Author Topic: Curious lack or resolution of issue  (Read 3315 times)

AndrewNZ

• Entrant
Curious lack or resolution of issue
« on: August 30, 2010, 12:53:52 PM »
Hello all.

I don't believe in asking in the forums as I can use Google to answer questions. Usually. Not this time though.

I want my laptop Hackintosh to boot to the Chameleon bootloader, and thus allow me to choose an icon to boot OS X SL, or Win7.

Both OSes reside on the same HDD. The first OS is OS X. The second Win7. The only working dual boot I can achieve is for the Windows boot manager to allow me to boot into MacOSX_NST or Windows 7. So if I want to boot into OS X, I let the boot run uninterrupted and eventually it loads SL desktop. And if I want to boot into Windows 7, I arrow key to that item in the Windows boot manager screen and hit enter.

If I boot into the Chameleon bootloader, and I choose the Win7 icon, it takes me back to the Windows 7 boot manager screen, instead of booting directly into Win7.

Not very elegant, I'm sure you'll agree. It works though, in a sort of amateur way, so all is not lost. But I thought Chameleon would offer a more elegant solution. In fact, as far as i can figure, I can boot into both OSes without Chameleon even being there at all.

So, how do I get the Win7 icon in Chameleon to boot into Windows without going back through the boot manager? And how do I get Chameleon to boot directly without going through the Windows boot manager?

Anybody able to help?

Thanks in advance.

kulfon77

• Entrant
Re: Curious lack or resolution of issue
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 04:37:58 PM »
Install Chameleon on MBR using fdisk and play with Windows' booting settings

AndrewNZ

• Entrant
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 12:35:48 PM »

It's on an MBR partitioned scheme now. Can you explain the "using fdisk and play with Windows booting settings" comment? Seems a little vague. Is it a case of trial and error? Or can you point me to a link that describes what exactly I can do to resolve my issues?

Help gratefully received.

Zane

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 01:04:44 PM »

It's on an MBR partitioned scheme now. Can you explain the "using fdisk and play with Windows booting settings" comment? Seems a little vague. Is it a case of trial and error? Or can you point me to a link that describes what exactly I can do to resolve my issues?

Help gratefully received.

First. Undo any changes you made to your Windows Boot Manager.

Then i'll quote what i said to another guy.

Just so you know, what you are asking is what chameleon does. Boot into OS X and then follow this tutorial here

I'll elaborate more when I get back.

If you are unable to make your partition active. I suggest using Gparted which can be found here and set the boot flag to your hfs+ partition OR use Diskpart in windows to do it. If i'm not wrong, to set your partition active in windows the commands are.

List disk <- listing your disks
Select disk x <- Change x to the number of your main HDD
List partition <- listing your partitions in your main HDD
Select partition x <- Change x to the partition number of your OS X.
make active <- making it active.

EDIT: Oh. and about the guide in chameleon, do use the ./fdisk440 included with the chameleon. It prevents rewriting over any Windows signature that is REQUIRED to boot windows.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 01:09:44 PM by Zane »
http://bit.ly/osx86log Lenovo Y550P OSx86 Log
http://bit.ly/envyosx64log HP Envy 15 1150nr OSx64 log