Chameleon > DevTalk

moving to GIT?

(1/7) > >>

Mozodojo:
I think GIT is more suitable for our business with many branches and devs. I want to see latest Kabyl and Merklort changes, but how? With SVN it's not so simple to move changes from one branch to another or trunc. I found good article about GIT brunching: http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/. Where is more terminal work but I think it's worth it.

Moderator Edit: Discussion about the structure of the DevTalk category has its own thread here. Let's keep this one for Repo front/back end preferences. Sorry for the temp off-topic guys. 

Mozodojo:
I can't to describe clearly, but I think existed chameleon development system is not so effective like it could be. It's like we are not working together but forking trunc and playing with new features. Some good features is going to trunc after, and some very good features are frozen in dev's branches. For example, if I want to integrate latest Kabyl changes into trunc and finish them? it would be not so simple if Kabyl have changed file names or added new files. All the work I need to do manually on my hard drive with previously downloaded trunc sources and kabyl sources with help of diff/merge software. I can't to merge changes historically, commit by commit (and only Kabyl's comits), cos SVN lacks a features.

So, what do you think?

valv:
hi mozodojo,

If it has to be done, than better to go with both. Bazaar+SSH+Trac could do the trick. I assume it is unusual, but if needed, I could give a hand.
Why ?
because most of us are maybe too lazy to learn git as long as they are comfortable with svn. Why not if we can keep both. ;)

Kabyl:
I agree, working with branches is a pain, bzr seems to focus more on this and on merging, and I do like Trac's interface and features.

Mozodojo:

--- Quote from: Kabyl on September 27, 2010, 08:22:24 PM ---I agree, working with branches is a pain, bzr seems to focus more on this and on merging, and I do like Trac's interface and features.

--- End quote ---

You made changes into smbios, more clear code etc. I like to see it in trunc. I want to add some improvements. So on with valv, azimutz brunches. How could it be possible? If we do have another "develop" branch and we do cimmit new feateres on it to testing and feature integration into main trunc, it would be great.  If so any dev could add fixes to other dev's work etc. For now it so unclear - I'll add changes into your brunch? But, it's your private branch...

Question: who will add all these useful changes into trunc? It could become buggy and unstable. Need testing. We have only one main brunch. We have so many commiting devs (into their brunches). Completely unclear how to work in this situation...

I want we're all work together.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version