Author Topic: org.chameleon.boot.plist arch Issues  (Read 13258 times)

unimatrix725

• Observer
org.chameleon.boot.plist arch Issues
« on: September 07, 2011, 06:45:51 PM »
I could not find a more satisfactory answer but on t*macs website, stating the chimera installer simply renames the com.apple.boot.plist to the newer standard. There are many documents on the old plist and the options, just not for 2.1 series. I went ahead and did this as the depreciated warnings were bothering me and would not go away unless I pressed a key a few times.  I have noted that however there is an issue here, at least with simply copy and rename file. The structure is a little different and it does not quite understand my custom flags or does not support it. A guide on the new chameleon boot plist would be much appreciated.
   I noticed my system panicked after the simple rename. So i restarted and typed in the flags I know by heart for my system. I am running on a AMD Phenom II x4 955 be, Asus M4N82 Deluxe board, NON RAID (using the reincarnated 980a chip set) on 10.6.7, I do have a modded DSDT, which someone helped me with. . Opened the plist in chameleon wizard a nifty new program i found a link to on this site somewhere (many thanks!).

Hopefully someone who knows more can help here. Using Chameleon 2.1 rev1508. The new chameleon assumed that my flags -v arch=i386 -force64 pmversion=23 was to be mapped or whatnot as arch=x86_64. I have never got this flag to work ever, as the arch=i386 -force64 worked and flawless. Last night I went to open VLC and it error-ed, stating that the app was not supported on this platform and looking at the icon it had a circle with a slash over it. So I just downloaded a 32bit as there was no longer an option to check run 32bit only, but a Rosetta option had appeared. The other plus is that my WindowShade X works correctly now as well as voodoo hda now lets me use my optical out (not a big deal). I have tried using plist editor to add the -force64 and it just ignores it as I cannot run many 64bit apps. Either I am doing something wrong / unsupported (more likely) or there is a bug, if It is please pass it along.

I am forced to go back to the depreciated but 64-bit working boot plist and deal with the press any key until someone can help. I do appreciate all the time and consideration in anyone helping me in advance and again thank you!

created an issue report - Issue 179 has been created.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 07:01:28 PM by unimatrix725 »

unimatrix725

• Observer
Re: org.chameleon.boot.plist arch Issues
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 10:43:03 PM »
It has been 10 days 21 hours ago Since I made a "Bug Report" at

http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleon/issues/ .

I did get one question, which was I using a RAID setup and if so a link for the work around. I am not using a RAID Setup. I am wondering how the process works with the bug reporting, maybe some one can shed some light on the process. I have seen bugs posted there and status marked as accepted in under a day. I have no idea if someone is looking at the issue, investigating or whatnot. I have decided to post a poll with my post, so I may see if there are people having this issue other than me and roughly how many. I know allot of people do not respond to forums for many reasons, but may be likely to click a few buttons.
   I am concerned about this issue and wonder if it should be marked as High or even Critical. I am wanting to upgrade to Lion and have no idea what the effect will be. I am guessing that it will fail horribly, considering the 64 bit issues. I am sure that I am not the only AMD user having issues or will be the last. Granted I know there was a lot of time and effort put forth in getting AMD CPUs supported in the beginning. Some input from a dev would put me at ease. I do highly recommend that people report bugs, issues and experiences as it improves the community greatly. Thanks to all who help and read what I post.

:o I have attached a pic of what is obvious (to me) so others can see. Here it shows the app icon is different (never seen this before), it pops up 2 warnings about the app even when opening only once ( I even right clicked and chose open still 2 double dialogs) and lastly the Get Info window missing missing open 32-bit and now an option to use rosetta (been awhile since I have seen that one). ???

Gringo Vermelho

• Forum Moderator
  • The gray monster energy hat
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 04:05:03 AM »
zip and attach your org.chameleon.Boot.plist and your old com.apple.Boot.plist that used to work for you. If you still have it.
I could not find a more satisfactory answer but on t*macs website, stating the chimera installer simply renames the com.apple.boot.plist to the newer standard. There are many documents on the old plist and the options, just not for 2.1 series.
Boothelp.txt is also included with Chameleon 2.1 and all the new Chameleon configuration flags are there.
If you used a TonyMacx86 product, please take your issues to their forum.
Bug reports are accepted for the Chameleon boot loader itself but not if the issue is caused by a 3rd party installer or utility. Neither can we support these tools here.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 04:06:46 AM by Gringo Vermelho »
10.9.5 - ASUS P8Z77-V Pro - i5 3570K - GTX 660 - Chameleon 2.3 svn-r2xxx
How to...
Install Chameleon: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,649
Make your own Chameleon boot CD: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,484.msg2131.html#msg2131

unimatrix725

• Observer
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 02:19:21 AM »
Thank you, I have reviewed that  link. It does look very similar to the 1.x-2.0 boothelp file (which I have a copy of). I see that there are some of the new options there and some missing, that are implemented in the 2.1x. A guide to the structure or correct layout for the plist would help, can you point to one? I am grateful, very grateful for the help.
     I did not use tmacs product in this case. It was just a reference as there was more info that could be "googled" there. I took an excerpt from what someone said that the installer did (Chimera I think and it didn't sit too well with my system) . Just simply rename the plist and it will work. Well to an extent it did, however there were allot of issues with that, as posted. I am attaching the plists.

