overdue-scratch

Author Topic: Kernel panic  (Read 13585 times)

X

• Entrant
Kernel panic
« on: April 16, 2009, 02:52:43 PM »
This is on a Hackintosh machine using an IP35-Pro motherboard, Q9550, 8 GB RAM.  USB keyboard works fine but I would like to use PS/2 because I can't get into my BIOS with a USB keyboard.

When the VoodooPS2Controller loads I'm getting a kernel panic.  I'm not sure what the whole log looks like because the panic occurs before logging to disk starts but of what I can see on screen (see attached picture for the whole thing):
Code: [Select]
using 16384 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers
IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87
PS2Controller: Created dev /ps2controller
Using new IRQ layout 0,1
ACPI: System State [S0 S3 S4 S5] (S3)
Panic(CPU 3): Unresponsive processor
<...stack trace addresses...>
      Backtrace continues
   Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):
      org.voodoo.driver.PS2Controller(1.1)@0x79383000->0x79388fff

This machine works fine without the PS2Controller.

Maybe something bad happening with whatever ACPI stuff the PS2Controller is doing?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 03:02:16 PM by X »

mackerintel

• VoodooLabs
Re: Kernel panic
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 11:37:19 PM »
Already discussed here.Remove any non-Voodoo PS2-related kexts (especially AppleACPINub)

X

• Entrant
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 09:55:22 PM »
Yeah, I saw that.  I'm not aware of any PS/2 kexts I'm using.

I'm running a clean retail based install and the only kexts I'm using are VoodooPS2Controller, JMicronATA, NVkush, dsmos, and AppleACPIPlatform for my board (not sure where that is from, it was in the "v4.4" package for IP35 boards).  I have removed AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement and AppleUpstreamUserClient kexts and I'm not using any disabler "nub"'s.

Maybe it's the IP35 AppleACPIPlatform?

lebidou

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 10:02:08 PM »
Inside AppleACPIPlatform.kext, there is a PlugIns folder in which there is ACPIPS2Nub.kext or AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext sometimes

X

• Entrant
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 10:09:08 PM »
Heh, I was just getting ready to edit my post because I forgot to put what was inside my AppleACPIPlatform plugins:
AppleACPIButtons.kext
AppleACPIEC.kext
AppleACPIPCI.kext

None of these look like PS/2 things to me but I guess there could be something.

lebidou

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 10:13:22 PM »
You've said you're with a retail install, so did you check your Extra folder ?

X

• Entrant
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 10:33:53 PM »
My Extra folder is where I have the VoodooPS2Controller, JMicronATA and this AppleACPIPlatform kext.  That's all that is in there.

lebidou

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 10:39:02 PM »
What if you put VoodooPS2Controller in /System/Library/Extensions instead of the extra ?

What if you remove the VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext from VoodooPS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns ? I know you won't have keyboard doing so but does it still panic ?

X

• Entrant
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 11:09:24 PM »
I tried putting it in /S/L/E (removed Extensions.mket so it could be rebuilt) with the same result.

I also removed both the PS2Keyboard and PS2Mouse kext's from VoodooPS2Controller and it still panics at boot.  I tried this configuration both in /Extra and /S/L/E also.

lebidou

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 11:18:03 PM »
other tries :

assuming you've uninstalled VoodooPS2Controller.kext, what do you get when you type:
    kextstat | grep PS2
in a terminal window.

did you try the original ApplePS2Controller.kext in conjonction with AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext before ?

X

• Entrant
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 11:59:01 PM »
Yeah, no other PS2 kext's show up in the kextstat list.  I had also searched the whole machine looking for anything PS2 related.

As for trying the ApplePS2Controller, good idea!  I had tried it long ago but it didn't work.  That was before I knew what NUBs were though and I never went back and tried it with the NUB.  That does in fact work so thanks!  :)

Still doesn't fix this issue with the VoodooPS2Controller but I guess it doesn't matter as much if I can run the other stuff.   Isn't the VoodooPS2Controller just a combination of all that other stuff (ApplePS2Controller + NUB etc)?

lebidou

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 12:04:12 AM »
Isn't the VoodooPS2Controller just a combination of all that other stuff (ApplePS2Controller + NUB etc)?

Basically, i think so. However there are some modifications in the Comtroller part of the code but I don't precisly what was changed.