overdue-scratch

Author Topic: SMcputype (and others) not working with SMBIOSdefaults=n on RC5  (Read 34770 times)

NetBoot

• Observer
Re: SMcputype (and others) not working with SMBIOSdefaults=n on RC5
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2010, 08:57:46 PM »
Salutations!

First post by the way..  :)

ah, If you need to change the cpu type.  How about using it as a data field and not a string.

So it would be, using Properties List Editor

<key>SMcputype</key>
    <data><0101></data>

Raw format, in Text Editor

<key>SMcputype</key>
    <data>AQE=</data>

Net....

NetBoot

• Observer
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2010, 09:33:51 PM »
SMBIOSdefaults=No - Bus Speed: 1,33GHz (SMbusspeed set)
SMBIOSdefaults=Yes - Processor Interconnect Speed: 1.33 GT/s (SMbusspeed set)
SMBIOSdefaults=Yes - Bus Speed: 1,33GHz (SMbusspeed NOT set)

The Bus Speed and Processor Interconnent Speed are correct.

Net....

Please don't quote whole posts, trim your quotes so that you're only quoting what's relevant. Thank you.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 03:29:50 AM by Gringo Vermelho »

konsti

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2010, 09:39:11 PM »
ah, If you need to change the cpu type.  How about using it as a data field and not a string.

So it would be, using Properties List Editor

<key>SMcputype</key>
    <data><0101></data>

<key>SMcputype</key>
    <data>AQE=</data>
You have to be joking... it was so simple all this time? Just needed to insert the right value in the correct encoding? When did this change in the Chameleon main code?!? Thanks for the tip, will try it the soonest possible, together with Azimutz's suggestion for kabyl's compiled binaries...

Also, I was wondering what kind of measurement unit this GT/s is, for the interconnect speed... (giga--what?)
One get a comma [,] in the display of the unit, the other setting [.] a point.

Anyway, new year is close here. Take care, everyone! Happy new year!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 02:51:20 PM by konsti »

NetBoot

• Observer
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2010, 10:03:34 PM »
It was alway this way.  Well, with the versions I've been using anyways.  I've only been doing this for 3 months.

The PIS in never automatic you have to insert this code if you want to use it.

About the comma and period, I'm not sure what you mean.  a snapshot would help.

I'm using an old Dell OptiPlex SX280, so my PIS is only 800 MT/s

Oh, i hope no one messed with the source code.  Since and far as I can tell it not a bug...

Happy New Year

Net....

P.S.  The only thing that I can't figure out and Fix is the Hardware UUID.  I just can't seem to get it to change.

Redundant quoting removed.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 03:31:31 AM by Gringo Vermelho »

Gringo Vermelho

• Forum Moderator
  • The gray monster energy hat
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2011, 03:35:19 AM »
This is the most mysterious part of this thread. And we've talked about some pretty mysterious things already.
NetBoot: I don't understand the way you talk, I don't know if I should ban you or worship you.

<key>SMcputype</key>
    <data><0101></data>

<key>SMcputype</key>
    <data>AQE=</data>

<data><0101></data> say what?

Does that actually work for you?

It's supposed to be (example!) <key>ClavinetD6</key> followed by <string>y</string>.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 03:53:16 AM by Gringo Vermelho »
10.9.5 - ASUS P8Z77-V Pro - i5 3570K - GTX 660 - Chameleon 2.3 svn-r2xxx
How to...
Install Chameleon: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,649
Make your own Chameleon boot CD: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,484.msg2131.html#msg2131

NetBoot

• Observer
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2011, 05:22:38 AM »
Yes Sir, working this way for me.

Net....

/EDIT no need to quote everything when you're replying directly below.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 06:33:55 AM by Gringo Vermelho »

NetBoot

• Observer
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2011, 01:49:25 AM »
I guess it's working for konsti.  No news is good news.

Recap:

I went through some of the source code.  For this to work correctly it needs to be injected in Base 64 encoded data.  This needs to be in data format in the smbios.plist.  In example, Base 64 encoded data AQE= is converted into 0101.

This is a simplified explanation, but I think you get the idea.

Net....

