Author Topic: NO theme NO matter what!! #@%!!! (Newbie)  (Read 9680 times)

zxcasd

• Entrant
NO theme NO matter what!! #@%!!! (Newbie)
« on: May 21, 2011, 05:04:41 AM »
If I boot from a DVD, (let's say TonyMac's iBoot) I get whatever theme iBoot came with. However the install that I have on my hard drive seems to be ignoring any flags I put in the com.apple.boot.plist

Hre is a copy of it:

Code: [Select]
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Instant Menu</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>Bullet</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

The one "weird" thing about my setup is that I have 2 drives with the following partitions:

Here is one drive:
x) Boot (Active partition if i remember correctly) It is 200MB, hfs, has chameleon on it, the extra folder etc
1) Windows XP 64

Here is the other drive:
x) "RESERVED" (Windows 7 boot partition created by the OS installer)
1) Windows 7
2) 10.6.7 (Active partition)
3) Ubuntu

The BIOS is set to start from the drive that has XP 64 in it and the active partition is the one called "Boot" described above.

I only get a pretty ugly DOS like boot dialog. It sucks. I have reinstalled Chameleon from TonyMac's multibeast, re-installed RC5 using a package installer I found on insanely mac, tinkered with the com.apple.boot.plist with no luck. As far as I know, the very nice and convenient chameeon prefpane doesn't ask you where is your boot drive but it assumes is on the same drive where the prefpane lives so any changes on it do not modify the plist that's in the drive i am booting from but changes the plist that lives in the drive where OSX (and the chameleon prefpane) lives..

I will be very thankful if anyone is kind enough to provide a possible explanation/solution to this problem using mental retarded proof vocabulary/courses of action. i.e. I'd love to avoid using commands in terminal if that is an option. I know how to open a file in text edit, how to show hidden files (with hide&seek) and how to change permissions to copy paste stuff into folders. I hope those poor skills are enough to get just the default theme showing.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 05:33:08 AM by zxcasd »

JPSnow

• Entrant
Re: NO theme NO matter what!! #@%!!! (Newbie)
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 04:06:45 AM »
Hi,

I am also a newbie lol. Today, I had that same exact problem with the themes you mentioned. I defined what theme I wanted to load, but I would always get stuck with a DOS looking screen.  After reviewing my code, I found that I had made some clumsy errors with the <key> and <string> parameters i.e. I mixed them up or forgot to end with the line a "/". (<string>X<string> should be <string>X</string>). If I am correct, I see that you have your Theme correctly set up in the code; however, your problem might be this area of the code:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>

Maybe try defining what you want on the string line or get rid of the Kernel Flags altogether if you do not need them.  I read somewhere that not having the <key> or <string> things correct can corrupt your code, so reviewing the code often helps when problems arise. Hope this helps, and good luck!

Gringo Vermelho

• Forum Moderator
  • The gray monster energy hat
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 05:06:09 AM »
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>

No that bit is perfectly normal, it's probably best to leave it that way.

The problem is probably that the theme folder with the 'bullet' theme folder inside is not located where Chameleon expects it to be.
10.9.5 - ASUS P8Z77-V Pro - i5 3570K - GTX 660 - Chameleon 2.3 svn-r2xxx
How to...
Install Chameleon: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,649
Make your own Chameleon boot CD: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,484.msg2131.html#msg2131

dooododoo

• Entrant
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 01:27:18 AM »
Here is the answer you are looking for:

Change "Legacy Logo" to "No"

Code: [Select]
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>No</string>

My understanding is that when you set it to "Yes," Chameleon uses the normal grey Apple logo only.  Think of it as being a genuine Apple computer default setting.

When you set it to "No," Chameleon will accept themes and display them.  If no themes are defined, a shiny Apple logo will be shown.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 01:36:32 AM by dooododoo »

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 09:01:05 AM »
Hi dooododoo

Just to clarify here. The 'Legacy Logo' boot option has nothing to do with determining whether or not a theme is displayed in Chameleon's GUI. It only impacts the logo shown on the screen where you see the kernel spinner. With the option enabled, you get to see the dark grey Apple logo on the light grey background as you would on a real Mac.

With the option disabled / non existent (as it is by default) Chameleon replaces the dark grey apple with the boot.png from the current theme.
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

dooododoo

• Entrant
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 01:20:25 AM »
blackosx >  I'm really trying to understand.  I've read your post 10 times, but isn't that what I wrote, except I said that "Legacy Logo" should be turned off?

I say that because when I have "Legacy Logo" turned on, my Themes do not get displayed.

Or is this a YMMV thing?  I don't think it should.

Let me verify…  rebooting...

dooododoo

• Entrant
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 01:32:44 AM »
blackosx > YOU'RE RIGHT!  Themes will take effect if "Legacy Logo" is enabled or disabled.  I actually got it mistaken with what the OP was asking because I use the "Bootcamp" theme.  So I jumbled the GUI theme and the Kernel spinner screen together.  Do you get it?  I was answering as if the OP was asking why the Apple logo wasn't being affected by the theme on the kernel spinner screen.  In that case, "Legacy Logo" must be turned off.

I hope I've explained myself.  You were right blackosx.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 03:26:23 PM by dooododoo »