overdue-scratch

Author Topic: Where is my boot0 installed?  (Read 4905 times)

textonyx

• Observer
Where is my boot0 installed?
« on: April 20, 2011, 06:46:19 AM »
Previously, I wasn't able to have Hide Partition or Default Partion, set in com.apple.Boot.Plist to have any effect. I have two drives, and I wiped the MBR and partitions of the second drive where SL is installed. I reinstalled from scratch. I used Gringo's guide to install Chameleon on the EFI partition. Still, Hide and Default Partition are ineffective. The Chameleon bootloader shows it's 2: RC4 which was installed with the original SL install a few months ago. Gringo provided RC5 and that is not displayed on the Cham splash screen but the older RC4. Where is that coming from? It seems like maybe the MBR of the first drive which has Windows. I executed bootsec.exe /fixmbr which was reported as successful, and that command is supposed to rewrite the MBR of Windows. Still I can't figure where else boot0 could be located but in the first drive MBR? Ironically, I was lucky on the order of reinstalls and I no longer need any <key>s for partitions to display in the right order. So this question is a how does it work kind, and not urgent.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 06:54:21 AM by textonyx »

Gringo Vermelho

• Forum Moderator
  • The gray monster energy hat
Re: Where is my boot0 installed?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 06:22:36 PM »
I think that's boot, not boot0?

Look for boot at the root of your Snow Leopard partition, and delete it. You might need to enable hidden files view to see it.

10.9.5 - ASUS P8Z77-V Pro - i5 3570K - GTX 660 - Chameleon 2.3 svn-r2xxx
How to...
Install Chameleon: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,649
Make your own Chameleon boot CD: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,484.msg2131.html#msg2131

textonyx

• Observer
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 08:40:21 AM »
Thanks for your suggestion. I used the Chameleon RC5 package that you linked to in your howto. I already put boot from that package in /EFI and now made sure it was in SL root, /. The boot display page didn't change, it reads something like: Darwin x86 2009-12-10, RC4 r684. This package was contributed by or ascribed to AsereBLN  I think. I followed the instructions to make sdb1 (200mb EFI) active also, I will check to make sure with gparted. It just seems odd...

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 05:46:22 PM »
Hi textonyx

Just a quick Chameleon overview.
boot0 lives in the MBR of the disk. It looks for the stage 1 booter (boot1)
boot1 lives in the partition boot sector. it looks for the stage 2 booter (boot)
boot lives at the root of your desired boot volume.

Chameleon then uses a folder named Extra for it's configuration settings and files you need to boot OS X on your hardware. This folder also lives at the root of your desired boot volume along with the boot file.

You only want one boot file on your system along with one Extra folder.

I already put boot from that package in /EFI and now made sure it was in SL root, /
You say here that you now have boot at the root of your EFI system partition AND root of your SL partition. This is wrong.

If you're positive that the latest version of Chameleon in your EFI system partition is the one you want to keep then delete all the others. As gringo said above, you might not be able to see other versions of boot as it could be hidden. So to check, boot in to OS X and:

Load up Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app
type cd then drag a HDD icon from the Finder to the Terminal window, then press return.
type ls -al followed by return.

Look for a file named boot in the list that appears. If you find it then that's your secondary boot file that you want to remove. if not, then repeat the steps for all your mounted volumes until you find it.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 05:48:20 PM by Blackosx »
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

textonyx

• Observer
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 03:52:25 AM »
Thanks for your reply. I learned about Chameleon first from your Howto, chapter 3pdf I think. The problem was not an extra boot file. I followed directions until I only had one boot and one /Extra in the EFI partition. No luck. Then I decided to try booting from the second drive where boot0 and SL boot are installed. That worked but not with a GUI, and I saw RC5 r750.

I booted with a new iBoot disk and it was using RC5 r748. But/and this is the graphical display I've been seeing, only with an earlier version, RC4 r684 when I normally boot from my first drive where Windows is installed. I added Snow Leopard to my Easybcd boot menu, and it brings up this very genuine looking Chameleon GUI boot menu. It must be a case of this new Copylift  :) idea I've been hearing about. This likely solves why <key>Hide Partition</key> which was in my original post and is the foundation of this question, wasn't having any effect. Thanks for your help and Gringo's and also for the nice documentation. I can see pros and cons for either a /EFI/Extra or a Snow Leopard /Extra method.
Edit: The GUI theme is working and Default Partition. I have my eye on that Bookshelf theme which is still under new. It strikes me as the epitome of computer literacy! Themes, what a fun looking toy  ;D The boot file was inside a mac*.iso used to boot up.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 12:32:18 AM by textonyx »

Gringo Vermelho

• Forum Moderator
  • The gray monster energy hat
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 12:06:17 AM »
The GUI theme is working and Default Partition.

Fantastic, well done!
10.9.5 - ASUS P8Z77-V Pro - i5 3570K - GTX 660 - Chameleon 2.3 svn-r2xxx
How to...
Install Chameleon: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,649
Make your own Chameleon boot CD: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,484.msg2131.html#msg2131