Author Topic: Preview - Blackosx_BookShelf_Theme - And Help Request  (Read 13967 times)

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
Preview - Blackosx_BookShelf_Theme - And Help Request
« on: December 08, 2010, 06:10:33 PM »
After some time out from theming Chameleon, PolishOX presented me with an idea for a new theme and helped me back in to my art directors chair..  :lol:

Well that was last month and since then I have got as far as creating a background and most of the device icons though there is still some work left to do which brings me to my post here. I would like to ask for opinions and ideas for a device selection graphic as the original idea was to use a hand/arm but it's proving harder then I thought to get it right.

You can see in the screenshot below what I currently have but it's large and too big for the GUI in to draw efficiently without seeing it being drawn and it also suffers from the transparency issue which occurs on the main device selection screen in Chameleon's GUI where transparent pixels aren't blended correctly and the effect is lost. Enzo and I talked about it and I tried to look into why it happened but unfortunately I don't possess the necessary coding skills to try to fix the problem. See more about that at http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,1432.msg7963.html#msg7963

Here's an 800 pixel wide preview image, or click HERE for a 1920x1200 pixel preview.
Note, the screenshot might look dark but it's been darkened to compensate for the lack to screen calibration seen at boot time.

So back to the request here for ideas..   Can anybody suggest a better device selection graphic which is smaller and works better? When I say smaller, I mean doesn't have to be drawn all the way to the bottom of the screen.. (Maybe I could move the shelf with the devices for selection at the bottom of the screen?)   I know I could use a selection glow or outer ring around each device to highlight it, or maybe even start with black and white devices and make then colour when selected, but for now I'm sticking with trying to find some sort of hand image.

Also with what's on the shelves in the background, any ideas if anything needs changing, wrong product order? or is there something missing which I could add? And also can somebody confirm the scale of the Windows XP box with that of Window Vista/7? I'm happy with the scale of the Mac OS boxes as I have all the original products with me here.

I want to try and get this theme finished before Christmas so if anyone has any input then please come forward in the next week and I'll try to get a completed theme posted.

I look forward to hearing any input.

Regards
blackosx
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 06:25:27 PM by Blackosx »
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

PolishOX

• Observer
Re: Preview - Blackosx_BookShelf_Theme - And Help Request
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 09:12:43 PM »
First of all, this theme is coming out even better than what was in my head.  Wait until you hear about my next theme concept!

Regarding the input you requested, working backwards:

1) The XP retail box is indeed HUGE compared the newer more sleek plastic boxes you used ACCURATELY for Vista/7.
Nothing to change there. *NOTHING TO CHANGE HERE*

2) Product order is GREAT and for reference could be seen here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_NT *NOTHING TO CHANGE HERE*

3) The back shelves might benefit from a slightly lighter background if possible or a higher shadow to reveal the bottom of each product box just a little more. *MINOR CHANGE HERE*

4) As pointed out by nawcom, perhaps for the penguin on the LINUX box we should use the official mascot:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tux.svg *MINOR CHANGE HERE*

5) Regarding the hand suffering from transparency issues, perhaps I could ask meklort to look into this?

6) If a hand/arm cannot be used the halo effect would be a great "if all else fails" idea.
But perhaps we could use a hand/arm holding a flashlight and combine the 2 ideas?
Kinda like the theme has a thief sneaking around the OSC (Operating System Center) with a flashlight.
The light beam could possibly be drawn to create the halo effect?  Maybe transparency issues would creep back up?

I'll see about getting meklort involved to at least offer a possible concept as to the transparency issue.

PolishOX

• Observer
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 11:50:56 PM »
From meklort's brain to irc to voodoo forums:

<meklort> but it doesnt say how it renders it currently
<meklort> and the *best* option would be some sort of test case
<meklort> say, upload two diff themes or a picture of how it should look and how it does look
<meklort> but ya, I'll say that a better description of the problem is needed, or a way for someone to easily reproduce it

So if you could be more specific about the transparency issues and provide a zip file complete with 2 examples he's down to look into it.

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 09:26:01 AM »
Hi PolishOX - Glad you're liking it and if this one turns out okay then maybe you can bring your next concept to the table  :P

Thanks for the feedback , it gives me something to work with.. In response to your points:
1&2) great.
3) No problem, I can tweak that.
4) Official TUX it is.
5) Great.. Thanks for asking meklort to look at it.
6) A halo is the easiest option which I can always fall back to, but the thief/flashlight idea could work.. it's just depending on how I can get the hand/torch looking.. and of course the transparency issue which leads me on to my next post.

From meklort's brain to irc to voodoo forums:

<meklort> but it doesnt say how it renders it currently
<meklort> and the *best* option would be some sort of test case
<meklort> say, upload two diff themes or a picture of how it should look and how it does look
<meklort> but ya, I'll say that a better description of the problem is needed, or a way for someone to easily reproduce it

Hi meklort - thanks for offering to at least look at this issue.

