Author Topic: Chameleon Crashes Before Loading Kernel  (Read 2147 times)

hillbeast

• Entrant
Chameleon Crashes Before Loading Kernel
« on: November 30, 2010, 07:43:12 AM »
I have been trying to wrap my head around this for three days and it's really irking me now.

So basically I am trying to get Snow Leopard on my PowerMac G4 case mod that I built (it's only fitting to have OSX on a Mac), but I don't have any dual layer discs (SL is too big for a single layer) so I installed Kalyway, copied SL to a blank partition on my external hard drive, and put myHack on there. It didn't want to boot (wouldn't even load Chameleon) so I tried nawcom BootCD and put that on a DVD-RW, and it installed perfectly except the GPU, sound, and network wasn't going. Aparently those fixes require a later version of SL, so I put 10.6.5 update on it, installed myHack while I was at it and rebooted. Chameleon came up alright, I told it to boot SL and I got a black screen after it had loaded all the extensions and before it booted the kernel (when it shows the Apple logo).

I rebooted and tried again, I tried doing GraphicsEnabler=No, I tried removing graphics kexts, I tried -v -arch=i386 cpus=1 maxmem=4096... none of them worked. So I tried using the nawcom Boot disc and it worked perfectly. It boots fine with the boot disc, but not from Chameleon. I tried putting the Extra/Extensions from the boot disc on the hard drive and all the stuff it came it, and it did the same thing: crashed before booting the kernel.

I have tried EVERYTHING I can think of. What am I doing wrong? Why does it keep crashing on me?

The hardware:
- Intel Celeron 420 @ 2.66GHz
- Gigabyte 965P-S3
- Gigabyte GTX285 <- why a big GPU with a small CPU? Because the proper GPU for it hasn't arrived yet and it's my PhysX card from my main computer as spare.
- 2GB DDR2-667 RAM

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Gringo Vermelho

• Forum Moderator
  • The gray monster energy hat
Re: Chameleon Crashes Before Loading Kernel
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 02:24:14 PM »
You can't boot with the Apple "Vanilla" kernel on a Celeron 420 CPU.

If there's a kernel named "custom" or "legacy" on your boot CD, copy it to the root of your OS X hard drive. Then change the com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra so that it loads that kernel instead of mach_kernel.

To see useful information about what Chameleon is doing before booting OS X, add wait=y to /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist.
10.9.5 - ASUS P8Z77-V Pro - i5 3570K - GTX 660 - Chameleon 2.3 svn-r2xxx
How to...
Install Chameleon: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,649
Make your own Chameleon boot CD: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,484.msg2131.html#msg2131