overdue-scratch

Author Topic: moving to GIT?  (Read 19848 times)

Mozodojo

• VoodooLabs
moving to GIT?
« on: September 27, 2010, 08:13:20 AM »
I think GIT is more suitable for our business with many branches and devs. I want to see latest Kabyl and Merklort changes, but how? With SVN it's not so simple to move changes from one branch to another or trunc. I found good article about GIT brunching: http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/. Where is more terminal work but I think it's worth it.

Moderator Edit: Discussion about the structure of the DevTalk category has its own thread here. Let's keep this one for Repo front/back end preferences. Sorry for the temp off-topic guys. 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 04:00:22 PM by rocksteady »

Mozodojo

• VoodooLabs
Re: moving to GIT?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 12:56:12 PM »
I can't to describe clearly, but I think existed chameleon development system is not so effective like it could be. It's like we are not working together but forking trunc and playing with new features. Some good features is going to trunc after, and some very good features are frozen in dev's branches. For example, if I want to integrate latest Kabyl changes into trunc and finish them? it would be not so simple if Kabyl have changed file names or added new files. All the work I need to do manually on my hard drive with previously downloaded trunc sources and kabyl sources with help of diff/merge software. I can't to merge changes historically, commit by commit (and only Kabyl's comits), cos SVN lacks a features.

So, what do you think?

valv

• VoodooLabs
    • The AnVAL Forum (fr)
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 02:05:10 PM »
hi mozodojo,

If it has to be done, than better to go with both. Bazaar+SSH+Trac could do the trick. I assume it is unusual, but if needed, I could give a hand.
Why ?
because most of us are maybe too lazy to learn git as long as they are comfortable with svn. Why not if we can keep both. ;)

Kabyl

• VoodooLabs
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 08:22:24 PM »
I agree, working with branches is a pain, bzr seems to focus more on this and on merging, and I do like Trac's interface and features.

Mozodojo

• VoodooLabs
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 09:58:04 AM »
I agree, working with branches is a pain, bzr seems to focus more on this and on merging, and I do like Trac's interface and features.

You made changes into smbios, more clear code etc. I like to see it in trunc. I want to add some improvements. So on with valv, azimutz brunches. How could it be possible? If we do have another "develop" branch and we do cimmit new feateres on it to testing and feature integration into main trunc, it would be great.  If so any dev could add fixes to other dev's work etc. For now it so unclear - I'll add changes into your brunch? But, it's your private branch...

Question: who will add all these useful changes into trunc? It could become buggy and unstable. Need testing. We have only one main brunch. We have so many commiting devs (into their brunches). Completely unclear how to work in this situation...

I want we're all work together.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 10:00:47 AM by Mozodojo »

Kabyl

• VoodooLabs
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 03:03:39 PM »
You made changes into smbios, more clear code etc. I like to see it in trunc. I want to add some improvements. So on with valv, azimutz brunches. How could it be possible? If we do have another "develop" branch and we do cimmit new feateres on it to testing and feature integration into main trunc, it would be great.  If so any dev could add fixes to other dev's work etc. For now it so unclear - I'll add changes into your brunch? But, it's your private branch...

Question: who will add all these useful changes into trunc? It could become buggy and unstable. Need testing. We have only one main brunch. We have so many commiting devs (into their brunches). Completely unclear how to work in this situation...

I want we're all work together.

I understand the issue, and you suggested we should move to git, valv recommends bzr... I'm with whichever works best.

Or, are suggesting that we should have only one repo (trunk) and we should all just commit to it?

Mozodojo

• VoodooLabs
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 05:44:01 PM »
Iam suggesting to create (if it's possible) a folder named [dev] maybe where developers would have possibility to create subfolders for new good features thats will be integrated into trunc next. So we're all could work on the specific feature together. After integration into trunc, subfolder could be deleted. Is it possible with SVN? Is it good idea?

For now developer's branches is like a different linux distros. Some times good new features is going into trunc, some times not. With "featured" branches we're all could decide if the feature is good and going into trunc. if not, we could move this specific branch into [frozen] folder or something like this. Or we could decide from the begining what the new features we want to develop and add into trunc next. So we creating special branches for these features and working on it.

Kabyl

• VoodooLabs
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 10:12:44 AM »
Most of the time, you can't add "new" features without touching the main code, this would be different with modules, though.

Branches are there for a reason, one would have more control over "his" branch, and he could focus on what he's trying to do, more people working on the same branch is distracting for them and they would need to keep up with each other's changes.

So the issue, as I see it, is just in merging from a branch to another, and from several branches to trunk.

Mozodojo

• VoodooLabs
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 05:04:35 PM »
Yes, you're right, manual merging is a problem. How do you do this? Especialy if you need to merge trunc and couple of private branches and not all of their changes :)

Kabyl

• VoodooLabs
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 05:35:36 PM »
I thought that's why you're suggesting "moving the GIT"?

Mozodojo

• VoodooLabs
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 06:09:59 PM »
I don't think it will happen. I can't clearly desribe the problem. I don't know what to suggest to.

valv

• VoodooLabs
    • The AnVAL Forum (fr)
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2010, 12:33:10 AM »
In my humble point of view, the forum is a little messed up too: we need a place to share our thoughts.
Maybe  by moving those interesting topics to one section close to "patches" and "repo", just to be seen by other devs, would help us make best decisions (all together). Suggestions are welcome, but sometimes devs need one private place for new and concrete ideas, without interference of any kind (not even valv talking about sub-forums  ???). Then we could introduce an internal voting system (if needed) to decide about the road to take for the upcoming releases.

@mozodojo, I personally appreciate your attempt to help improve things. so please don't give up.

Greetz,

Mozodojo

• VoodooLabs
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2010, 07:21:47 PM »
What all you think if one of admins will create chameleon project on GitHub? Forking current trank and trying to play with it? Also on GIT anyone could fork the project to make its own branch. GUI tool for start: GitX

I could create branch, but Iam not an admin. Kabyl, could you?  ;D
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 07:25:02 PM by Mozodojo »

zef

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2010, 11:21:28 PM »
Hi guys,

Thanks for the humble reports! ;) I agree that there are more sophisticated tools are available, but I still believe that discussing and organizing is the most important task. There are many examples in this forum where a new idea or bugfix is incorporated into the trunk within a fairly acceptable timeframe.

We already have a dedicated trac fronted for the public chameleon repo (use the same user and extra pass): http://forge.voodooprojects.org/trac/chameleon/

We can also extend this default trac setup, but in this case I would need valv's help :) We can even configure git here on this server. Let me check how painful it would be...
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 | i5-2500k | 16GB RAM | GTX560 | Keyboard | Mouse | Devilsound DAC

valv

• VoodooLabs
    • The AnVAL Forum (fr)
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2010, 03:32:58 AM »
We can also extend this default trac setup, but in this case I would need valv's help :) We can even configure git here on this server. Let me check how painful it would be...
I 'd be glad to join efforts