer
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 06:29:36 AM »
Thank you for the reply
   I have found out that with fedora it works but it is still using grub legacy I never did get it to work with sabayon (grub 1.98) it would just not show up in the boot menu (Chameleon RC5 r241) dont know why it works for some but not others

aatkco

• Entrant
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 02:54:57 PM »
Thank you for the reply
   I have found out that with fedora it works but it is still using grub legacy I never did get it to work with sabayon (grub 1.98) it would just not show up in the boot menu (Chameleon RC5 r241) dont know why it works for some but not others
Follow my instructions and 100% it will work.
I don't prefer using old grub 1 version because it may not support this issue .
And REMEMBER THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS TO INSTALL GRUB 2 INTO THE UBUNTU PARTITION AND NOT THE WHOLE HARD DISK.

sparkythewondersquid

• Observer
Re: Grub2 support<SOLVED>
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 05:59:11 AM »
Ok found the answer if you go back fron gparted after the install and remove "boot" and "hidden" flags from Linux partitions it boots from Chameleon no problem Thank you for the help aatkco:)