P.S. Sorry about the quoting

konsti

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2011, 10:18:54 AM »
Hello gentlemen, I am sorry for my delayed response, New Year's Eye and Day's family responsibilities kept me away from the computer, in general  ;D

NetBoot mate thanks for your time, your tip was very unexpected but it doesn't work. I did the changes but get "Unknown". Initially, I couldn't find an appropriate Base64 encoder for these values (please post a URL if you have one) so I used a value after searching the net (for my Core2Quad):

Intel Xeon Quad: 1281 - 0x501 - 0x0105 (little endian) - AQU= (Base64)
Intel Core 2 Duo:  769 - 0x301 - 0x0103 (little endian) - AQM= (Base64)
Intel Core Solo:     257 - 0x101 - 0x0101 (little endian) - AQE= (Base64)

resulting to:
<key>SMBIOSdefaults</key>
<string>No</string>
and
<key>SMcputype</key>
<string>AQU=</string>

I guess there's no value injected whatsoever; it wasn't a value type problem, it's the injection itself... Do not forget that at some point, it used to work with a decimal value (still referring to a Snow Leopard system, I am sure that back in the Leopard days it worked, too... I thought that perhaps the SL system required a new type of injection, compared to Leopard).

EDIT: Dear Gringo Vermelho, thanks for the compiled binaries from Kabyl's branch (r693) it works. Amazing. With either Base64 or decimal value. With SMBIOSdefaults disabled, I inject the value 1281 and CPU is properly set as Xeon QuadCore. Thanks!

Dear Azimutz, how can you merge SMBIOS code in your branch? Has Kabyl disclosed his/her changes already?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 10:35:37 AM by konsti »

Azimutz

• VoodooLabs
  • Paranoid Android
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2011, 01:52:00 PM »
Hi guys.. a god year to anyone.

NetBoot... are you sure that passing the values as "data" is working for you?? :o i checked that, when Konsti first talked with me about this and it didn't worked...
That was used on the "kext" DigitalDJ created before he did the booter patch and the values were all in "base64" format (check the link to the InsanelyMac topic, Gringo and i posted). Anyway, what we are discussing here is not the type of the value, but the fact that some values are not passed from smbios.plist, when SMBIOSdefaults=n is used.

Dear Azimutz, how can you merge SMBIOS code in your branch? Has Kabyl disclosed his/her changes already?
Here is a decent translator that handles base64 ;)
About the smbios patcher code, did you missed my last post?? The code is on Kabyl's branch :P
 System & Patches: http://goo.gl/i961
 Chameleon:
- trunk builds: http://goo.gl/9G1Hq
- pref pane: http://goo.gl/OL2UT

NetBoot

• Observer
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2011, 02:26:11 AM »
Yes, it's working for me.

I tried kabyl branch but it goes into a continuous reboot.  So no luck there. May be the kernel I'm using?

Azimutz, would that kabyl branch be the one with the 450.diff patch?  Don't recall see any smbios patch?

Here's my info:

Dell Optiplex SX280
MacOS 10.6.5
nawcom 10.5.0 Legacy Kernel
Chameleon 2.0 RC5 r698 svn trunk
FakeSMC 2.7.2 - S/L/E
IOATAFamily.kext - Legacy ATA ICH6 - E/E
ElliottAppleIntelGMA950LegacyEnabler.kext - S/L/E

Everthing else is vanilla

I'm working on my daughter's pc right now.  But, I'm going to change it to a string field and then to a data field and take snapshots of the two and post my findings.

After, reading konsti last post.  I think I see what's going on.  When he uses <string>AQU=</string> it's still injecting the correct code AQU=

If I use <data><0105></data>  the raw value is AQU= which that is getting passed and injected.

We still pass the correct data to the injector, I'm just use Properties List Editor to end up with the same results..

Make sense to you?

I do see a warning when chameleon loads, non-string value for SMcputype, but seems to still pass the code.
Plus, it must still be using the smbios.plist value for it or it would return unknown cpu.

Net....

PS - See Attached smbios.plist image
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 03:23:29 AM by NetBoot »

Gringo Vermelho

• Forum Moderator
How to...
Make your own Chameleon boot CD: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,484.msg2131.html#msg2131

NetBoot

• Observer
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2011, 11:28:01 AM »
Thanks, I really wasn't having an issue with SMBIOSDefault.  But, I went ahead and updated with 693.  I'm assuming this is your branch?

Did a quick test and it working either way, string or data.  Just as long as it's the correct value; i.e. AQU=

I also compiled your lastest branch 698 and that's working also as normal.  Plus, no reboot issue..

Also, no issues with GraphicsEnabler on my end.

Question thou, what do I gain by using your branch?

There is one thing I did notice on your latest branch.  In the ioreg logs I see the cpu type as 102.  Have any idea why that is?

I haven't got around to updating it back to 698 trunk to see it there's a difference.  But, just for the hell of it I set the SMcputype to AQI= (did the conversion 0102) and no issues.

Is there a way to get my ethernet working?  It's just isn't getting found in the OS.  Also, I'm not having an issues with my graphics adapter but I do notice the it's not supported by Chameleon.  MacOS log show that the display0 is not usable, but it's working fine? go figure.

Talk to yah later's

Net....

