overdue-scratch

Author Topic: ALPS working trackpad in Snow Leopard  (Read 52607 times)

gumblecosby

• Entrant
Re: ALPS debugging info (posible solution)
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 02:19:47 AM »
Tested the new kext on vostro 1400 alps glidepad. Scrolling is no longer enabled. The kext is no longer loaded in kextstat.
My trackpad must be one of the other 2 instances of this trackpad. Is it possible or difficult to create kexts for the other 2 instances of this trackpad.

Your previous kext worked well (I using it now :) ) for me when the system did not panic during the boot up

What version number is your alps glidepoint? I think mine is 1.016 or something like that.

slashack

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009, 02:24:01 AM »
don't load VoodooPS2Mouse, just use Keyboard and Trackpad kexts.

Try unloading them manualy
Code: [Select]
kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/VoodooPS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/VoodooPS2Mouse.kext
kextload /System/Library/Extensions/VoodooPS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext

djkinetic

• Observer
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2009, 03:52:43 AM »
ill test the new kext out in a few, hmm for some reason when i try to extract the uploaded zip i get a 0 byte kext file with nothin in it, could you please reupload the file thanks slash
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 04:17:06 AM by djkinetic »

gumblecosby

• Entrant
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2009, 04:21:46 AM »
I only just noticed that now when looking for the info.plist . Doh!

slashack

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2009, 05:02:34 AM »
sorry, here it is.

gumblecosby

• Entrant
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2009, 06:08:18 AM »
Its working well here. I rebooted 3 times and not one KP. Once again, thank you very much

djkinetic

• Observer
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2009, 07:02:25 AM »
scrolling is working well, trackpad is responding however tracking does pause briefly when makin minute movements, other than that awesome job slash =)

iamkalabaw

• Entrant
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2009, 01:31:11 PM »
Scrolling works but tapping does not. Is this a trade-off? Or did  I miss something?

iamkalabaw

• Entrant
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2009, 04:49:37 PM »
Figured it out. Had to enable Clicking and Dragging under Trackpad prefence pane. Scrolling works real good. However, tracking is a wee bit sputtery.

slashack

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2009, 07:18:57 PM »
I don't understand what you're trying to say. If you can explain me, i'll fix it. The source is really easy to change. Just keep in mind that this trackpad works in an absolute mode, so we can do almost anything. Every time you touch the pad, the X and Y coordinates are sent. What this driver does, is calculate the difference between the last coordinates and send a movement command so the pointer moves. If this coordinates are between some range, then it calculates the difference and sends a scrolling command.

This calculations can be modified so it does whatever we want (i even modified it in order to get circular scrolling like some netbooks)

Just tell me what's weird, or just working bad, and i'll fix it.

andro

• Entrant
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2009, 11:36:55 PM »
kext loads okay on Vostro 1510, 10.5.6 retail. No KP (VoodooPS2Controller w/o VoodooPS2Trackpad never gave me any KP either).
however, no preference pane for Trackpad shows up and I assume that it's because Apple modified the Info.plist in Trackpad.prefPane to look only for certain hardware. How did you guys get it to work? I'm curious to see how well this kext performs :). suggestions?

iamkalabaw

• Entrant
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2009, 11:06:13 AM »
slashhack,

First, thanks for the effort man. You did a real good job. I think djkinetic and I have the same observation when he said

Code: [Select]
...however tracking does pause briefly when makin minute movements
tracking feels a little bit off in my observation. I cannot pinpoint exactly what it is but tracking does not feel as smooth as it should be.

djkinetic

• Observer
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2009, 09:39:38 PM »
Basically what i'm trying to say is that, when you need to move the pointer a small distance there's sometimes a pause where the cursor won't move, and so you need to lift your finger and try the motion again to get the cursor to move. It only happens when trying to move the pointer a very small distance. Or if you have to make a small adjustment with lets say a slider, pointer will pause and not move. Other than that the kext works great. I'm not sure if its because of any modfications or if thats just how the code was written by the voodoo team. If we could get that sorted out it be great.

slashack

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2009, 08:34:10 PM »
Resolution was set to 100 dpi, so i multiplied relative distances by 0.2, in order to decrease pointer speed (was too fast). The problem was that when trackpad moved 1 position, that multiplication leaved a 0, so the pointer in screen didn't moved. I changed resolution to 500 dpi. That made the 0.2 multiplication useless. Now when the trackpad moves 1 position, the pointer moves 1 dot = 1/500 inches.

Does it works right now?

djkinetic

• Observer
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2009, 02:59:56 AM »
Resolution was set to 100 dpi, so i multiplied relative distances by 0.2, in order to decrease pointer speed (was too fast). The problem was that when trackpad moved 1 position, that multiplication leaved a 0, so the pointer in screen didn't moved. I changed resolution to 500 dpi. That made the 0.2 multiplication useless. Now when the trackpad moves 1 position, the pointer moves 1 dot = 1/500 inches.

Does it works right now?

Thank you very much slash works much better. Trackpad is alot smoother.