Author Topic: Install Chameleon to the MBR  (Read 6089 times)

jpcanaverde

• Entrant
Install Chameleon to the MBR
« on: August 30, 2010, 12:43:34 PM »
Hi. I have a 120Gb hard disk, with Windows 7, Ubuntu and Mac OS X Snow Leopard, installed on different partitions.

I have Chameleon installed to my pendrive, so I just plug it in and start Chameleon... But I decided to install it to the MBR of my hard disk.

I had Grub2 installed to the MBR, and already had experience of installing chameleon to the pendrive... So I opened up a terminal, cd to the i386 folder of chameleon, and started inserting the commands to install Chameleon. Followed all the instructions correctly, installation successful, and restarted.

Now Grub didn't show up. That's fine, I wanted to replace Grub by Chameleon. But instead of Chameleon it appears Windows.

So, went back to OS X, and tried again, with different guides... I even installed some automatic installers... Nothing worked.

So I went to OS X Leopard that I have on a external hard disk, in case that I couldn't install Chameleon on the same drive I am... Nothing worked too.

So, I'm here so maybe someone can help me to install Chameleon to the MBR, so I can make Chameleon to show up, instead of Windows.

Thanks for everything,

JPCanaverde

jpcanaverde

• Entrant
Re: Install Chameleon to the MBR
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 12:44:34 AM »
Bump. Anyone?

Probably it's something stupid, like me forgetting to do something basic... Just need someone to point me to the right direction...

But I wanna to thank you and congrat you for all your hard work. You've made a pretty bootloader. Love it! That's why I want it on the MBR...

Can you help me, please?

Thanks.

P.S. I love the Chameleon logo. :D

Zane

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 03:50:31 AM »
Just so you know, what you are asking is what chameleon does. Boot into OS X and then follow this tutorial here

I'll elaborate more when I get back.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 03:55:56 AM by Zane »
http://bit.ly/osx86log Lenovo Y550P OSx86 Log
http://bit.ly/envyosx64log HP Envy 15 1150nr OSx64 log

jpcanaverde

• Entrant
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 10:18:15 AM »
That's one of the tutorials I followed. But when I get to the part to make active my Mac partition, I get that the partition number is not valid, or something like that...

Zane

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 01:07:18 PM »
That's one of the tutorials I followed. But when I get to the part to make active my Mac partition, I get that the partition number is not valid, or something like that...

There we go. I replied to another guy in a thread first. so i'll just copy and paste here.

I said i did elaborate further. What i was gonna elaborate was to use StartUpManager in Ubuntu to set boot time Timeout to 0.

If you need more information, its here

If you are unable to make your partition active. I suggest using Gparted which can be found here and set the boot flag to your hfs+ partition OR use Diskpart in windows to do it. If i'm not wrong, to set your partition active in windows the commands are.

List disk <- listing your disks
Select disk x <- Change x to the number of your main HDD
List partition <- listing your partitions in your main HDD
Select partition x <- Change x to the partition number of your OS X.
make active <- making it active.

EDIT: Oh. and about the guide in chameleon, do use the ./fdisk440 included with the chameleon. It prevents rewriting over any Windows signature that is REQUIRED to boot windows.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 01:10:08 PM by Zane »
http://bit.ly/osx86log Lenovo Y550P OSx86 Log
http://bit.ly/envyosx64log HP Envy 15 1150nr OSx64 log

jpcanaverde

• Entrant
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 12:06:05 AM »
Thanks! The issue was that the OS X partition was logical. So, created a primary 100MB HFS+ partition, with the boot flag, and made it active. Then, installed chameleon to it, copied apple.com.Boot.plist, the extra folder, and such, and voilá. Chameleon shows up.

Thanks for everything. Now just need to fix the black screen issue that I have after updating to 10.6.4... :P

I would post the topic link if it was permitted...

Again, thank you. You can close/lock the topic.

And continue with the excellent work! :D