overdue-scratch

Author Topic: USB Driver  (Read 2623 times)

Krazubu

• Entrant
USB Driver
« on: April 29, 2009, 08:03:48 PM »
Currently darwin/chameleon forces you to enable legacy mode to have a working USB keyboard and accessible USB disks.
This legacy mode is known to give troubles and it's better to have it desactivated, but it's currently not possible since you lose the control until the GUI is reached.

Terc

• Forum Moderator
Re: USB Driver
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 06:40:03 AM »
I've been using USB Keyboard Support [Enabled] in my Gigabyte bios for a long time, and have had no issues.

Maybe I'm confused about what you're enabling, and I know that I would like to hear what issues it causes.

Krazubu

• Entrant
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 01:09:14 PM »
USB Keyboard Support [Enabled] = USB Legacy mode
Low-performances-backward-compatibility-mode-not-mac-friendly in other words

Terc

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 12:05:12 AM »
Can you link me someplace that talks about how this bios option affects OSX?  I wasn't aware there was an impact other than allowing USB devices to function before OSX boot.  I've not noticed any speed impact, but I don't use USB drives too often.  I do have a 16GB flash drive that works at 33MB/s (peak sequential speed, tested with xbench) and an EyeTV device, but those are the only things I ever use that would be impacted by speed.  The rest is keyboard, mouse, IR, a scroll wheel, and other random stuff.

Just to be clear, I don't doubt you.  It's just that this is news to me, and I'd like to learn more.

Oh, just happened to think.  You're not confusing this with Hi-Speed/Full-Speed setting are you?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 12:12:10 AM by Terc »