overdue-scratch

Author Topic: Documentation  (Read 7642 times)

PM974

• Entrant
Documentation
« on: April 07, 2009, 04:30:24 PM »
My opinion is that such a good software needs documentation for everyone to be able to answer by himself every questions about it.

Forum aren't time-proof. Knowledge needs to be writen (and printed) to be fixed. This way future users can start with a strong knowledge base they can refer to in order to understand present issues. (And no-body will anymore need to read thousand of posts to be up-to-date).

This is in my opinion the main improvement that can be done and the real "time to grow-up".

With users from the french part of insanelymac forum, we started a french-documentation about osx86. French community not that big but with a few of us we have been able to make a good start. (I can PM the link as i don't know if i'm allowed to post it here).
I think if english community started organising knowledge this can be done a thouthand times better !

Terc

• Forum Moderator
Re: Documentation
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 11:44:37 PM »
I think they're working on it if I read correctly in IRC.  If you've got any questions, you'll find me on their IRC channel an I'd be glad to help out.  I may try to get some unofficial documentation to go along with my USB boot project to help people get started after they're up and running with my (upcoming) tutorial.

sckevyn

• VoodooLabs
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 07:12:02 AM »
My opinion is that such a good software needs documentation for everyone to be able to answer by himself every questions about it.

Forum aren't time-proof. Knowledge needs to be writen (and printed) to be fixed. This way future users can start with a strong knowledge base they can refer to in order to understand present issues. (And no-body will anymore need to read thousand of posts to be up-to-date).

This is in my opinion the main improvement that can be done and the real "time to grow-up".

With users from the french part of insanelymac forum, we started a french-documentation about osx86. French community not that big but with a few of us we have been able to make a good start. (I can PM the link as i don't know if i'm allowed to post it here).
I think if english community started organising knowledge this can be done a thouthand times better !

Docs are forthcoming for the final release. Please keep in mind, what your using what you've downloaded isn't complete. It has bugs, we know this. It has missing docs, we know this... it has been released so that people can get their hands on it and test it out... If you're having issues with an install ask around on the forum or the irc channels for ideas or a workaround, if not maybe you might want to wait until the final release which will include docs =)

sckevyn

PM974

• Entrant
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 01:27:24 PM »
Thank's i know what a RC is ;) and i'm glad you're working on it for Chameleonv2.

What i was talking about in a second time - i'm sorry it was not clear - is a documentation about the hole osx86 project. It would be a great step for the community and my post was just about throwing the idea.

Thank's for the good work,
PM!

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 02:29:08 AM »
PM974: I totally agree with your view on Documenting things (especially sw like chameleon, that takes a small project to a flip-out new level).

However I'm sure you know that documentation is as much of a hard + dirty job as development. I also bet you know how bad things go when a place like insanely ends up unmoderated + out of control. Won't even comment on certain charming folks of teh internets who don't take a minute to read a few lines above their own post.

Right now (at least in this forum) we're trying to keep things clean+tidy so that the dev team can focus on development without worrying about trolls + their tribulations. I think that a decent documentation for Chameleon is totally doable. I'd also like to see decent documentation about the whole osx86 project but that sounds really hard and kind of a completely different game.

[Since the OP talks about documenting the whole osx86 project this would better be in General Discussion ?]
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 02:33:02 AM by rocksteady »
Stop bitching, start coding or documenting or both..

P5Q-EM : Q6600 : 8GB RAM : 8800GT : SATA Drives

SkipG

• Entrant
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 06:28:11 AM »
First off, I've got to say this is one fine piece of work, and thank you for providing it.

As a N00b to the Chameleon bootloader, I read the documentation and made a few mistakes before finally figuring out how to do it. Fixing the two points of confusion should be straight forward.

1) The com.apple.Boot.plist file is sometimes (often?) referred to as "Boot.plist." A statement that the shorter name is an abbreviation would be nice.

2) There are several keys, such as GUI, that take values of Yes or No. I mistakenly set the value to Boolean in the Property List Editor, and it didn't work. In the case of GUI, it wasn't a deal breaker; the results when I first added GraphicsEnabler (as a Boolean) were rather difficult to recover from.

--Skip