Author Topic: ChameleonPrefPane revived  (Read 25873 times)

rekursor

• VoodooLabs
Re: ChameleonPrefPane revived
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2011, 02:07:28 AM »
I added localization for the status error messages ...
Also, for buttons, you could externalize the strings by using the command named ibexport_all , then edit the new strings, then reimport them in the resources with xibupdate_all ;)

You can add to the localizable.strings of each locale resource folder the following (see english version for more info),
By default it will use a hardcoded english text but won't crash if the following is not present :

/* error */
"Error_Parsing" = "Error while parsing %@";

/* error */
"Error_Searching" = "Error while searching for org.chameleon.Boot.plist";

/* msgbox */
"CD_Success" = "Boot cd creator script successfully executed. BootCD.iso has been created in %@.";

/* msgbox */
"CD_Failure" = "ERROR: Couldn't execute boot cd creator script successfully!";

/* msgbox */
"Freeze_Dialog" = "Inject Partitions to Freeze Configuration";

/* msgbox */
"Freeze_NoPart" = "No current partitions to inject, did you check boot config file ?";

/* msgbox */
"Freeze_Overwrite" = "Are you sure you want to overwrite your Freeze settings with current partition list ?";
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 02:28:41 AM by rekursor »

ErmaC

• Resident
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2011, 02:36:27 AM »
commit 401
(my branch)
I do some minus change for Italian Localizable.strings...
Tomorrow I try more things..
THX a lot rek!

Fabio
P6T Deluxe v1 i7 940 Quadro Fx 5600
P6T SE i7 920 GeForce GT 240

rekursor

• VoodooLabs
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2011, 03:57:08 AM »
Please ErmaC refrain updating resources because I'm doing that now ...
We are colliding together !

The good news is that I found how to fix all resources, I just fixed Italian ...

rekursor

• VoodooLabs
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2011, 04:27:18 AM »
That's all fixed now, Ermac you can fix the latest Italian strings
when you're done just use xibupdate_all, then build in release mode, then force the panel to fully reload (double click on the prefpane in build/release and you're done ;)
EDIT: I fixed few german+italian strings, now I'm really done on translations,
ErmaC + MacOSX please review the Italian ...
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 04:54:32 AM by rekursor »

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2011, 10:37:42 AM »
Hi Rek

Well done with the fast pace of development on this.

I've had a chance to do further testing this morning and here are a few more issues for you too look at:

Boot Flags page / Boot Theme - the drop down list is populated with themes I don't have in /Extra/Themes? The pref pane should ideally scan my /Extra/Themes folder and use it's contents in the list.

Boot Flags page / Time Out - The drop down list only shows 1-10. I like to set the value to 0. Though I guess a Time Out setting of 0 can be achieved by checking 'Instant Menu'. So maybe when checking 'Instant Menu', the timeout option should be disabled as it's use would be redundant?

Chameleon now has a UseKernelCache boot option for Lion which is not currently in the Pref Pane. This will need adding (Hope it doesn't mess up your layout to much?)

Advanced / debug - Clicking the debug option, and choosing a value from the drop down menu will add the appropriate string to kernel flags. However, disabling the debug checkbox doesn't remove the debug string from kernel flags?

About page - Can the current revision be shown?

BIOS page - DSDT file and SMBIOS file checkboxes and paths are currently not set. Can these be set and populated on load if the files exist in /Extra? Is this maybe why the 'Open smbios.plist' button does nothing?

BIOS page - Extract SMIBOS is working well, as is Extract ACPI. Is it worth notifying the user that the files have been dumped to ~/Desktop/Chameleon as you do when creating the Rescue Boot CD?

That's all for now  :P
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

rekursor

• VoodooLabs
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2011, 03:00:57 PM »
Boot Flags page / Boot Theme - the drop down list is populated with themes I don't have in /Extra/Themes? The pref pane should ideally scan my /Extra/Themes folder and use it's contents in the list.
This is a new feature request, not a bug: the intent of the drop is to provide a simple default text settings. Scanning the directory would be  another nice feature, so please add it in the forge as a feature request ;)

Boot Flags page / Time Out - The drop down list only shows 1-10. I like to set the value to 0. Though I guess a Time Out setting of 0 can be achieved by checking 'Instant Menu'. So maybe when checking 'Instant Menu', the timeout option should be disabled as it's use would be redundant?
FIXED I added a 0 setup, but one can set any other value instantly just by typing the number  as needed (no drop box needed) ...

