overdue-scratch

Author Topic: Bad Idea: Chameleon was installed on my real Mac and now it won't boot  (Read 32111 times)

nettoks

• Entrant
Re: Bad Idea: Chameleon was installed on my real Mac and now it won't boot
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2010, 02:11:21 PM »
How about if the "affected" mac that have had the Chameleon v2 rc4 installed still is running and just havent rebooted yet since the "accident"?

Are there anyway of un-installing then? Anf if how?

Thanks, pete

ps.
I consider myself somewhat driven in modding computers, consoles etc. and have done so in many years. Have several lenovo netbooks running OS X for the kids and so on.
So the fact that I actually fell into this trap tells me that not all the documentation is quite good enough.

I had watched a few guides where tha RC1 was beeing used, and since there was NO documentation along with the RC4 I assumed that it worked in the same way (choosing desitation media during install) but no... so now I am in the same situation as a few other people. Not critisizing the great work that people do, but many things in the process of creating a hackintosh are taken for granted by the ones who make the guides. And especially the fact that you SHOULD NOT INSTALL THE CHAMELEON ON A GENUINE MAC" is not that apparent anywhere, except after you have done it.  ;)

Just my 5 cents of "tips" to the developers

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2010, 03:09:19 PM »
Hi Pete

Documentation is still under heavy development, hence the couple of stickies in the forum. You're welcome to help us if you feel like doing so.

I don't understand why a Mac (not hack) user would want to experiment/cannibalise his Mac with a bootloader that's meant to be used w/ hacks. There's a red warning about this, both in the FAQ + @ the blog where every subsequent release is announced.
Stop bitching, start coding or documenting or both..

P5Q-EM : Q6600 : 8GB RAM : 8800GT : SATA Drives

Terk

• Entrant
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2011, 10:56:13 PM »
Fixing Real Mac installed with Chameleon with refit
1. Download and burn Refit (refit.source forge.net) onto blank DVD.
2. Insert DVD into DVD drive
3. When booting Mac, hold option key and select Refit.
4. Click the disk utility button.
5. When it asks to click Y or N, click Y.
6. On main refit menu, arrow key to Mac icon
7. Click icon and wait for 3-5 min.
8. Reboot Mac, while booting hold option.
9. Select Macintosh HD when asks for which system to boot.
10. Once desktop loads, delete all traces of chameleon. (the .chameleon file, the chameleon.pkg, and all else related. These are hidden files so you will need to know how to view hidden files.)

This is the process I used to fix it, hope it helps. Cheers!

badboy711

• Entrant
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2011, 11:46:10 AM »
Thanks

jontresko

• Entrant
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2011, 11:28:03 AM »
None of this has worked for me. Even after following your steps with refit, hen selecting Mac from refit, it goes back to the kernal panic screen on startup "You must restart...."

Not sure where to go from here. Don't have the restore disk, so I'm trying to download it now. Relly would rather not have to do a reinstall if I don't have to...