overdue-scratch

Author Topic: [Help please] Chameleon RC4 won't install  (Read 5514 times)

SparkyNZ

• Entrant
[Help please] Chameleon RC4 won't install
« on: December 22, 2010, 09:03:33 AM »
Hi. I have installed this before on a single boot system but since installing WinXP on my second partition, I cannot get it to work.

When trying to run "sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0", I get the following error:

fdisk: Could not read MBR code: Is a directory

Here is the diskutil list. I am using a modified Chameleon RC4 package that somebody put together to allow use of the X4500 Intel graphics card to give resolutions other than 1024x768. Its worked before and I would really appreciate some help please.

/dev/disk0
    #:   TYPE NAME   SIZE   IDENTIFIER
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *320.1 GB disk0
    1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
    2: Apple_HFS Snow Leopard 100.0 GB disk0s2
    3: Microsoft Basic Data 219.7 GB disk0s3
/dev/disk1
    #:  TYPE NAME  SIZE    IDENTIFIER
    0: CD_partition_scheme  *846.4 MB disk1
    1: Apple_partition_scheme 22.8 MB disk1s1
    2: Apple_partition_map  32.3 KB disk1s1s1
    3: Apple_HFS iBoot  22.8 MB disk1s1s2

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
Re: [Help please] Chameleon RC4 won't install
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 02:35:33 PM »
fdisk: Could not read MBR code: Is a directory
Have you cd'd to the correct directory in Terminal before issuing the command?
So for instance, if you had the Chameleon RC4 binary folder downloaded and unzipped on your desktop, you would type:

cd ~/Desktop/Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684-bin/i386/

then run the fdisk command.
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

SparkyNZ

• Entrant
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 09:05:36 PM »
Hmm. I'm sure the folder I went to was Desktop/Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684-src/i386/. I saw a post the other day where somebody said they were in the source folder but I had expected to find .c files etc. Perhaps the 'fdisk' I saw when I did an 'ls' is actually a folder rather than a program? (Its been a while since I played around with Unix etc).

Thanks for the info - I'll check it out when I get home tonight. I'm a bit confused as to where the src folder came from though - I downloaded the zip file here at work and when unzipped, its definitely a bin folder.

I hope it is something as simple as that. I will let you (all) know. Cheers.

SparkyNZ

• Entrant
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 09:00:37 AM »
Yes that was the problem. Thank you very much. How silly of me. (I still don't know WHY I have the sources on my machine in the first place but who knows..)

Only now I type:

sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/disk0s2

..and I get:

dd: /dev/disk0s2: Resource busy

I had to boot into safe mode because I tried another X4500 patch which failed. Am  I getting this error because I'm now in SafeMode?

SparkyNZ

• Entrant
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 09:13:49 AM »
Aha!! I got it working!! The post below had helped (thanks Tony!!) Awesome!!! Now I just need to find out how to get the trackpad and keyboard working on the laptop. Hmm..

TO ALL:

If you get 'resource busy' in terminal:

9. Type: sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2

Note the 'r' in rdisk0s2

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 11:52:47 AM »
Hi SparkyNZ - Good to hear you have managed to sort your installation problems.

Also, I don't know here you got your original installation instructions from but if ever in dobut, check the Official Docs where you can see the correct commands for installation.
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

SparkyNZ

• Entrant
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 05:30:39 AM »
Hi BlackOSX. I wouldn't go as so far as to say I've sorted out all my installation problems.. I still can't reboot after shutting down within the Chameleon booted session.

For instance:
1) I do the:
sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0
sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/DISK_IDENTIFIER
sudo cp boot /
2) It reboots with Chameleon perfectly.. until...
3) Shutdown or restart..
4) After Apple logo and spin wheel I get blue screen
5) I then bootup with my iBoot CD into safe mode..
6) I do this again:
sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0
sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/DISK_IDENTIFIER
sudo cp boot /
7) It reboots with Chameleon perfectly..
8) I shutdown or restart and I'm back to the blue screen again

So.. what happens after booting with Chameleon that stops it from rebooting next time? This is my biggest frustration at the moment so help would be greatly appreciated.

I didn't follow the offical docs. I followed an iBoot + MuliBeast installation guide on TonyMac86 orginally. Then I found this link http://www.kexts.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=222 for getting my video mode to work in 1280x800 mode. After following that link thats when I searched and discovered the Chameleon forum. I would have gladly followed the official docs if they'd shown up in my search first but the TonyMac86 got me to a good starting point.

If I don't hear from you before Xmas, have a great one BlackOSX. I hope you can be Santa and help me with the above rebooting problem.