Author Topic: USB & Chameleon  (Read 2940 times)

atkailash

• Entrant
USB & Chameleon
« on: January 22, 2011, 08:37:47 PM »
I've done a few searches on google and various forums trying to find a specific answer but I haven't found anything entirely relevant.

The problem is this: USB will only work on my H55 in Solaris (in fact, it only will boot) when USB Legacy and USB Mass Storage are disabled in BIOS. However, that means GRUB (on Solaris drive) and Chameleon do not respond to the USB keyboard. However, all 3 OSs boot and use USB just fine.

Now, from what I found people with the no-boot loader-USB issue just enabled in BIOS and were fine. But that is not an option for me, so I am at a loss.

I tried building chameleon, but got a ld error (separate issue) hoping a legacy_off thing would work, but that seems to be in the current trunk code, which I tried installing but no change in the problem.

If needed, I can patch/build chameleon on ubuntu or solaris or Mac or anything, so if the solution involves code I'm game. For now, I'm just going to select the boot drive manually from the boot menu of bios but would prefer Chameleon (when I can control it, it boots Solaris fine, but then USB goes away)

Fixing Solaris is not an option, as there seems to be no fix and being proprietary, there's not much to do. (might switch to OpenIndiana or something though)
Gigabyte h55
Intel Core i5 3.2GHz over clocked to 4.0GHz (166x24), stock volt
4GB 1333 ram
3x SATA HDDs:1.5TB HDD, OSX 1TB, 500GB storage; 500GB HDD, windows 7 ultimate, possibly also ubuntu; 500GB HDD, Solaris 11 Express
NVIDIA GeForce 9500-GT 1GB

Slice

• VoodooLabs
Re: USB & Chameleon
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 10:49:40 AM »
Please try my branch. I have no issue with USB keyboard and USB legacy. If you can build/patch Chameleon we can work together to resolve the problem.
I tested with Dell (ICH8M) booting from HDD and from USB stick. And with Samsung notebook (ATI chipset with NEC USB), same from HDD and from USB stick. USB keyboard works at boot time.

atkailash

• Entrant
Re: USB & Chameleon
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 12:18:26 AM »
Unless I did something wrong, I'm getting a white screen and no apparent activity, and a text based loader (no theme). Doesn't seem to want to boot, so trying to figure out how to revert, as my USB stick is being annoying so I'mma have to make a new one from Windows or Solaris.
Gigabyte h55
Intel Core i5 3.2GHz over clocked to 4.0GHz (166x24), stock volt
4GB 1333 ram
3x SATA HDDs:1.5TB HDD, OSX 1TB, 500GB storage; 500GB HDD, windows 7 ultimate, possibly also ubuntu; 500GB HDD, Solaris 11 Express
NVIDIA GeForce 9500-GT 1GB