overdue-scratch

Author Topic: moving to GIT?  (Read 19819 times)

Mozodojo

• VoodooLabs
Re: moving to GIT?
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2010, 06:15:49 AM »
As I know, It's possible to work with SVN via GIT, something like this. But I completely noob related to setting up internet services.

Kabyl

• VoodooLabs
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2010, 09:32:58 AM »
Hi guys,

Thanks for the humble reports! ;) I agree that there are more sophisticated tools are available, but I still believe that discussing and organizing is the most important task. There are many examples in this forum where a new idea or bugfix is incorporated into the trunk within a fairly acceptable timeframe.

We already have a dedicated trac fronted for the public chameleon repo (use the same user and extra pass): http://forge.voodooprojects.org/trac/chameleon/

We can also extend this default trac setup, but in this case I would need valv's help :) We can even configure git here on this server. Let me check how painful it would be...

If it's possible to have git and bzr (maybe hg too), try them all, and see what's best? I know, it's probably asking you too much :P

valv

• VoodooLabs
    • The AnVAL Forum (fr)
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2010, 11:24:03 AM »
we can rely on bzr's implementation to get all 3 (hg, git and svn) in one place.

Mozodojo

• VoodooLabs
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2010, 09:22:03 PM »
I am using git now for HWSensors. It's simple, I am generally using only 3 commands:

cd \path_to_project
git commit -a -m "commit message"
git push

If I've deleted or renamed files, git tracks it automatically. Only if I need to add new unracked files I use "git add -i" and choose files I wish.

Moderator Edit: Discussion about the structure of the DevTalk category has its own thread here. Let's keep this one for Repo front/back end preferences. Sorry for the temp off-topic guys. 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 04:01:31 PM by rocksteady »

r007

• Observer
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2011, 10:38:28 AM »
*sigh* Sorry for the massive bump. It's been mostly triggered by my current issue -- getting my 5870 to work -- where I find it incredibly hard to keep up with what branch has what features and is based on what other code. This has elevated to a major itch for me right now, so that I feel the need to scratch it in here.

Please allow me to rant madly, after which I shall offer you suggestions. Here goes: *inhale*
FOR CRYING OUT LOUD SWITCH TO A DECENT SOURCE CODE AND ISSUE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM ALREADY!
*pant* Glad I've got that out of the way.

Personally, I've had very good experiences with git, and while the strategy outlined in the first post may be a little strict it's pretty much best practice. :) Of course, I expect bzr or hg to behave nicely as well, but git seems to be all the rage today, so I first got into that. I'm not trying to lull you into thinking git may be the do-all end-all solution to all your problems, but let me tell you about my experience...

I started out in the SVN world. I was happy to set up read/write repositories with Apache and DAV, which gave me TLS transport and authentication pretty much for free. Git... was different. To work really well, git needs SSH access to the central repository (which is still something I like to have, despite git being all about distributed). But after that, there are things like gitosis or gitolite which give you back authorization while only requiring a single shell user on the host box. So there is a little more micro-management involved there.

The command-line is admittedly even more different, but that pretty much only reflects the increased capabilities. Usually, you can start out with a core set of commands (clone, add, commit, rebase, push) that will get the job done, and if you need a certain function, you will most probably find it (point in case: I had edited several files and only wanted to commit part of the changes -- turns out you can do that, "gut add -p" will allow you to select only the hunks you want to commit). You need to, however, stop thinking in terms of revisions, but rather in terms of changesets (patches is pretty much equivalent).

So why would you want to use git? Well:
- Everyone gets the complete history and all branches of the project -- that's your backup strategy covered.
- You can be sure to get out of the repository what you put in -- git revisions are sha1 hashes over the whole tree. If you checkout a revision, it's pretty much guaranteed to be what you expect BIT-BY-BIT.
- Merging is easy, because as I said git thinks in terms of changesets. Unless changesets conflict (which they rarely do), merging functionality from another branch is as easy as specifying the changes you want to have.
- Branching is trivial, it's only an operation on the metadata of the repository. No duplicate files, only the changes are actually stored and evaluated upon checkout.

If you want more info or help, I'd be glad to join in on the effort.

tl;dr -- use git, it's awesome :)

Kabyl

• VoodooLabs
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2011, 11:20:38 AM »
Hey r007,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

As much as I want some of this happening, I don't have enough access to do it. If you read the posts above, we've asked zef and we're waiting, he's a very busy person, and he has probably forgotten about this, already.

zef? :)

r007

• Observer
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2011, 12:53:18 AM »
Hey Kabyl,

I figured as much after reading the thread, which is also why I bumped it again. :)
Meanwhile I have at least solved my problem (running your branch now), thanks to a pretty solid checkout of the chameleon repos with git-svn, which gave me at least some overview. It should be pretty straightforward to move to such a git-ized version of the chameleon repository.

zef? :D

€dit: I'm also willing to help with configuring the trac if that's what's needed -- which should also be public but that's another discussion entirely.

PS: it'd be so much easier for random people to contribute, too. They just "git format-patch" and the devs "git am" stuff they like... And that's not even speaking of things like a mob branch.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 12:58:00 AM by r007 »

zef

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2011, 12:22:13 PM »
Guys, I'm so sorry about being away.

Thanks for offering your help, we would need it :)
I have only a few exams left to finish on this week.
How about a next monday (17th) starting?

Bye,
zef
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 | i5-2500k | 16GB RAM | GTX560 | Keyboard | Mouse | Devilsound DAC

valv

• VoodooLabs
    • The AnVAL Forum (fr)
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2011, 08:36:46 PM »
@zef,
take your time ;)
and good luck for the exams

r007

• Observer
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2011, 02:25:25 PM »
I'll be around on #chameleon on irc.voodooprojects.org on Monday then.

Good luck with your exams. :)

Azimutz

• VoodooLabs
  • Paranoid Android
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2011, 09:29:50 AM »
Me, i have to subscribe Zef's words..
I agree that there are more sophisticated tools are available, but I still believe that discussing and organizing is the most important task.

Anyway, Track is most welcome! About git or any other version control system, i need to try; my experience is limited to svn and Chameleon repo, so all i can compare is theory. I would prefer a mixed solution, svn and git.. or hg.
Ultimately, any piece of software is only as good as the use we give to it :)
 System & Patches: http://goo.gl/i961
 Chameleon:
- trunk builds: http://goo.gl/9G1Hq
- pref pane: http://goo.gl/OL2UT

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2011, 07:46:37 PM »
Guys, did you manage to get together on IRC yesterday?
Stop bitching, start coding or documenting or both..

P5Q-EM : Q6600 : 8GB RAM : 8800GT : SATA Drives

valv

• VoodooLabs
    • The AnVAL Forum (fr)
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2011, 09:02:03 PM »
I was; zef ?
well no discussion.

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2011, 09:10:21 PM »
Thanks for confirming valv,

Just wanted to know if I have to catch up with either one or all of you. Looks like we have to re-schedule though.

What about this week guys? Who is available & @what time?
Stop bitching, start coding or documenting or both..

P5Q-EM : Q6600 : 8GB RAM : 8800GT : SATA Drives

valv

• VoodooLabs
    • The AnVAL Forum (fr)
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2011, 01:20:09 AM »
I would be there from 11:00 till 00:00 everyday
till next.