Author Topic: VoodooPower on a Macbook?  (Read 8204 times)

Mitch

• Entrant
VoodooPower on a Macbook?
« on: December 08, 2010, 03:20:38 PM »
 Hi there,
I'm a complete newbie, so - in advance - apologies if this is a trivial question. As I observed from the forum, most people use VoodooPower on hardware that was set up, such that it runs os x. Has anyone ever used VoodooPower on a Macbook? Should it be set up in the same way as on "non-Apple" Hardware? Which version should be used?
I appreciate your help!
Mitch

Mitch

• Entrant
Re: VoodooPower on a Macbook?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 11:10:51 PM »
 Hey everybody,
sadly, nobody could give me the answer. Maybe I should explain my motivation a little further: I have a mid 2008 Macbook unibody which gets hot even with simple tasks like running 5 safari windows (71°C) or flash websites (85°C and more). In my search for a solution I stumbled upon an app called CoolBook, which can be used for setting multipliers and voltages (the same can be done in windows using rmclock, on second thought, most of you might already know). Coolbook is not to expensive (10$), however the author doesn't seem to be someone to whom I'd like to give money:

1. The unregistered version does not allow for any function testing (it only displays temperature, frequencies and voltages and temperatures).

2. Citation from the manual:
"Purchasing a license
You need to read and accept the following terms and conditions, before purchasing a license using PayPal.
1, This license will work with one unique computer only. The customer is allowed to reset the license once. This in the event of broken and repaired computer.  It is not possible to transfer the license to a new computer.
2, Use a valid email address. Without this, the customer won't receive the registration information.
3, No refunds will be made for multiple purchases, made by "mistake". If you had problems paying, contact PayPal. Don't keep on buying. The purchases eventually get registered, and you have to pay for all of them."
This doesn't sound very "costumer-centered".

3. There has been some discussion whether the author was advertising his own work using duplicate identities in the arstechnica-forum (see http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=255801)

Therefore I was looking for a better alternative but only found superhais work which turned into VoodooPower (hope I got that right). Now, all people using VoodooPower I know do not use it on original Apple hardware. I would love to get some feedback from you, so that I can solve my heat issues without buying CoolBook.
Thanks alot for your help!
Mitch