overdue-scratch

Author Topic: [Resolved] Firewire security mode problem and IODeviceTree  (Read 44615 times)

Superhai

• VoodooLabs
Re: Firewire security mode problem and IODeviceTree
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2009, 08:49:22 PM »
I try. Removed the entry for EFINVRAMDisabler in the Disabler plist.
I see no difference. In both case (before and after) I get:
Code: [Select]
u2c:~ chris$ kextstat -l | grep NVRAM
    8    1 0x0        0x0        0x0        com.apple.iokit.IONVRAMFamily (9.6.0)

You have to re-enable the EFIruntime to let AppleEFINVRAM to load I think. Try that.

chris789

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2009, 11:46:50 PM »
You have to re-enable the EFIruntime to let AppleEFINVRAM to load I think. Try that.

OK. I removed all entries except IntelCPUPMDisabler from the Disabler kext.
AppleEFINVRAM loads now!
Code: [Select]
u2c:~ chris$ kextstat -l | grep NVRAM
    8    1 0x0        0x0        0x0        com.apple.iokit.IONVRAMFamily (9.6.0)
   43    0 0x5b18b000 0x6000     0x5000     com.apple.driver.AppleEFINVRAM (1.2.0) <35 7 6 5 4>

And the Firewire error is solved if I boot from EFI partition via munky's! I get 41 MB/s FW400 read with < 2% CPU load.
Thats's great. Thanks for your guidance!

The situation with Chameleon2 did not improve. AppleEFINVRAM loads, but there are still 2 options entries and the Firewire error persists.

savestheday

• Observer
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 03:54:43 PM »
ahhh this is good news...at least you're getting closer to fixing the problem!  I'm sure the Chameleon guys are checking this thread....no way to fix this with Chameleon 2.0, eh?  I'm not sure what the difference between Disabler.kext and IntelCPUMDisabler.kext  - I use both of them on my Chameleon stick.  Is that wrong?

hank

• Entrant
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2009, 06:32:00 PM »
before installing Chameleon 2 i view uuid data in ioregistryexplorer. Now is not show

Farx

• Entrant
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2009, 05:49:10 AM »
@superhai

I have only IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext, boot from EFI partition, vanilla nstalls with Chameleon2.
My mobo is Gigabyte 965p. AppleEFINVRAM seems can't load.
Are there any way to make AppleEFINVRAM load?
Thanks in advance.

savestheday

• Observer
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2009, 07:44:05 PM »
@superhai

I have only IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext, boot from EFI partition, vanilla nstalls with Chameleon2.
My mobo is Gigabyte 965p. AppleEFINVRAM seems can't load.
Are there any way to make AppleEFINVRAM load?
Thanks in advance.

In your IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext, is there any reference to AppleEFINVRAM?  Did you clear out your extensions.mkext?

Farx

• Entrant
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2009, 08:58:19 PM »
In your IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext, is there any reference to AppleEFINVRAM?  Did you clear out your extensions.mkext?

Thanks for your reply.
I think there is no reference to AppleEFINVRAM in IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext.
I am sure I have cleared my extensions.mkext.

DooV

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2009, 09:58:00 PM »
The same problem is happening in my mobo with Chameleon 2 RC1. I moved back to PCEFI v9 and the problem got solved.

Anyway before reverting to PCEFI v9 I tried the SMBIOSResolver.kext superhaiĀ“s posted here forcing not to load default smbios values at it seemed to work nicely, but the same kext doesn't load with PCEFI v9.

Any idea? I had to use the old AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext in order to get info from the Apple System Profiler.

I hope Chameleon guys fix this issue (and others http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,353.0.html ) when the final version is released.

elastic

• Entrant
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2009, 04:59:02 AM »
hi,

i've got the same problem, but for me is really a big pain, because i'm a live musician and use a firewire audio interface.

i've built a custom box for live performance, with 10.5.6, but the i believe the firewire full secure mode is keeping me from using my rig on it's full potential. i've just tested the same software on it under Windows 7 and it rocks good.. but i still prefer the stability (and other issues, like midi timing) of OSX so if this problem gets solved i'll be very happy cat.

cheers

DooV

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2009, 07:32:51 PM »
hi,

i've got the same problem, but for me is really a big pain, because i'm a live musician and use a firewire audio interface.

i've built a custom box for live performance, with 10.5.6, but the i believe the firewire full secure mode is keeping me from using my rig on it's full potential. i've just tested the same software on it under Windows 7 and it rocks good.. but i still prefer the stability (and other issues, like midi timing) of OSX so if this problem gets solved i'll be very happy cat.

cheers

Probably your best choice at the moment is installing PCEFI v9. It doesn't suffer the issue with firewire and you have full extra folder support. As you said this firewire problem is crucial for people working with professional audio interfaces (thank god all of my fellow musicians I installed OS X are using either usb or PCI cards).

I'd really love to know some updates about the issue and chamaleon "rc2". It's a pain going back to the ugly text interface after tasting chameleon 2 gui :P

rcfa

Disabler.kext documentation?
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2009, 08:13:26 PM »
I followed this thread with interest, but now I wonder:
Is there anywhere a write up or documentation why we need Disabler.kext, and which extensions still need to be disabled?
I have references to EFINVRAM, EFIRuntime, IntelCPUPM, and SMCPlatformPlugin disablers.
If I understand this thread, EFINVRAM, EFIRuntime could be deleted.
What about the rest, is this all stuff that eventually goes away as Chameleon evolves and emulates more of the EFI and SMBIOS functionality, or are there some fundamental reasons why these have to be disabled that way?

Pointers appreciated...

elastic

• Entrant
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2009, 10:43:48 PM »
hi,

cheers

Probably your best choice at the moment is installing PCEFI v9. It doesn't suffer the issue with firewire and you have full extra folder support. As you said this firewire problem is crucial for people working with professional audio interfaces (thank god all of my fellow musicians I installed OS X are using either usb or PCI cards).

I'd really love to know some updates about the issue and chamaleon "rc2". It's a pain going back to the ugly text interface after tasting chameleon 2 gui :P

thank you DooV,

now running full speed firewire (texas instruments)  8)

cheers!

zef

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2009, 01:51:55 AM »

We removed creation of /options node in r468, so it shouldn't cause Firewire DMA issues anymore.
The RC2 contains many fixes and improvements since r431, and we will release it as soon as we can :)
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 | i5-2500k | 16GB RAM | GTX560 | Keyboard | Mouse | Devilsound DAC

Terc

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2009, 03:33:53 PM »
*Can't wait*

DooV

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2009, 08:04:21 PM »
We removed creation of /options node in r468, so it shouldn't cause Firewire DMA issues anymore.
The RC2 contains many fixes and improvements since r431, and we will release it as soon as we can :)
Great!!!