To give an overview of the problem it's when the device .png's are rendered on the timeout screen, they are drawn correctly and appear as they look in photoshop. However, when the same image is drawn on the device selection screen it's 'blended' differently which results in the transparent pixels effectively disappearing.  This happens for all graphics including the fonts..

To show this in pictures, hopefully these help:

Enzo War theme (1680x1050) with a link to download the theme
http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,1432.msg7883.html#msg7883
(Note to Enzo: This is the first time I've downloaded this theme and good work mate - I like it :) )

Blackosx_Switch theme (1680x1050)
http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,1432.msg7888.html#msg7888
(download link is here)

I know it's not much to go on but I also looked in to it a bit deeper a while back to at least try an find out why..
http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,1432.msg7963.html#msg7963

I have also put together and attached a test for this current theme with the bookcase background, albeit only a small resolution version so it should fit on a variety of screen sizes, to help show the problem. In this case, the device selection graphic arm/hand has a dark edge / shadow around it on the Timeout screen, but on the device selection screen you will notice that it has a light edge??

The next image shows, on the left, the preview of how it should look in photoshop and on the right shows it rendered in Chameleon's device selection screen in the GUI (excuse the crude photo).

So if you could be more specific about the transparency issues and provide a zip file complete with 2 examples he's down to look into it.
I haven't done exactly what you've asked for here in providing 2 examples in a zip file. But I will when I get more time, but in the mean time I hope the above links to examples and themes along with the attached theme below is something to go on, and I'm more than happy to post more details if needed.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 10:40:52 AM by Blackosx »
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

Enzo

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 10:41:02 PM »
Ok I'll try to go in order here... =p

1. Shelves! I had a similar idea recently with shelves too heh, just another idea I hope I can get around to =P. Currently have 3 themes that are *almost* done, I'm really just in a nitpicking phase where I keep tweaking the smallest things haha. I had also forgotten about the War theme, I left that one half done a while ago =/.

2. About this theme, how about bookends for the device_scroll =P

3. The transparency issue! ah, Really is bothersome, just feels like a big setback when you get things looking just as you want, and the Cham options screen then says, No I will not render anything with transparency properly! I honestly feel I'd get more themes out if I didn't have to create->adjust->re-tool->test->adjust bah

4. A different device_selection for this theme? hmmm

5. Hope meklort gets on this with success, I think the issue is well summarized here.

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 02:46:09 PM »
I have revised the background, amended the Linux device to use the original tux logo and worked more trying to finalise more of the devices. For now, I am going to go ahead with using a halo effect for the device selector just because it's easier and quicker to do. This then will at least help me get try to get a complete theme posted, then after maybe I can look at a more advanced device selector like the hand/torch idea.

Here's an update to how the theme is looking showing the second snow device highlighted.

Ok I'll try to go in order here... =p

1. Shelves! I had a similar idea recently with shelves too heh, just another idea I hope I can get around to =P. Currently have 3 themes that are *almost* done, I'm really just in a nitpicking phase where I keep tweaking the smallest things haha. I had also forgotten about the War theme, I left that one half done a while ago =/.

2. About this theme, how about bookends for the device_scroll =P

3. The transparency issue! ah, Really is bothersome, just feels like a big setback when you get things looking just as you want, and the Cham options screen then says, No I will not render anything with transparency properly! I honestly feel I'd get more themes out if I didn't have to create->adjust->re-tool->test->adjust bah

4. A different device_selection for this theme? hmmm

5. Hope meklort gets on this with success, I think the issue is well summarized here.
Hi Enzo :)

1) You can still go ahead with your shelves idea and I am looking forward to seeing your next three themes - the more the merrier..   For this theme here, I have created the device icons large, for example, the Windows XP box is 925px high. So I could happily (and might do) create a secondary bookshelf theme using the larger icons which could maybe only fit two, possibly three, on the screen at once. I guess after spending time re-creating the devices, I I might as well get some life out of them..

If you're happy with your War theme then you could always post it here in the main Theme section of the forum? and I suppose the same can be said for my blackosx_switch theme. I didn't post it here originally as RC5 hasn't officially released and there are many users still on pre RC5 versions which means the device selection graphic would still need to be visible in RC5 themes for those users to see what they're selecting.

2) Bookends as device scroll - Thanks for the idea - I will add that in :)

3) Thanks for giving your vote on the transparency issue too. Maybe we should mention the positional issue too between the timeout screen and the device selection screen? I can't remember too much about it but I think the centred device icon on the timeout screen was positioned a couple of pixels differently to the centred device icon on the device selection screen? I'm sure I will get round to identifying the problem exactly but can you confirm this still exists?

4) I'll go with the good 'ol halo for now.

