overdue-scratch

Author Topic: Proper BSD Detection wCustom Icons  (Read 17608 times)

Methanoid

• Entrant
Re: Proper BSD Detection wCustom Icons
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 09:51:48 AM »
This is just what i was looking for as a way to repurpose using Chameleon to boot other OS's with custom graphics.

The real question for me is how does Chameleon detect a partition is OpenBSD or FreeBSD? By format or by presence of a specific file(s)? I just need a small partition to "pretend" to be OpenBSD and then I can customise the graphics and chain load my alt OS.

If someone can help I promise to post some pretty pics etc when I am done  :)

scorpius

• Observer
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 08:38:38 PM »
It looks for the magic number at the beginning of a partition to see what type it is. For an example, the i386/libsaio/befs.c file shows how I added support for Haiku.

Methanoid

• Entrant
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 04:23:51 PM »
If asked nicely could you add support for type &76 (Amiga) for Amithlon and AROS?  ;)   :)

scorpius

• Observer
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 07:57:19 PM »
I took a quick look at AROS (via a virtual machine) but couldn't find a way to install it to a single partition -- the installer kept failing. So I'm not able to help that much. However, if you can find the disk signature in the Amiga FFS partition, then that would be a good start.

Tim S

• Entrant
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2012, 07:54:47 PM »
Any chance for FreeDOS detection/icon?

Some of us multi-boot people use a FAT32 partition as a universal data partition.  But it's easy to throw FreeDOS on that partition.

I can get to it via Chameleon --> Linux --> GRUB2 Menu --> FreeDOS

But it would be great to access it directly from the Chameleon screen.