Author Topic: [Resolved] Firewire security mode problem and IODeviceTree  (Read 44633 times)

chipxsd

• Entrant
Re: Firewire security mode problem and IODeviceTree
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2009, 12:43:45 PM »
We removed creation of /options node in r468, so it shouldn't cause Firewire DMA issues anymore.
The RC2 contains many fixes and improvements since r431, and we will release it as soon as we can :)
Will this solve my "No FireWire ports can be detected." problem too?

DooV

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2009, 12:53:18 PM »
I doubt it. Your problem provably has to do with iopcifamily.kext. Either you are using a bad one or need a modified one.

chipxsd

• Entrant
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2009, 01:05:41 PM »
DooV: thanks for your reply. Could you please point me in the right direction, I can't seem to find the problem that's causing the firewire issues.

I never had any issues with firewire before, I've been using the same hardware setup since 10.4.8, and I've updated the software whenever a new update came to the surface. I've been using the PCEFI9 (for about a year), but I decided to make a fresh 10.5.7 install and switch to Chameleon and give it a shot.

About the iopcifamily.kext - I never had to touch it to get the firewire working, it worked without any modifications.

Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

edit: I'm starting to think, this is not a Chameleon related issue: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2014443&tstart=1
edit2: putting it to sleep and then up again seems to bring the FW0 interface to the system. But the message in the system profiler changed to "Warning:   Unable to list FireWire devices." and it's still not recognizing my audio interface.
edit3: SOLVED! ... well, kind off -- I had to delete the AppleHPET.kext, cleared the kext cache, rebooted and it worked. But aren't I gonna need the AppleHPET.kext?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 01:33:20 PM by chipxsd »

Snow

• Entrant
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2009, 07:38:03 PM »
Hah! just noticed I don't have the Firewire Secure error anymore so that probably means I'm running my DAW latency at maximum performance now. I have to check latency settings asap to confirm this.

I had the Secure issue with the Previous Chameleon pc_efi (V9) and gave up because I could not find any solution to this and I thought it was only affecting my boot time (+20 secs)

But I did not know this affects Firewire transfer and being a guitar player hooked up to an Presonus Inspire 1394 Firewire powered device I need the low latency.

So another + for the Chameleon 2 bootloader.

Now if you could only solve the deep sleep issue with Windows 7 (which worked before with v9) it would be perfect.

Thx and keep up the good work amigos
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 07:45:58 PM by Kabyl »

DooV

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2009, 07:42:25 PM »
Hah! just noticed I don't have the Firewire Secure error anymore so that probably means I'm running my DAW latency at maximum performance now. I have to check latency settings asap to confirm this.

I had the Secure issue with the Previous Chameleon pc_efi (V9) and gave up because I could not find any solution to this and I thought it was only affecting my boot time (+20 secs)

But I did not know this affects Firewire transfer and being a guitar player hooked up to an Presonus Inspire 1394 Firewire powered device I need the low latency.

So another + for the Chameleon 2 bootloader.

Now if you could only solve the deep sleep issue with Windows 7 (which worked before with v9) it would be perfect.

Thx and keep up the good work amigos
???
Chameleon 2 RC1 does indeed have the firewire bug (which will be solved in the next version), and in fact it's PCEFI v9 the bootloader which doesn't have it at the moment. Have you read and understood this topic? I think you are confusing some things
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 07:46:52 PM by Kabyl »

Snow

• Entrant
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2009, 09:43:16 PM »
Hi m8, the only thing I'm not 100% sure of is the fact that it happend with efi v9 or v8.

Other then that I think I'm on track here since I had the same Firewire Security Mode issue for a long time. Boot time was delayed about 20 secs or more (halt in between due to Firewire issue)

If I'm completely off topic then my apologies and I'll shut up.

Sorry for my bad english if thats the problem, Belgian user here.

Later lads

DooV

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2009, 10:08:32 PM »
Probably your problem was a different one, since my osx install boots exactly in the same time with PCEFI v9 (FW ok) and with Chameleon 2 RC1 (FW DMA bug). I mean, the firewire bug doesn't produce any noticeable delay. Anyway there's some I can warrantee you, if you are using the current Chameleon 2 RC1 version you have the DMA bug up and running in your osx installation and so you will have high cpu usage while you make firewire transfers.

JustinAiken

• Entrant
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2009, 11:57:09 PM »
I keep waiting for RC2 to fix this... right now I can run a good number of tracks with a 128 buffer, which is pretty damn good... but I want want lower latency even!  ;D

DooV

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2009, 06:45:14 PM »
The firewire dma bug is not present in PCEFIv10 :)

Apex

• Observer
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2009, 09:55:56 AM »
After updating to Chameleon RC2 i still get the Firewire Security Error:
Code: [Select]
Aug  3 09:52:56 localhost kernel[0]: FireWire (OHCI) TI ID 8024 PCI now active, GUID 002f101500001fd0; max speed s400.
Aug  3 09:52:59 Hackmac kernel[0]: ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure.

EDIT:

I had the "AppleEFIRuntime.kext" removed cause of CMOS reset issues. After i copied it back to the Extensionsfolder, the errormessage was gone. So RC2 DOES fix the slow Firewiretransfers IF the AppleEFIRuntime.kext is loaded.

I am trying another cmos-reset fix now (DSDT)

« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 10:52:47 AM by Apex »

ac3bcn

• Entrant
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2009, 10:32:11 AM »
I'm still having this error:

ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure.

after updating to Chameleon 2.0 RC2, no luck for me.

Motherboard: Gigabyte EP35-DS3P with an Intel Core2 Duo E8400.

Kabyl

• VoodooLabs
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2009, 10:42:32 AM »
I'm still having this error:

do you have AppleEFIRuntime.kext loaded?

ac3bcn

• Entrant
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2009, 11:41:53 AM »
Yes, I've AppleEFIRuntime , I've a retail insatallation with DSDT patch.

I've DSDT fix for HPET, Audio, ethernet "built-in", nvidia graphichs, and CMOS reset for SL.
I've only remove AppleUpstream.kext and replaced AppleSMBios.kext to inject hardware model.

I'm running 10.5.8, with some legacy kexts in Extra for Audio Path Maps and AHCI Storage.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 11:44:45 AM by ac3bcn »

Kabyl

• VoodooLabs
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2009, 01:03:22 PM »
... and replaced AppleSMBios.kext to inject hardware model.

Please, don't replace that kext, and use the /Extra/smbios.plist instead.

ac3bcn

• Entrant
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2009, 04:18:23 PM »
Ok, I restored original AppleSMBios.kext, now I' dont have the firewire error, instead I have

_CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

again (that was the reason of AppleSMBios replacement).

EDIT: Solved erroneus info in About this Mac and Sytem Profiler updating smbios.plist

Still having "_CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35"
and in  Harware->Memory : "Se ha producido un error al reunir esta informaciĆ³n." an error occurred getting information.

SOLVED: with original AppleSMBios.kext and updating smbios.plist for info, and UUID.kext for
"Error 35".

Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 04:55:49 PM by ac3bcn »