Author Topic: Speeding up boot time before Chameleon starts  (Read 3220 times)

blast9999

• Observer
Speeding up boot time before Chameleon starts
« on: April 26, 2009, 03:42:06 AM »
I was looking at trying to shorten the time it takes to reboot and start Chameleon for another OS.
I have a Gigabyte P35-DS4 mobo and the manual shows this option for the hard drives.
Is there a way for it to detect the hard drives without wasting time using the auto detect?
I have 3 SATA hdd and a SATA dvd. The W7/Ubuntu hdd is plugged into the Gigabyte hdd controller (IDE mode).
This is from the manual:

BIOS Setup
DE Channel 0/1 Master/Slave
IDE HDD Auto-Detection
Press <Enter> to autodetect the parameters of the IDE/SATA device on this channel.
IDE Channel 0/1 Master/Slave
Configure your IDE/SATA devices by using one of the three methods below:

•  Auto Lets BIOS automatically detect IDE/SATA devices during the POST. (Default)
•  None If no IDE/SATA devices are used, set this item to None so the system will
skip the detection of the device during the POST for faster system startup.
•  Manual Allows you to manually enter the specifications of the hard drive when the
hard drive access mode is set to CHS.
Access Mode Sets the hard drive access mode. Options are: Auto (default), CHS, LBA, Large.
IDE Channel 2, 3 Master, IDE Channel 4/5 Master/Slave
IDE Auto-Detection
Press <Enter> to autodetect the parameters of the IDE/SATA device on this channel.
Extended IDE Drive    Configure your IDE/SATA devices using one of the two
methods below:
•  Auto Lets BIOS automatically detect IDE/SATA devices during the POST. (Default)
•  None If no IDE/SATA devices are used, set this item to None so the system will
skipthe detection of the device during the POST for faster system startup.
Access Mode Sets the hard drive access mode. Options are: Auto (default), Large.
The following fields display your hard drive specifications. If you wish to enter the parameters
manually, refer to the information on the hard drive.
Capacity Approximate capacity of the currently installed hard drive.
Cylinder Number of cylinders.
Head Number of heads.
Precomp Write precompensation cylinder.
Landing Zone Landing zone.
Sector Number of sectors.

Superhai

• VoodooLabs
Re: Speeding up boot time before Chameleon starts
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 04:20:01 AM »
I don't think this belongs to this forum, it is directly related to bios and a forum related to the m/b or bioses would be a better option. On the other hand, I have also a GBT board and it is very slow because of the old intel detection routine in the bios.

blast9999

• Observer
Re: Speeding up boot time before Chameleon starts
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 04:44:10 AM »
I want Chameleon quicker. Have you tried any option besides auto?
EDIT: It looks like AHCI does its own detecting of the hdd, without any options like in IDE mode.
Using AHCI mode makes the above settings unavailable.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 03:07:21 PM by blast9999 »