Author Topic: ALPS working trackpad in Snow Leopard  (Read 52553 times)

slashack

Re: ALPS debugging info (posible solution)
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2009, 03:17:34 AM »
I don't remember how this trackpad works in windows or linux. I don't have such option, so if something is weird, just tell me, is really easy, and i can practically make any changes on this source.

iamkalabaw

• Entrant
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2009, 05:06:06 PM »
slash,

I tried the new kext and I think it works perfect. Awesome job man. Thanks.

kirbysayshi

• Entrant
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2009, 06:57:42 AM »
slashack,

I have a Dell D630, which I believe has an ALPS trackpad. When I use either your kext or the "stock" voodoo trackpad kext, the mouse tab disappears from the keyboard & mouse pref pane, there is NO trackpad pref pane, and the VoodooPS2 pref pane, when clicked, gives me an "ApplePS2SynapticsTouchPad not found error".

Looking in the console and searching for PS2, there are a bunch of ApplePS2ALPSGlidePoint: Dictionary Object: some value. Just before that is ApplePS2Trackpad: ALPS GlidePoint v8.99. Just before that is VoodooPS2SynapticsTouchPad loaded. And before that is ApplePS2Controller: Timed out on mouse input stream.

Does this help at all? The trackpad is working, but only has a hyper-sensitive, zero-modification mouse. Perhaps there is a conflict? 

slashack

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2009, 02:21:06 PM »
I will try and make and effort to find some way of having a trackpad or mouse preference pane.

By the way, does any of you have working tapping with this driver being loaded on boot? I have to unload and load the kext again in order to get tapping.

andro

• Entrant
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2009, 05:58:55 PM »
occasionally tapping is working upon boot, but most of the time I have to reload the kext to get it working.

Any chance of getting seeing the modifications you've made to the source? there are a few tweaks I'd like to put in to make it perfect :-).

And, thank you for making my hackintosh experience so much better :-).

iamkalabaw

• Entrant
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2009, 03:14:32 AM »
tapping works 100% of the time upon boot.

steren

• Entrant
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2009, 05:59:30 AM »
By the way, does any of you have working tapping with this driver being loaded on boot? I have to unload and load the kext again in order to get tapping.

Same here, is the only thing im missing for having a fully working trackpad, any ideas?

slashack

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2009, 04:39:08 PM »
Information from ps2 controller comes un 6 byte packets [0-5]. The bit 0 from packet 2, means "the trackpad has been tapped", bit 1 means "the trackpad is being pressed". Well, the logical step is to convert bit 0 to a button event. That's what i've done. But the problem is, whenever system starts, this information doesn't reach the driver. Somewhere in the controller or in the hardware, one bit is being lost.

Maybe some initialization that fails? I'll check it out later.

steren

• Entrant
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2009, 05:55:48 AM »
Im using it in a new intallation and is sendig a lot of debug data to the system log, is filling with messages like this:

kernel[0]: Sending event: 0,1,1
kernel[0]: Absolute packet: x: 582, y: 529, xpos: 582, ypos: 529, buttons: 1, z: 82, zpos: 0

« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 04:18:15 PM by steren »

Kabyl

• VoodooLabs
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2009, 07:49:12 AM »
slashack, steren, please read our Contributing Guidelines.

freeburma

• Entrant
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2009, 05:55:45 AM »
Slashack, your ALPS driver has made it's way to the 'driver pack' on a popular forum were a fairly large number of people have adopted it as the trackpad driver of choice.  I know this goes against the efforts here to keep some control of the code and limit (or eliminate) forks.  That said, as some large number of people are using it (including me) and having good success I'm asking if you could post a version with the debug output turned off (the x-y position stuff).

I think that as the cat is out of the bag, so to speak, that it would not cause any harm to put out a version that can be used without the large amount of debug I/O until the *official* version is updated. 

Kabyi, please don't jump on slashack for this request, if you feel the need, jump on me for making the request after having read you comment here and your guidelines.  The reality is, a fair few people are using this and all that debug I/O is a drag.  I really do understand and agree with your efforts to maintain reasonable version control.

slashack

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2009, 06:02:50 AM »
I know this is a mess. But i've made this changes to this driver some time ago. I want to make a patch to make the driver work with the real voodoops2controller. It's been in my todo list for almost a month. Currently i'm out of time. I believe in two weeks i could do it.

Regarding the debug output. I didn't knew it was there, cause i've made some research and the one i'm using doesn't print anything. I'll post the latest as soon as i get my notebook back (the kext is there).

freeburma

• Entrant
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2009, 06:17:34 AM »
Slashack, thanks!  The debug is going into the system log (/var/log/system.log).  You can watch the disk activity while using the track pad...  Mine was at 150MB when I noticed...  I can point you to the forum if you want to put in your $0.02 worth concerning the driver there, it really has been a hit, lots of people happy with the results.

Chrysaor

• Entrant
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2009, 10:10:51 AM »
Any news on the non-debug version?

slashack

« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2009, 10:32:48 PM »
I'm just waiting for Kabyl PM response. Patching is almost done.