overdue-scratch

Author Topic: Chameleon only loads if I boot to Windows BCD first  (Read 2070 times)

eido

• Entrant
Chameleon only loads if I boot to Windows BCD first
« on: August 10, 2010, 04:09:25 AM »
I had to put a new hdd in my laptop, and I did exactly the same procedure I did before to get OSX and Windows dualbooting from the same hdd (format w/ disk utility, install windows, install OSX), but when I make the OSX partition with chameleon active, it doesn't start chameleon, it only gives me a black screen with a blinking cursor....

If I make the windows partition active and use EasyBCD to add an OSX entry I have no problem booting into chameleon and then to OSX or back the the windows boot menu,

I'd really like to just boot directly to chameleon and have that working, can anyone offer some advice?

System Specs:
720QM i7 processor
ATI Radeon HD Mobility 4670
6 GB RAM

homergdog

• Entrant
Re: Chameleon only loads if I boot to Windows BCD first
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 10:09:06 PM »
I've gone back and forth with both my personal PC and laptop and never found a way to make chameleon the **only** bootloader that I see with 1 hard drive installed. With 2 hard drives installed its very very simple, on the windows hard drive have the windows default bcd loaded with no startup menu and on the osx hard drive have chaemleon loaded... in bios direct the default disk to mac osx and then chameleon is the only bootloader you see.

Your problem is you only have 1 hard drive installed (with 2 partitions). I don't think there is a way around using the windows BCD (EasyBCD) setup.

eido

• Entrant
Re: Chameleon only loads if I boot to Windows BCD first
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 11:13:30 PM »
I had it working on the old drive using just chameleon and boot to the os x partition...

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/11/dual-boot-windows-7-and-os-x-snow.html

That's the guide I followed both times, only this time it isn't working out...