Gringo Vermelho

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2011, 04:45:31 PM »
I am Gringo, Kabyl is Kabyl.

It should not matter much if Chameleon does not know the device ID of your video card, injection with GraphicsEnabler=y will work just the same. System Profiler will display "Unknown nvidia". Assuming of course your video card is nvidia, you didn't say.

Set EthernetBuiltIn=y in your com.apple.Boot.plist. Like GraphicsEnabler, this is not a driver, it's just to make sure that OS X sees your primary network adapter as built-in, which is good for compatibility. You'll still need to install or modify existing drivers to get your hardware working. However, this is off topic for this forum.

If I use <data><0105></data>  the raw value is AQU= which that is getting passed and injected.
We still pass the correct data to the injector, I'm just use Properties List Editor to end up with the same results..
Make sense to you?

No, that does not make sense to me. And you still have too many <>'s. I tried to tell you before that it's <data>xxx</data>, not <data><xxx></data>.
What do you mean "passing to the injector", and what do you mean "using Property List Editor to end up with the same result"?
As you have been told already, the correct way to override the way Chameleon handles this is to set the CPU type via smbios.plist like this:
<key>SMcputype</key>
<string>513</string> (or whatever value you wish to set. As Azi said, base64 will not work)
If you're doing this in any other way it will not work and Chameleon will set the CPU type it thinks is the most appropriate.

The CPU type setting code comes from DigitalDJ originally:
http://digitaldj.net/2009/10/06/cpu-detection-integrated-with-chameleon-rc3/
As you can see even the author tells you to use 1281, 257 etc and not base64 values.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 04:04:13 AM by Gringo Vermelho »
How to...

NetBoot

• Observer
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2011, 02:37:31 AM »
Sorry Gringo,

I haven't been on this forum very long. So, I don't know everybody here.

About the video.  Yeah, not that it matters, but I just installed the GMA900 kext for it and it's fine.

About the ethernet.  I thought that EthernetBuiltIn setting wasn't needed to be used any longer with the latest chameleon build, but I put it in anyway.  I just need a working BCM5751 kext.   The many I found are crap.  Trying to find a good source code and build it myself.

"passing to the injector"  If that's the wrong terminology for it please correct me on that.

"using Property List Editor to end up with the same result"?   I use the MacOS's Property List Editor to modify the smbios.plist   All I'm saying is that I'm using it to modify the plist instead of editing it directly.

As you have been told already

Yes, I know that, I just posting my finding.

I made the recommended changes to the smbios.plist (SMcputype 257) and I'm using Kabyl 693.

This is what I get see attached image.

So, it must be something else.  What? I'm not sure right now

Net...

P.S.  If you want me to stop posting about this subject then fine, I'm done...

Not sure why the images are not working,, Maybe wrong format

Question?  Would having a HyperThreading CPU have any effect on how Chameleon detects cpu type?  Even thou I have HyperThreading turned off in the PC BIOS  Maybe it's still being pick up as a dual processor.  I Know Chameleon see is as two when I do verbose startup.

Edit: images
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 02:48:31 AM by NetBoot »

Gringo Vermelho

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2011, 02:57:06 AM »
No, I don't want you to stop, I just want to make sure we are speaking the same language.

I don't know why somebody would tell you that EthernetBuiltIn=y wasn't needed with the latest Chameleon, it's needed in the same way that it always was.

If you're using Apple Dev Tools Property list editor, great. I wasn't sure what you meant, I didn't realize you were only talking about editing smbios.plist itself. As I said earlier I'm having a hard time following your style of writing.

I did not download your attached images. You should upload .png or .jpg files instead, as they will be viewable directly here in the forum.
Use command+shift+4 to select an area to screengrab, then click the mouse, or use the space bar to select the active window and then click to screengrab it. Screengrabs are saved as .jpg files on your desktop.

/EDIT thanks, that's better.

I have a Pentium 4 Hackintosh and Chameleon auto-sets the CPU to Core Solo like it's supposed to. I'm not using SMcputype in smbios.plist.
Hyperthreading is enabled and it seems to be working. It's running 10.5.8, Qoopz Voodoo 9.8.0 kernel and a fairly recent, unmodified trunk build of Chameleon 2.0 RC5. But I'm using a MacPro2,1 model identifier.

You should not need the SMmaximalclock, SMmemtype and SMmemspeed settings when using Chameleon 2.0 RC5.
Apart from that, your smbiosdate does not match your boot ROM version and the boot ROM version is not correct for a MacMini2,1. Check your sources. The best way to find reliable DMI information is to look at DMI dumps from real Macs. You can find those by googling for example "MacPro2,1 DMI" and then follow the hits that lead to Linux bug report sites.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 03:33:09 AM by Gringo Vermelho »
How to...