5) Yeah, let's hope.. But I know meklort has been / is very busy with his modularising of Chameleon (great work there BTW meklort), so whether or not he has the time and inclination to attempt a fix here is a different matter.. I mean from my understanding, it doesn't look like an easy fix - instead maybe a re-write of the GUI so the timeout screen or the device selection screen are both drawn the same way.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 02:47:51 PM by Blackosx »

Enzo

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 07:58:28 PM »
=)

The positional issue still exists. I almost thought it got better with RC5 builds, but can't say for sure. IIRC, the device is a little more centered on the first screen than it is on the second...

Almost forgot,
In regards to having to adjust for the lack of color profile during boot: I realized that the biggest difference between a calibrated display vs one that wasn't, was the difference in gamma. This has made adjusting a whole lot easier for me. I now simply use Photoshop's Image->Adjustments->Exposure and apply a Gamma Correction. For me (my monitors), I've noticed ~.8 works well. This is something you do have to apply to every single image, but hardly a drawback, as it does make correction almost a non-issue. ;-) You can also take this into account when picking out font colors or boot background color if you want to be super precise, just by applying the gamma correction to the PS image and then measuring color afterwards with the eyedrop tool. I still feel like I have to create everything twice, for the theme files, and for previews, but at least now it is precise and consistent!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 09:52:48 PM by Enzo »

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 09:21:09 AM »
Thanks for your comments Enzo and for your tip with Photoshop's exposure. I've done a quick experiment with the settings and so far I've made changes to the Exposure (0.3) and Gamma (1.2) settings for a close match to my monitor though I think with more time I can probably fine tune it further.

And the theme is one nearing completion, though with using highlighted device icons and not the hand/arm/torch device selector (Sorry PolishOX). It's looking decent with all device icons now created and sitting nicely on the shelf. I've just to sort the fonts, menu, and device scroll books now :)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 09:28:05 AM by Blackosx »

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 04:50:15 PM »
I'm another step closer with this theme and I now have final backgrounds for 16:10, 16:9 and 4:3 screen ratios, and device icons at 800px high to cover using them at any resolution. Unfortunately still not ready for a release but getting there  :P

Here's a latest screenshot with the Windows XP box highlighted  (Click HERE for a 1920x1200 version)

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 11:38:20 AM »
Wow.. this is turning in to a theme pack as I am going to include a couple of different backgrounds, each at three screen ratios, with two device sets for two different screen ratios. But PolishOX will be happy as I have now worked it with using the arm for a device selector.

I'm still not 100% sure on the fonts yet, but I'm nearly there.

Here's an actual photo of my screen at boot :)  (Click HERE for a high-res image)

Krishna21

• Observer
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 06:07:10 AM »
I love how you are following the retail boxes idea :)

What I think is you should show a shelve, and instead of having the OS boxes displayed front-face you could have them standing side by side, like on a library book shelf.

And the selector would be each one having a light layer on it!

Also, I am okay with your style though, front-face style boxes on the shelves.
What CLEARLY stops me from installing it is the selector, I really don't like the big hand!!

I think the selector should just be a brighter version of the box :)

your on the right track!

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 08:11:55 AM »
Hi Krishna21

The theme pack I have been creating here has a choice of devices with and without the hand, and also against a background with either three or a single shelf. In both cases, the boxes are highlighted with a surrounding halo and a lighter layer. You can see an example of the theme without the hand three posts above. The theme has currently gone to beta testing.

As for showing the retail boxes side on, I like the idea but that would mean almost an entirely new theme as I would need to find images of the box sides for all the Windows boxes, I have the original Mac boxes, then re-create each artwork to use as device graphics. This would take a fair bit of time which I don't have right now, so I'll add this to my ever growing to-do list and see what happens in the future..

Regards
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 08:13:27 AM by Blackosx »

Enzo

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 10:49:06 PM »
Nice job =). Sort of expanding on the hand idea, I suppose you could instead make it into a glove =P. Could be more appealing to some. A simple floating glove, maybe a little cartoon-ish =P.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 03:25:58 AM by Enzo »

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 06:09:31 PM »
The theme has currently gone to beta testing.
This theme never came out of beta testing but I think it would be shame to waste the hours I put in to creating all the device icons, so I am going to put together a usable theme using them. I'm thinking of doing something simple, like on a plain background with floating icons (similar to Chameleon's default theme).

I have added a few more device icons to the set since and below is a small mockup of all the icons together. I've created the icons at a large size so they should happily fit anybody's screen res. For example, the HFSplus icon is 550x750px..  And in there is also a mockup for the 10.7 box.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 06:14:45 PM by Blackosx »

textonyx

• Observer
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 04:33:03 PM »
I was thinking of a metal bookmark, somewhat transparent, the kind that fits over a page like a paperclip, instead of a hand.
Once I had one with a unicorn etched on it. Did you know that Coherent was the first dual-boot with Dos + unix-like system?
It came out around 1982 (Tron) before Macs. It came with a terrific manual with a striking nautilus spiral on the cover. Like~

« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 04:40:27 PM by textonyx »