overdue-scratch

Author Topic: my Ubuntu boot option keeps disapearing  (Read 2104 times)

scrappyddz

• Entrant
my Ubuntu boot option keeps disapearing
« on: September 24, 2010, 05:43:09 AM »
My scenario: MSI Wind U100 netbook. I created one partition and installed Mac OS X on it, works great! I created a second (and third for swap) partition for Ubuntu 10.4 but during the install process I had it NOT install a boot manager because the install GUI would not allow me to install it directly to the linux partition (sda3) it was an option in the drop down menu, but the "ok" button would grey out. So I loaded the ubuntu cd again and was about to mount and install grub(2?) to the partition, it said it completed with no errors.

I booted back in to OSX, installed Chameleon, which sees OSX
---
update:

I seemed to have fixed "something" by booting to ubuntu live cd and using terminal to do a grub-install --force --root-directory=/mnt/ /dev/sda3

drops me to a grub> prompt

I'll keep plugging away...
---
NOT solved yet, but getting closer

with :https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2

Express Boot to the Most Recent Kernel

Command Summary *:
set root=(hdX,Y)

linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sdXY ro

initrd /initrd.img

boot

Expanded Instructions *:

Press ENTER after completing each line. Some entries will not provide feedback. This is normal.
If a "file not found" or similar error message is displayed while running these commands, ensure you are using the correct X,Y values. The ls command can help determine the correct values. Once the X,Y values are confirmed run the following command:

set prefix=(hdX,Y)/boot/grub

1*. set root=(hdX,Y)
Type with correct X,Y results from the ls command and press ENTER. Remember GRUB 2 counts the first drive as 0, the first partition as 1. Example: If the Ubuntu system is on sda5, enter: set root=(hd0,5)
2*. linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sdXY ro
Example: linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda3 ro

* Wubi users see note.
3. initrd /initrd.img
Selects the latest initrd image.
4. boot
Boot to the latest kernel on the selected partition.
* Wubi users only - substitute these commands in Steps 1 and 2:

set root=(loop0)
linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sdXY loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro

These changes are not permanent. After successfully booting into the system the user should run sudo update-grub and inspect the GRUB 2 configuration file (/boot//grub/grub.cfg). For problems with booting the main linux kernel, ensure the search, linux, and initrd lines in the [### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###] section of the file now correctly point to the correct locations. The user may need to reinstall GRUB 2 (sudo grub-install /dev/sdX).

AND THEN doing (below) AGAIN

booting to ubuntu live cd and using terminal to do a grub-install --force --root-directory=/mnt/ /dev/sda3
reboot

Chameleon will see both bootable partition upon boot, but once you boot to Ubuntu and do your thing. When you reboot, the linux boot partition is gone again, untill you ... do a grub-install --force --root-directory=/mnt/ /dev/sda3 from the ubuntu installation cd

and the cycle continues... any advise greatly appreciated!