Author Topic: Chameleon 2 RC5 rev.564+ restarts when another USB-Chameleon device is plugged  (Read 6831 times)

pepelu

• Entrant
Hi,

I have installed Chameleon RC5 rev.563 on my harddisk and, this same bootloader in an USB external HDD. If I boot from internal HDD (USB HDD plugged out) all is ok but if I boot from external USB HDD boot is ok but no GUI although com.apple.boot.plist says GUI=Yes, pciroot=2 and Theme folder are ALL present. Only a text-choice is shown. This is an aesthetic problem but not a functional problem... but I don't know on how to solve this!! Can anyone tell me how to enable GUI again?

The BIG problem is after ALL revisions after rev.563 on which SYSTEM RESTARTS when my USB HDD is plugged-in. Is this a bug? or Should I put a new switch on chameleon after 563?

I have an Asus P7P55D LE 8Gig core i7-860, nVidia 9600GT, 2 HDD 1TB with latest BIOS updated.

Thanks

Slice

• VoodooLabs
Yes, it is the BUG.

pepelu

• Entrant
Ok. So if it's a bug I think that someone working on it to solve... so I will be patient!!   :-\

zef

• Administrator
Guys,

I'm pretty sure that it must be something partition table/filesystem related issue. I have 2 internal disks (disk0, disk1) and an external USB disk (disk2) for testing purposes:

Code: [Select]
/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk0
   1:                  Apple_HFS Snow Leopard            167.8 GB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Extended                167.8 GB   disk0s2
   3:               Windows_NTFS Storage                 664.7 GB   disk0s3
/dev/disk1
   0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk1
   1:               Windows_NTFS Win7N                   104.9 GB   disk1s1
   2:               Windows_NTFS Work                    104.9 GB   disk1s2
   3:               Windows_NTFS Advanced                790.5 GB   disk1s3
/dev/disk2
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *250.1 GB   disk2
   1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk2s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Installer               10.0 GB    disk2s2
   3:                  Apple_HFS TestPad                 20.0 GB    disk2s3
   4:       Microsoft Basic Data NTFSTransfer            219.6 GB   disk2s4

I can boot fine from disk0 whether disk2 is plugged in or not.
I can help you eliminate this bug but i need more specific information.
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 | i5-2500k | 16GB RAM | GTX560 | Keyboard | Mouse | Devilsound DAC

Marco864

• Entrant
Hi
I have a problem similar to what reported by pepelu:

I use Chameleon RC5 ver 668 with a 500 GB internal hdd (GPT), Mac OS X 10.6.7, Win 7, Ubuntu on it. I have noticed that plugging in an external usb hdd (Samsung 320 Gb, also GPT) makes Chameleon stop after boot0 and cause a system restart IF (and ONLY IF) the usb disk contains more than one partition. The format (hfs+, ntfs, fat) and the size of these partition is not relevant.
Making these partitions bootable has also no effect.

If I unplug the external disk, everything is OK, I can boot snow leopard, connect the external disk and all partitions of the external usb-hdd are visible and perfectly usable.

I have an Asus eee 1000h, 2Gb RAM, Bios Rev 2204.

Thanks

pepelu

• Entrant
I have some news..

If I use Mald0N RC5 Chameleon builds (http://olarila.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=70)  the system restarts when USB-HDD plugged-in, but if I use the same rev build by OnehalfKiller (http://onehalfkiller.com/2011/02/chameleon-bootloader-daily-updates/)  then system doesn't restart but GUI is lost and only the text-based bootmenu appears (although not indicated in plist config file) ... but doesn't restart :)

Any explanation why Mald0n builds restarts and OnehalfKiller doesn't? And the great question: Why Chameleon RC5 loss GUI boot menu under USB attached device? Chameleon RC4 and older RC5 builds don't have this issue.

Azimutz

• VoodooLabs
  • Paranoid Android
Hi Pepelu...
About the GUI missing when booting from external usb:
based on my experience, Chameleon is looking for the Themes folder on another partition other than the one it's installed to and it's not finding it. This can happen with some partitioning schemes, specially when the partition were the booter is installed to, is not marked as "active".
Check that out and report.

We'll see about the "restart" thing later...

p.s.: If you get confused with the Chameleon build posted by someone, check my signature! Both Mald0n's and OnehalfKiller's posts should work the same as mine, since they are compiled from the same sources, despite the revision number differences. Latest Chameleon "trunk" rev is the one mentioned on my sig! Revs 873/875 are indeed commits to the Chameleon repository, but they were not made to the trunk.
And unless you are prepared for troubles, avoid installers!! Install manually via Terminal ;)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 01:24:50 PM by Azimutz »
 System & Patches: http://goo.gl/i961
 Chameleon:
- trunk builds: http://goo.gl/9G1Hq
- pref pane: http://goo.gl/OL2UT