Chameleon now has a UseKernelCache boot option for Lion which is not currently in the Pref Pane. This will need adding (Hope it doesn't mess up your layout to much?)
Good point, what about the dark wake ? ; please guys make a a list of new flag features and I'll add them ;)
ADDED UseKernelCache and dark wake options
Advanced / debug - Clicking the debug option, and choosing a value from the drop down menu will add the appropriate string to kernel flags. However, disabling the debug checkbox doesn't remove the debug string from kernel flags?
Once you understand the design, you usually love it: in fact unchecking won't add any flag in the plist at all but still keep the previous setup so that if you check it again (i.e. because you were not sure) you still have these options...
EDIT: FIXED :)
About page - Can the current revision be shown?
+1, please add this to the forge site ; it's also a new feature request.
BIOS page - DSDT file and SMBIOS file checkboxes and paths are currently not set. Can these be set and populated on load if the files exist in /Extra? Is this maybe why the 'Open smbios.plist' button does nothing?
There was a problem with your smbios.plist not being in /Extra -> FIXED  ;)
these are for overrides, by default you should NOT use them, it is only in the case where you have different naming for these files, then you could setup them (i.e.: DSDT_Test.aml, smbios_beta.plist and so on)

BIOS page - Extract SMBIOS is working well, as is Extract ACPI. Is it worth notifying the user that the files have been dumped to ~/Desktop/Chameleon as you do when creating the Rescue Boot CD?
That's all for now  :P
I think for SMBIOS you get the window opened with your plist, if you don't see it is probably because you simply don't have any application associated to plist files.
If you wish I could open the directory as well in that case ?
Thanks for your feedback  BlackOSX!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 08:23:33 PM by rekursor »

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2011, 08:18:04 PM »
Hey Rek - Thanks for your responses and further work :)

This is a new feature request, not a bug: the intent of the drop is to provide a simple default text settings. Scanning the directory would be  another nice feature, so please add it in the forge as a feature request ;)
Now I understand the purpose of the drop down menu now, but I have to admit that it's confusing at first.
Yes, I could add a feature request at the forge, however as far as I know this has always been your baby and I don't think anybody else would pick up the request and code it. So I though asking you directly would be the best way ;)

FIXED I added a 0 setup, but one can set any other value instantly just by typing the number  as needed (no drop box needed) ...
Great. I've just tested it and it's good.

Good point, what about the dark wake ? ; please guys make a a list of new flag features and I'll add them ;)
ADDED UseKernelCache and dark wake options
Good job - just checked it. One thing I noticed is that clicking the UseKernelCache word will add the boot option. However, clicking the UseKernelCache checkbox doesn't?
For a full list of recent additions/chages it's probably easier if I point you here. (Sorry if that's lazy).

Once you understand the design, you usually love it: in fact unchecking won't add any flag in the plist at all but still keep the previous setup so that if you check it again (i.e. because you were not sure) you still have these options...
EDIT: FIXED :)
The debug option now works as I would expect. Good job again.

+1, please add this to the forge site ; it's also a new feature request.
Like I said above, I could add the request at the forge, but this way I'm cutting out the middle man and going straight to the main author.. (But of course I will raise an issue if you would still like me to). :P

these are for overrides, by default you should NOT use them, it is only in the case where you have different naming for these files, then you could setup them (i.e.: DSDT_Test.aml, smbios_beta.plist and so on)
Okay. Then how about changing the section of DSDT & SMBIOS section to something like 'DSDT & SMBIOS - Alternate Files' ?

