overdue-scratch

Author Topic: [Theme] Bootcamp/Apple Boot Menu  (Read 91247 times)

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
Re: [Theme] Bootcamp/Apple Boot Menu
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2011, 05:52:57 PM »
Since I have not installed Lion on a real Mac, I don't know if the linen background is visible throughout the boot when not using Chameleon.
On my iMac running 11A494a, the boot process shows the dark grey Apple logo on the light grey background with the 'spinner' as it does in Snow Leopard so no difference there.

After the spinner has stopped, I then see the dark grey Apple logo and the spinner disappear, only for the dark grey Apple logo to re-appear on the light grey background, before the screen then quickly fade/switching to the linen background with the embossed Apple logo.  Then depending on auto-login settings, I'll either see the Apple logo slide up and be shown the user accounts choices, or the Finder desktop will be displayed via a nice slick animation.
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

mnfesq

• Observer
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2011, 09:30:23 PM »
Thanks BlackOSX.  I think that pretty much answers the question about whether it's possible to have the linen background visible throughout the entire boot process. 

Micronics

• Entrant
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2011, 08:55:46 AM »
Looks cool, ill give it a try! Thx

Esquilax

• Entrant
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2011, 02:48:30 AM »
I installed this theme, and everything is stretched wide - devices, Apple boot logo, spinner, etc.  My monitor is 1920x1200, and theme.plist has both boot_height/width and screen_height/width at 1024x768.  All of the .png files look normal when viewed with Preview, except boot.png, which was narrowed in order to make it appear normal on a widescreen monitor (but still appears stretched wide).

How can I correct this?  Can I correct it all (including the spinner) by changing the resolution?  Since I'm guessing 1920x1200 is not a VESA resolution, I want to specify 1440x900.  Do I put that in com.apple.Boot.plist, or theme.plist, or both?  If the latter (or both), do I need to change both boot_height/width and screen_height/width, or just the latter?  And do I need to change the dimensions of background.png to match?  (It's 400x300 ATM, but it's just solid grey, nothing to appear distorted.)

Edited to add: Never mind, my system can't do 1440x900 or any other VESA widescreen resolutions.  No undistorted spinner for me.  >:(
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 03:21:59 AM by Esquilax »

Enzo

• Resident
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2011, 04:00:38 AM »
@Esquilax

1920x1200 can be VESA, depends on whether your card supports it or not. If not, yeah, you'll have to specify something lower that's still 16x10 or squish the files, so when they are stretched they show up looking normal during boot. Assuming you're running a recent (RC5ish+), all you'll have to do is specify the res in the com.apple.boot.plist/org.cham.boot.plist. These versions of Cham use that to override whatever is listed in the theme.plist. The background.png will have to be adapted, this may mean squishing it down or getting something at different res. However, I don't think this theme in particular has a background.png?

Esquilax

• Entrant
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2011, 03:10:16 AM »
The background.png is just a field of solid grey, no actual image with detail.  Since it looks like the entire screen is filled, I guess there's no point in messing with it, unless it is somehow dictating the resolution of the boot screens.

I did a test and fiddled with the sizes of a couple of the png files (boot.png and device_hfsplus.png).  All I changed was the width.  The drive image narrowed.  However, after I selected the drive, both the Apple logo and the spinner were still stretched wide.  Is that Apple logo not the same as boot.png?  Or is it drawn by the kernel, like the spinner?  I tried twice, the second time choosing a width that should have made it too narrow, and it was still wide.

There's a program called bootxchanger that can replace the Apple boot logo with another image (this is on a real Mac), but it doesn't work for all Macs.  I wonder if that's what is happening here...?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 03:14:00 AM by Esquilax »

Enzo

• Resident
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2011, 03:35:09 AM »
The image shown during boot (when the spinning image is going) is boot.png (Chameleon inserts it). However, it sounds like maybe you have legacylogo=yes (IIRC). Enabling that setting in the boot.plist will override anything the theme specifies. The point of it is to have something more vanilla.

Esquilax

• Entrant
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2011, 07:19:36 AM »
That was it!  I didn't even know it was there.  Thanks!

Edited to add:  Here's my contribution, for anyone who wants RAID.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 09:54:43 AM by Esquilax »

Djordjeski

• Entrant
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2011, 12:25:43 AM »
Looks cool ... Thanks.

Esquilax

• Entrant
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2011, 10:05:39 AM »
I created my own device_selection.png.  The rounded corners on the original weren't perfectly circular, and the thicknesses of the rounded corners and the circle at the bottom weren't consistent, so I made one that is cleaner.  I made the circle a bit smaller with the intention of allowing for a slightly larger font for the device names, but since we can't specify the position of the device names, I don't know if the extra room will be of any use.  I'm experimenting with increasing the distance from the row of red dots to the fonts, seeing if doing that will affect the position of the device names.

Edited to add: I tried adjusting the font.  Because of the increased room in my version of device_selection.png, I stretched the font vertically by a couple of pixels.  I also moved the fonts one pixel down, away from the red dots.  This seemed to affect its position when displayed on screen, but I didn't make certain of that.  Regardless, the font is well-centered when used with my device_selection.png.

While I was at it, I also fixed the tracking of the fonts.  With the original, some fonts had space to the left, some to the right, and some had both, and the amount of space also varied 1-2 pixels.  I rearranged all the fonts and red dots so that every character has one pixel of space to the left only.  Text should look more evenly spaced now.  I also made a little bit of an effort to darken parts of the font where I felt anti-aliasing made things worse instead of better, but then I got lazy and didn't do everything I wanted to do.

Apologies if the font looks narrow; I have a widescreen monitor and a video card that doesn't do VESA widescreen resolutions, and unlike with the device icons, I didn't try to make a "regular" version first.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 08:49:39 PM by Esquilax »

8mr_et8

• Entrant
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2012, 10:02:53 PM »
Thanks great theme, ive made a few changes so that i could get it to look right for 1920x1080, so ill put the theme below if anyone would like it.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 03:34:19 PM by 8mr_et8 »

Edison

• Entrant
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2012, 01:02:07 PM »
Nice theme.

ernestong

• Entrant
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2012, 01:03:07 AM »
thank

jxelvin

• Entrant
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2012, 06:07:42 AM »
Thanks great theme, ive made a few changes so that i could get it to look right for 1920x1080, so ill put the theme below if anyone would like it.

Thanks!