I went ahead and reviewed the plists again just before uploading. I figured it out! The flag that I required got dropped -force64 by chameleon upon "first boot" with the renamed file. My reasoning is that a new key/string arch is there which isn't in the depreciated plist. So the renaming may work on some systems just fine without allot of flags. Chameleon took the -v arch=i386 -force64 flags as I wanted 32 bit and I guess did not know what to do with the -force64? If you look at the file you will know what I am referring to.
 I did add the -force64 back, apparently I saved those changes to /Extra and forgot to copy edited file over to the efi partition, for correct loading. Upon reboot with the file copied back to EFI where it should have been the 64 issue is gone. I do thank you for having me up load them.

I guess a thread should be made about what to do about a depreciated boot plist. with maybe an excerpt or two from this thread. I still believe there is a bug here, just not as severe as I thought. Perhaps a script can be made to parse the file, a check in chameleon or some type of app/applescript?

* Always remember when just renaming the com.apple.boot.plist to org.chameleon.boot.plist to check in an editor that the flags are matched up with the value and key. Flags go under "Kernel Flags" and arch type under "Arch". And that you have placed your plist file in the correct location for your setup.

PS: I have been unusually tired and stressed lately (Personal Life Drama) so I hope my post is understandable.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 02:27:48 AM by unimatrix725 »

Gringo Vermelho

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 04:14:00 AM »
I'm glad you worked it out.

* Always remember when just renaming the com.apple.boot.plist to org.chameleon.boot.plist to check in an editor that the flags are matched up with the value and key. Flags go under "Kernel Flags" and arch type under "Arch". And that you have placed your plist file in the correct location for your setup.

An "Arch" key/string set is not supported by Chameleon.

arch=i386 is a kernel flag and as such belongs in the kernel flags string.
How to...
Make your own Chameleon boot CD: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,484.msg2131.html#msg2131

unimatrix725

• Observer
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 01:47:45 AM »
Thanks for the tip. I did find that odd, that was what made me think there was a bug in the new chamelon. When I renamed the plist, it created the arch key and never added or removed the flags. (it was at the bottom of the plist). I think I should find a clean org.chamelon.boot.plist and edit as needed. If you have one that is complete (all options needed or not) that would help allot.

Gringo Vermelho

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 03:30:54 AM »
Make a copy of /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist, name it org.chameleon.Boot.plist and start from there. All the boot flags are listed in boothelp.txt.
You can also view most of them in the Chameleon source code right here:
http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleon/source/tree/HEAD/trunk/i386/boot2/boot.h
Btw...
The flag that I required got dropped -force64 by chameleon upon "first boot" with the renamed file.
... -force64 is not a Chameleon flag. It's a kernel flag that's supported by the patched kernel you are using. It doesn't have anything to do with Chameleon. Read the Voodoo Kernel pdf manual:
http://code.google.com/p/xnu-dev/downloads/detail?name=Voodoo%20Kernel%20User%20Documentation.pdf
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 04:28:54 AM by Gringo Vermelho »
How to...

vienna01

• Entrant
  • I've Forgotten More Than I Knew
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 08:25:39 PM »
Make a copy of /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist, name it org.chameleon.Boot.plist and start from there. All the boot flags are listed in boothelp.txt.
You can also view most of them in the Chameleon source code right here:
http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleon/source/tree/HEAD/trunk/i386/boot2/boot.h
Btw...
The flag that I required got dropped -force64 by chameleon upon "first boot" with the renamed file.
... -force64 is not a Chameleon flag. It's a kernel flag that's supported by the patched kernel you are using. It doesn't have anything to do with Chameleon. Read the Voodoo Kernel pdf manual:
http://code.google.com/p/xnu-dev/downloads/detail?name=Voodoo%20Kernel%20User%20Documentation.pdf
2 questions about this:
1. MY /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist, is empty of the items in MY .plist in EXTRA.
Is that correct? Do any executables use the .plist in L/P/SC/com.apple.boot.plist?
2. The list of keys in that source listing- Some seem like they are recognized by Chameleon via .plist and some are kernel flags recognized by the hackintosh kernel [XNU?]. How can I tell which are which? I am not a "C" code reader unfortunately.
GA-P55a-UD3 F11, i5650,8GB OCZ 1333,700w PSU, Asus 8400 GS silent, OSX 10.6.6 & Win 7 Sp1 on separate drives. Built with iBoot & Multibeast [various versions up through 3.4].
USB keyboard & mouse, 1TB OSX & 300GB WIN7 [mbr] HDDs.

Gringo Vermelho

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 02:51:12 AM »
com.apple.Boot.plist in /bla/bla/SystemConfiguration is not supposed reflect your settings in org.chameleon.Boot.plist. And it's normally not used by anybody who has a real Mac. Leave it unmodified.

I'm not sure how to answer your second question. Note the words on line 132:
Code: [Select]
132 * Flags to the booter or kernel
133 */
134 #define kVerboseModeFlag    "-v"
135 #define kSafeModeFlag        "-x"
136 #define kIgnoreCachesFlag    "-f"
137 #define kIgnoreBootFileFlag    "-F"
138 #define kSingleUserModeFlag    "-s"

These are kernel flags. The rest are Chameleon-specific keys.
If you're using a patched kernel, consult its documentation for additional flags.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 05:28:20 AM by Gringo Vermelho »
How to...