overdue-scratch

Author Topic: Moving to grub2  (Read 8645 times)

mackerintel

• VoodooLabs
Moving to grub2
« on: April 20, 2009, 09:44:45 PM »
Hello, with now grub2 being able to boot xnu directly we could change from boot-132 based Chameleon to it. Once xnu patches are incorporated we will need to write few external modules and graphical/autodetect interface in lua or C. It would free us from burden of maintaining non-xnu parts. It will have an advantage of being able to boot the device invisible from bios, including cd (with ata module) and better support for some graphic cards (e.g. intel if you compile intel module from grub-extras which will perhaps be integrated to upstream). What do you think about it?

sckevyn

• VoodooLabs
Re: Moving to grub2
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 09:53:54 PM »
My $0.02 worth... from irc =)

<@sckevyn> Grub... gah... I just want to say, it better have a native OS X installer or I'm throwing it out =)

If it provides us with the same functionality we currently have, and more then it would seem to be a viable migration path, but if it only offers us what we currently have then is the effort worth it?

I understand they have CDbooting knocked out so that would be a + in the pro column =) But I guess it depends on the features we gain vs features we lose, if any.

sck

THe KiNG

• Observer
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 10:06:13 PM »
My vote is +1
Well we need to move some stuff but might be a better alternative then old boot-132.
After I read this http://grub.enbug.org/XNUSupport seems is not that hard to play with it.
Not to mention that apple might reserve us some surprise on 10.7....

prasys

• Entrant
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 03:45:19 PM »
Seems to have better handling then ye ol' boot-132

I've experiences with lua as I've worked with some wow scripts with ascent (wowserveremu)

Trauma

• Observer
  • Took too much man !
    • http://www.darwinx86.org - The french OSx86 docs
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 11:02:49 PM »
Since i've experienced Grub2 this past summer, i'll vote +1. Thanks to JrCs and phcoder for that.

Grub2 have a great potential, XNU booting works pretty fine and all basics options for Hackintosh user are already there. On top off that Grub2 offer many technical improvements regarding Boot-132.
Desktop : GA-EP45-DS4 / E8400 @ 3 Ghz / 2Go 1066Mhz RAM / Shutdown/Reboot/Sleep/Speedstep Os X 10.5.6 Retail + Chameleon v2 Apple Raid + 9.6.0 Vanilla
NetBook : MSi Wind U100-015 2 Gb 667Mhz RAM / Shutdown/Reboot/Sleep/Speedstep / Os X 10.5.6 Retail + Chamelon v2

JrCs

• VoodooLabs
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 10:58:56 AM »
I all,
i'm one of the developper that work in the grub2 team (especially on the OSX aspects).
Currently we can install grub2 directly from OSX.
Grub2 can load any ACPI tables and can insert dev-properties in the EFI tree. The xnu module support loading and resuming xnu kernel.
In the experimental branch we have support of graphics menu with themes (http://grub.gibibit.com/Themes).
So i vote +1 for moving to grub2

nesnfsn

• Observer
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 06:51:01 PM »
Having viewed the progress being made with apps like BURG (read, Grub backwards), as well as with Grub2 itself, it appears that the coders/developers working on Grub2 are getting to where I think Chameleon should be with regard to efficiency, as well as design (themability).

This could truly help those who multi-boot with an OS X hack, as well as the various flavours of MS Win and distributions in Linux.

Just my 2 cents.

scrax

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 06:48:25 PM »
I have a working osX 10.6.4 in GUID mode that boot from Grub2 loading /Extra/Extensions /Extra/DSDT.aml (or an ACPI Table) /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist
Mem detection works good (but not in Chameleon).

I just installed Ubuntu (after OsX) and update.

For now I need to use the Ubuntu install to make change to the boot loader, but it's because i'm a totally noob in using Grub2

I've managed to compile it on Osx but i'm not sure it's al god because I've brutally removed the parts of code that were giving me errors (installing some mising commands also is needed)

No GUI for now, so it boots in verbose by default