overdue-scratch

Author Topic: Stuck installing! com.apple.boot.plist missing  (Read 3163 times)

jerrymenm

• Entrant
Stuck installing! com.apple.boot.plist missing
« on: December 09, 2010, 10:30:37 AM »
Well hi guys I'm new here and I've been trying to solve this problem with my Hackintosh installation on my own, and even searching(I already used the search function and got no luck).
My PC specs are irrelevant right now cause I haven't even plugged in the hard drive to the PC, though it is for an AMD PC
 and I'm using a GUID partition.

So well, the problem is I'm stuck with Chameleon RC2 patched with RC3 boot file cause after installing it; there is no actual com.apple.boot.plist file in my /Extra folder so I can't edit it and can't move forward, it's the last step and I have no clue on what to do, thought on downloading one? Help please

Thanks a lot
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 10:33:11 AM by jerrymenm »

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
Re: Stuck installing! com.apple.boot.plist missing
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 10:56:53 AM »
Hi jerrymenm

When you install Chameleon you have to create a folder named Extra at the root of the partition you have chosen to use. In that /Extra folder you then create or add, depending on if you've used one before, a com.apple.Boot.plist. If you haven't got one then you can start by taking the one from
http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,384.msg1497.html#msg1497
and then adding to it as you need for your system.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 10:59:40 AM by Blackosx »
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

jerrymenm

• Entrant
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 11:30:47 AM »
Thanks a lot! I used that one and tried booting finally on my AMD PC but it won't load, it just stays "loading" and after a few minutes a "denied" sign shows up right above the Mac apple!

Any help?

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 11:56:49 AM »
The 'denied' sign you see happens because the system can't find a kernel to load or maybe as you're using AMD you'll need to use a patched kernel as the standard Apple kernel won't work. I suggest you search out a guide for installing to a machine using an AMD processor on one of the other forums like InsanelyMac. 

Chameleon has done it's job here, although you'll probably have to add more booter options to the com.apple.boot.plist rather than just using the one I linked to earlier. You should learn more about this hopefully from a dedicated guide to installing OS X and running on AMD system.
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

jerrymenm

• Entrant
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 12:11:14 PM »
Ahh I thought the guide I had read was an AMD guide, its taranfx.com's AMD PC/Laptop guideā€¦Gonna check the ones at Insanelymac, guess I might have to do it all over again

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 12:31:48 PM »
Okay I now understand more from where you're coming from. I've just looked at this taranfx guide you mention and I see step 11 shows all you need to know.. in that you edit the com.apple.Boot.plist (which you should have got from your current OS X installation explained at the 'Before we Begin' part of the guide)  and replace the name mach_kernel with the name of the pacthed kernel you add at the end of step 11.

If you are going to follow a guide then at least do every step as explained in it. And also as it reads at the bottom of the guide, it you need assistance then please contact taranfx - and he sure ain't here!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 12:59:11 PM by Blackosx »

jerrymenm

• Entrant
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 10:14:59 PM »
Well first of all I'm sorry, I just thought I could get help here cause I didn't know this wasn't a Chameleon problem so I'm really sorry about that. And well, abut the match_kernel thing, I actually did correctly work around step 11.

Well thanks a lot for your help too =)

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 10:23:31 PM »
No problem.
I was just trying to point you in the right direction the best way I could without making it a long drawn out process.

And well, abut the match_kernel thing, I actually did correctly work around step 11.
So out of interest, have you got it working?