Author Topic: Boot with RAID mode  (Read 3924 times)

skydrone

• Observer
Boot with RAID mode
« on: May 05, 2009, 11:28:19 PM »
When I set up my ICH Raid Controller to RAID instead of AHCI mode, Chameleon can't boot.

Cheers!

Terc

• Forum Moderator
Re: Boot with RAID mode
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 10:32:00 PM »
Simple fix: Don't use RAID mode, switch to AHCI.  You don't need to enable it to use OSX, Linux, or even Solaris software raid.
If you're using software RAID for Windows.... did raid mode work with previous Chameleon versions, or any osx bootloaders?

skydrone

• Observer
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 01:48:26 AM »
Yes, I'm using Raid for booting windows 7. So everytime I swap OS, I need to get in the BIOS and change back to AHCI.

Just like other OS10 bootloaders, but would be nice to get this feature, if possible.

Terc

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 01:54:56 AM »
May I recommend a raid card?  Support for RAID mode is deeper than the boot loader.  Much, MUCH deeper.  RocketRAID offers some decent raid cards compatible with both osx and windows (and linux as well)

I've been a big advocate of RAID for a while, It's just beyond me why people wouldn't be willing to spend the extra $60 to be sure that they don't lose all of their family photos or have to re-install just because the most common failure point in current PCs failed.

Anyhow, try http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816115060
It's compatible with Windows 7 and OSX (btw, why can't Microsoft do their own software RAID?  Every other major OS does these days).  If you're looking for more internal ports, you may need to spend more.

fxtentacle

• Entrant
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 10:06:58 AM »
i second that.
i use a rocketraid pci-e card to dual-boot vista and os x and it works just fine with the latest chameleon

skydrone

• Observer
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 12:20:26 AM »
Got this card:

Adaptec AAR-2610SA 6 Port 64MB
Will this fit my dual boot needs? Does it support OSX?

Cheers!