I think for SMBIOS you get the window opened with your plist, if you don't see it is probably because you simply don't have any application associated to plist files.
Extract SMBIOS opens a window here in Xcode which is fine, but yes I think opening the directory would also be a good choice.
The 'Open smbios.plist' button still does nothing.. So is that only to open the 'alternate' SMBIOS file?
There was a problem with your smbios.plist not being in /Extra -> FIXED 

You're welcome.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 08:25:15 PM by rekursor »
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

rekursor

• VoodooLabs
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2011, 08:36:13 PM »
../..
Like I said above, I could add the request at the forge, but this way I'm cutting out the middle man and going straight to the main author.. (But of course I will raise an issue if you would still like me to). :P

Okay. Then how about changing the section of DSDT & SMBIOS section to something like 'DSDT & SMBIOS - Alternate Files' ?

Extract SMBIOS opens a window here in Xcode which is fine, but yes I think opening the directory would also be a good choice.
The 'Open smbios.plist' button still does nothing.. So is that only to open the 'alternate' SMBIOS file?
There was a problem with your smbios.plist not being in /Extra -> FIXED 

You're welcome.

Okay FIXED the UseKernelCacheConfig checkbox not useable (overlaid by another textfield)
the open smbios should also work now
I'll rename the dsdt smbios file functions as well as it makes sense to me ;)
Yeah you're my baby, I'll do a lot a things for my old chameleon pal, remember the booter days (1+ version per day ) ?  LOL  :lol:
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 08:37:49 PM by rekursor »

rekursor

• VoodooLabs
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2011, 10:49:45 PM »
Rev 444 available with new flags and also revision number in about

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2011, 12:09:45 AM »
Okay FIXED the UseKernelCacheConfig checkbox not useable (overlaid by another textfield)
the open smbios should also work now
I'll rename the dsdt smbios file functions as well as it makes sense to me ;)
All checked and working here so more items ticked off the list.

Yeah you're my baby, I'll do a lot a things for my old chameleon pal, remember the booter days (1+ version per day ) ?  LOL  :lol:
Yes, I remember. You had quite a following when you were deploying your builds during that rapid development stage. It was from those discussions that the forge was born! The scene seems a lot quieter at the moment, though maybe I'm just out of touch.

Rev 444 available with new flags and also revision number in about
I see you added the Keyboard layouts. And the version number is a useful addition to the about box.
Though blue on black for the credits? I find it hard to read but maybe it's just late and my eyes are tired.. LOL.
I also see you implemented renaming the boot partitions from the Startup Disk page/tab as per issue 11. That's a good feature.

You've made a lot of changes today and the last week. Good job Rek.
I'll test further when I get more spare time.  ;)

Regards.

rekursor

• VoodooLabs
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2011, 05:10:21 AM »
Thank you BlackOSX,
I made few other fixes and cosmetics changes, chameleon is about green ...:)

ErmaC

• Resident
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2011, 04:58:52 PM »
Amazing work rek!
I like it!
The translation are ok (Italian)

One question about the final "Icon" into the SystemPreference...
When I build the project and then I go to Debug folder I have the Alias with the right and nice Icon
but the final icon in SystemPreference result a Icon With a "?" is this correct?

See the screenshot

Fabio

ErmaC

• Resident
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2011, 05:11:03 PM »
I try edit it by myself...
but I have no idea if is the correct way.

Fabio

rekursor

• VoodooLabs
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2011, 02:59:46 AM »
There are 2 icons, what you see is expected and was my original design :)
I liked it that way because the control panel would display the same icon than the original mac's startup preference pane ...
In my original design, the chameleon only appears on the file manager ; where you can see the package having this icon.
But on the system preferences, the icon is different (again on purpose) and is defined by chameleon.tiff (as opposed to chameleon.icns).

Now it is true that you are the second person that mentioned about that 'wish' so if you want  we can change that, even if I loved the question mark one that made our custom machines to look closer to genuine ones but well  :)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 03:11:30 AM by rekursor »

rekursor

• VoodooLabs
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2011, 07:16:50 AM »
Okay I added more unit tests, made the KernelOptionsFlags class much more robust, changed the chameleon icon in the prefpane ;)
Please Have a look to 455 ...!