overdue-scratch

Author Topic: Bad Idea: Chameleon was installed on my real Mac and now it won't boot  (Read 32120 times)

Canonbeck

• Entrant
My bro was trying to install osx on his netbook and managed to install chameleon efi on my mac! Now I get the flashing question mark on boot. I've tried reblessing the system folder, repairing the disk via disk utilities and resetting the pram but it still won't start. I've no idea what installing chameleon has actually done to my mac - can anyone help me put it right?
Cheers

Moderator Edit: Changed the title a bit. Looks like this bad idea is getting popular  :o.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 09:42:46 AM by rocksteady »

MACita

• Entrant
Re: Please help! Chameleon was installed on my mac and now it won't boot
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 01:22:31 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

1. dont drink alot when u test chameleon  ;D ;D ;D

ok stop joking...

Try REFIT!

google refit

sunyooh

• Entrant
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 05:35:30 PM »
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

ok stop joking...

Try REFIT!

google refit
:) :) :)

foltster

• Entrant
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 05:22:55 PM »
There must be some way to restore the original boot record.  I also mistakenly ran this setup on my macbook pro and now it will not boot.

Any ideas?

Im trying the REFIT solution now but would like to properly fix this if possible...

Thanks!

CyberGreg

• Entrant
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 09:42:51 PM »
Boot with your Leopard DVD, choose Start up disk from the Utilities menu and pick your hard drive. Reboot

Good luck
 8)

foltster

• Entrant
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 09:56:23 PM »
No dice on that one, still get the flashing question mark on boot. 

Does anyone know which files I would need to replace from another leopard install to get this working again?

CyberGreg

• Entrant
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 11:30:01 PM »
Open a terminal window and type "man bless" without the quotes. Then follow the instructions

edit actually on that process of picking your startup disk, it would be implied that you first pick say the DVD click ok and then reslect you hard drive
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 11:32:45 PM by CyberGreg »

snocat

• Entrant
Please help! Installed accidentally on Macbook Pro now it won't boot.
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 07:57:51 AM »
This is even worse, I was trying to fix hackintosh by following some instruction and accidentatly installed chameleon on a real mac. Now my real mac can't boot. Is there a way to reverse chameleon? I can boot up to terminal from boot disk, but i can't seem to figure out how to reverse the damage. With restoring EFI?

Any ideas? Or it would be great if someone can tell me what Chameleon changes on a computer, so i can use terminal to revert the changes, if possible.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 12:12:34 PM by snocat »

gmacman

• Observer
Re: Chameleon on a Real Mac
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 07:00:36 PM »
Ouch.  Hopefully someone can give you a better answer.  But I would be very worried about any method someone suggests since it would be hard to make sure you really cleaned everything out (with documentation for hacking stuff like Chameleon being sketchy at the least it).

Having real macs myself, I'd prefer to make sure it was truly clean of any Hackintosh stuff.  And the cleanest solution I can think of would be to boot from your leopard dvd and then copy your existing hard drive to a backup drive.  Then reinstall leopard completely (including repartitioning the drive) and then use Migration Assistant to reload your personal files, apps, settings, etc. from the backup drive.

Granted this is a long process but it would insure that Chameleon is removed completely.

entropy1980

• Entrant
Please help! Installed accidentally on Macbook Pro now it won't boot.
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 06:52:54 PM »
So I accidentally installed Chameleon on my Macbook Pro. Now the machine won't boot. I tried clearing PRAM, and even a clean install. No matter what it just comes up with a Folder with a ?. Can anybody help me out?

HMiller

• Entrant

Ouch...have you tried repartitioning in Disk Utilty (booted from OSX DVD)?

Diver

• Entrant
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2009, 11:00:54 AM »
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

ok stop joking...

Try REFIT!

google refit

After 18 straight sleepless hours, I registered just to say THANK YOU for mentioning REFIT.
Wish I had read this sooner.

Who ever installs chameleon on an iMac and faces boot issues, give REFIT a try first. It will probably save you from the agony.

rawr

• Entrant
hey, i've got same problem like you.

if i will insert my leopard disk, i can't repair my bootfiles. Now i tried rEFIt, installed on an usb-stick. my mac will boot up, so i can see the surface from refit, but whats next?

If I select my hard-disk, nothing will happen. if i use the leopard disk, nothing happend ... :(

help please

nogo

• Entrant
Semi-Emergency [Chameleon 2.0 /Mac Pro].
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 05:29:48 AM »
Hello,

I was creating a bootable MSI OSX thumb drive when I accidentally put the
Chameleon loader onto my Mac Pro hard drive.

I know, I know... OSX86 is still a little fresh to me. Be gentle.

So, now I cannot boot into my Mac Pro, using my main drive.

I need to know how to uninstall the file('s) that were placed on
the Mac Pro hard drive.

I have my Apple disk in the Mac Pro now, so I can use terminal... I just
need to know what code to run.

While I do have a back-up drive, it was not exactly up to date. So, I am praying
that there is a way to reverse what I did.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Terc

• Forum Moderator
Semi-Emergency [Chameleon 2.0 /Mac Pro].
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 03:32:22 PM »
Wow... LOTS of people are doing this.
Seems that no one reads installers and simply clicks Next Next Next Ne... oh, Finish.