Author Topic: Bootup Options ... how?  (Read 14056 times)

Voltaire

• Observer
Re: Bootup Options ... how?
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011, 06:09:40 PM »
OK, the HD looked/looks about like that:

1. 40 GB NTFS (windows bootable)
2. 150GB NTFS (pure data - unbootable)
3. 40GB HFS+ journaled (mac bootable)

The MSI WIND has 2x USB on the left and 1x USB on the right side.

I was trying by MSI-BIOS-boot-volume-selector to  boot from USB - but no way - did not work. I can choose USB-HD, but then it hangs. Booting from CD/DVD on USB works fine. Btw: I have tried both: setting up external USB-HD both to GUID and MBR for booting up Mac OS, but neither did work yet.

I first had a preprepared WIND-OSX-Version 10.5.4 first, but had problems for updating to 10.5.8; then I found SnowyWind 10.6.2 - and have some problems with updating to 10.6.7 ... :/

I was using CarbonCopyCloner to copy the MacOS from Partition 3 to the external USB-Drive. I am thinking that it might be that the external USB-HD does not have a "boot-routine" to choose partition - what chameleon does. I'll try installing chameleon on the USB-HD ... and will see if that would work. External HD was formatted with apple-hd-tool.

As booting USB did not work, I changed partition scheme of internal HD:

1. (as was): 40GB NTFS (windows boot)
2. (smaller than before): 125GB NTFS (unbotable data)
3. (new): 25GB HFS+ journaled (added mac bootable)
4. (as was): 40GB HFS+ journaled (mac bootable)

So I have two mac-bootable volumes; last one (4) is kept working with 10.6.2 - and new one (3) updated to 10.6.7 - causing some problems and hanging/stopping whil boot process ...

Default bootup-volume is the second unbootable data partition; I don't care, as rebooting only takes some seconds if I see NTFS-loader not found - press ctrl-alt-del ...

That's the configuration I have here ...

Next step will be installing chameleon onto external USB-drive - let's see if that works ... and whether the HD should be set to GUID or MBR.

Gringo Vermelho

• Forum Moderator
  • The gray monster energy hat
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 08:07:48 PM »
WIND-OSX-Version 10.5.4 first (...) then I found SnowyWind 10.6.2

I highly recommend that you forget about those. Distros are nothing but trouble, especially when you want to update - as you have found out. Because of the way "SnowyWind" (and distros in general) is put together, updating to 10.6.7 breaks it when the patches that keep it running get overwritten with original, unmodified Apple files.

This can be avoided by installing retail OS X, and keeping your patches in the /Extra folder, separated from the OS itself. An Apple update will not touch the /Extra folder or any files in it.

Get a retail Snow Leopard DVD and use an MSI Wind boot CD to boot and install it to an external USB hard drive. Google "MSI Wind boot CD", it looks like there are several available. Once you're done, install Chameleon manually to the hard drive. Google to find retail OS X guides for the Wind to learn how others have set up Chameleon with the necessary patches so that OS X will run on it (it is against the rules to discuss that here).

Retail will install to GUID only, but you might be able to use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the OS X install to an MBR formatted drive later (ie your internal drive). CCC does not clone the boot loader so you will have to install Chameleon again after cloning. This time, in a way that it will work with Windows, so that you can dual boot from your internal drive. See link I posted on the previous page.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 08:17:31 PM by Gringo Vermelho »
10.9.5 - ASUS P8Z77-V Pro - i5 3570K - GTX 660 - Chameleon 2.3 svn-r2xxx
How to...
Install Chameleon: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,649
Make your own Chameleon boot CD: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,484.msg2131.html#msg2131

Voltaire

• Observer
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 10:05:23 AM »
WIND-OSX-Version 10.5.4 first (...) then I found SnowyWind 10.6.2

I highly recommend that you forget about those. Distros are nothing but trouble, especially when you want to update - as you have found out. Because of the way "SnowyWind" (and distros in general) is put together, updating to 10.6.7 breaks it when the patches that keep it running get overwritten with original, unmodified Apple files.
Yes, that's how far I am with putting Mac OS X onto the Wind ... Anyway I prefer not only updatable stuff, but additions rather than replacements of relevant parts ...

This can be avoided by installing retail OS X, and keeping your patches in the /Extra folder, separated from the OS itself. An Apple update will not touch the /Extra folder or any files in it.
That's how the real working solution will look like ...

Get a retail Snow Leopard DVD and use an MSI Wind boot CD to boot and install it to an external USB hard drive.
Darn, I had an well priced offer for an original Apple-Retail-DVD some weeks ago ...

Google "MSI Wind boot CD", it looks like there are several available.
Just to clarify: that would be the "additional stuff" as mentioned above?

Once you're done, install Chameleon manually to the hard drive.
Mandatory to make it boot?

Google to find retail OS X guides for the Wind to learn how others have set up Chameleon with the necessary patches so that OS X will run on it.
That would be the "vanilla install"?

(it is against the rules to discuss that here).
... sure - this is chameleon-forum - and nothing else ...

Retail will install to GUID only, but you might be able to use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the OS X install to an MBR formatted drive later (ie your internal drive).

CCC does not clone the boot loader so you will have to install Chameleon again after cloning.
So that's probably why my USB-Drives won't boot: I copied entire Mac OS X with CarbonCopyCloner to external USB-Drive. Could it be that there is some bootloader is missing that it does not boot from it - and could installing of chameleon onto that external USB-Drive make it boot? I tried both, GUID and MBR, on the external drive - and neither worked.

This time, in a way that it will work with Windows, so that you can dual boot from your internal drive. See link I posted on the previous page.
Meaning: the internal drive will have GPT and not MBR - and Windows XP will work on it? Or would only Vista or W7 run on GPT?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 10:10:17 AM by Voltaire »