overdue-scratch

Author Topic: How to load VoodooHDA.kext from /Extra/Extensions ?  (Read 46491 times)

DooV

How to load VoodooHDA.kext from /Extra/Extensions ?
« on: April 15, 2009, 11:48:19 AM »
Hi, I'm trying to load VoodooHDA.kext from my extra folder with no success. The permissions are correct, and I've tryed both: putting the kext inside /Extra/Extensions and a /Extra/extensions.mkext.

In fact I even tryed to add

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>
   <string>Root</string>

to its plist.

I think I'm missing something...

Thanks in advance.

fassl

• VoodooLabs
Re: How to load VoodooHDA.kext from /Extra/Extensions ?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 12:39:44 PM »
You can't load it from there because it is probably missing dependencies.

DooV

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 12:41:36 PM »
Ok, thanks for the info  ;)

gujal

• Entrant
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 12:43:55 PM »
it works from /Extra in EFI partition nicely, it needs IOAudioFamily.kext and OSvKernDSPLib.kext installed in /Extra to satisfy dependencies
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 02:10:09 AM by gujal »

jjduro

• Entrant
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 10:34:03 AM »
wadaya know? it works in EFI Partition also :) Any chance to include those kexts as plugins for voodoohda.kext?

sckevyn

• VoodooLabs
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 12:18:41 AM »
No, those are left to the user since those are OS version dependant. =)

sleeepy

• Entrant
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 12:53:32 PM »

This did not work for me, even with the extra dependencies included, although it will work from /System/Library/Extensions.

I have a AD2000B

twr

• Entrant
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 02:40:00 PM »
hi people !

been fighting with this issue too for a while now (in order to get a full retail installation with all "iHack" stuff located in /Extra/ folder), and finally made it work doing theses steps :
- add "<key>OSBundleRequired</key><string>Root</string>" to VoodooHDA.kext info.plist
- copy vanilla dependencies (both IOAudioFamily.kext & OSvKernDSPLib.kext) to /E/E/ folder
- add "<key>OSBundleRequired</key><string>Root</string>" to their info.plist and the first one's plugin info.plist
- chmod -R 755 & chown -R root:wheel /E/E/ & /S/L/E/
- rm -R /S/L/E.*
- reboot using -v & -f flags (just in case & to see what's going on ...)

should work (it actually did on my rig, whereas I had to put VoodooHDA.kext into /S/L/E/ before) ...

my rig :
- Asrock 945G-DVI mobo with 1.90 untouched BIOS (including ALC888 audio, not working at all with 1.20 HDA patcher & HDAenabler.kext ... but very well, outpout & inputs, due to the voodoo team !)
- C2D E6300 a bit overclocked
- 2 SATA & 1 PATA HDs / PATA DVD-DL burner
- 3 GB DDR2 @ 667 MHz
- 10.5.0 retail install + 10.5.6 combo update + AppleDecrypt / VoodooPS2 / VoodooHDA / Disabler in /E/E/ & E/Extensions.mkext + DSDT.aml made by DSDTPatcherGUI + Chameleon 2 RC1
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 03:36:06 PM by twr »

CHOPPER

• Entrant
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 09:01:24 PM »
hi people !

been fighting with this issue too for a while now (in order to get a full retail installation with all "iHack" stuff located in /Extra/ folder), and finally made it work doing theses steps :
- add "<key>OSBundleRequired</key><string>Root</string>" to VoodooHDA.kext info.plist
- copy vanilla dependencies (both IOAudioFamily.kext & OSvKernDSPLib.kext) to /E/E/ folder
- add "<key>OSBundleRequired</key><string>Root</string>" to their info.plist and the first one's plugin info.plist
- chmod -R 755 & chown -R root:wheel /E/E/ & /S/L/E/
- rm -R /S/L/E.*
- reboot using -v & -f flags (just in case & to see what's going on ...)

should work (it actually did on my rig, whereas I had to put VoodooHDA.kext into /S/L/E/ before) ...

They Buddy nice 1 for that its been bugging me for a while now your method works perfectly good work and a special thanks to voodoo labs/chameleon team (who ever made it )  for making this possible. :) :) :) :) :) :)

**Maybe as suggested in pervious post to include dependancies in the next release to save using IOAudioFamily.kext & OSvKernDSPLib.kext in extra/efi partition if possible??**

GA-EP45C-DS3R
A899a 

twr

• Entrant
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 09:45:40 AM »
I'm glad it did the trick for you too ...

No offense, but I'm not sure to follow you about including the required vanilla .kexts, especially reading that :

No, those are left to the user since those are OS version dependant. =)

Maybe a legacy kext ??

edit: no issue installing 10.5.7 through Apple Update ; before restarting, I just put the new - and modified according to my "method" - vanilla kext into E/E/ and everything went OK ...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 11:11:09 AM by twr »

diamondsw

• Observer
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 05:53:17 PM »

Thanks for the tip, although at least in my case I didn't have to modify IOAudioFamily.kext & OSvKernDSPLib.kext at all. Just copied them over to /Extra/Extensions.

Given that I know a) jack and b) squat about how the kernel loads extensions and dependencies, is there any possibility at all that this could be resolved later, and allow us to move it outside of /S/L/E without bringing system kexts along for the ride?

rcfa

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2009, 08:23:21 AM »
This did not work for me, even with the extra dependencies included, although it will work from /System/Library/Extensions.

Same here, I have an EeePC 1000HE, not quite clear what audio device is in there...
...since although the sound works with this extension loaded from /System/Library/Extensions the System Profiler claims there's no Audio interface present...

I know it's some sort of RealTek device, but I don't know the model number.

I guess I could add the OSBundleRequired = Root property everywhere, but that's too much of a hack, because it defeats the entire point of these properties. IMO Chameleon needs to be fixed in that regards, because it knows the kernel flags, i.e. the boot mode, and thus it should be able to resolve/boot these no matter what boot mode, and we should not have to put bogus properties into kexts....

Hopefully this will at some point in time make it into Chameleon, in the mean time, I'll let things live in my /System/Library/Extensions folder as a reminder ;)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 08:28:24 AM by rcfa »

BuildSmart

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 09:09:52 AM »
When the entire source for the kext and prepPane are available I'll fix the kext so it will load from anywhere regardless of dependancies and yes this is possible and would not be the first time I've done this but since the available source doesn't work with the prefPane it's pointless to modify it so I'm waiting.

Kabyl

• VoodooLabs
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 10:27:42 AM »
When the entire source for the kext and prepPane are available I'll fix the kext so it will load from anywhere regardless of dependancies and yes this is possible and would not be the first time I've done this but since the available source doesn't work with the prefPane it's pointless to modify it so I'm waiting.

The maintainer seems busy with other things, and didn't get a chance to update the repository. Besides, I don't see why the sources are needed to achieve this, could you explain how?

BuildSmart

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 10:10:14 AM »
I use code to delay loading until the required drivers are loaded.