overdue-scratch

Author Topic: boot OSX86 from USB HDD  (Read 5254 times)

Martynet

• Entrant
boot OSX86 from USB HDD
« on: May 06, 2009, 01:50:53 PM »
Hi everybody,

I just would like to ask what exactly I can use Chameleon for and if it help my situation which is:

I have a notebook FS Amilo Xi1554 with VIA VT6421 SATA chipset, which I can't use for any OSX86, because disk utility won't recognize any HDD. After years of trying and searching, I read somewhere, that the only solution form me is to take out DVD drive and use that connector for another HDD, which will be visible in OSX disk utility. But I really wouldn't like to do that so I'm searching more and more. Anyway, I managed to install OSX86 on external usb HDD, cos disk utility recognize any HDD connected to USB or FIREWARE. BUT, even my laptop is able to boot from usb devices and I tried it with linux..etc. It won't boot installed OSX form USB :-(
So, my question is, will Chameleon help to boot from external USB with OSX86 installed on my pc?
If yes, How should I use it or install it?

Thanks for any help

Terc

• Forum Moderator
Re: boot OSX86 from USB HDD
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 05:02:41 PM »
did you set the boot-uuid=UuidOfYourUsbDriveHere in your com.apple.Boot.plist?

Martynet

• Entrant
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 10:11:58 AM »
I have no idea what you are talking about :-) Explain please...

Terc

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 03:35:10 PM »
Ok, I'm assuming that you have already installed OSX onto your USB drive and installed chameleon bootloader on it too.  (If you have not installed OSX onto the drive yet, and added the Chameleon bootloader, do so first)

Now that you're done with that step, you'll need to do one more modification.  Copy the file /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist into the /Extra folder that the Chameleon installer created. (So, you should have a copy of your com.apple.Boot.plist at /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist).  Open Disk Utility and right click on your USB PARTITION (selecting the device itself will not work) in the left pane.  Select Information from the list and copy the Universal Unique Identifier string.

Now open that com.apple.Boot.plist file we just moved to your /Extra folder, and add

Code: [Select]
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>boot-uuid=09440079-9F3C-3B4F-9E91-B820B25429F1</string>

REMEMBER, you need to replace my string (09440079-9F3C-3B4F-9E91-B820B25429F1) with whatever your USB partition's uuid string is.

Once you're done with that, you should be all set.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 03:38:18 PM by Terc »

Martynet

• Entrant
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 11:16:28 PM »
OK... that sounds much better... nearly there :-) Just few more questions...
I'll install OSX86 to USB HDD on my pc and that I have to plug that USB HDD to original apple computer and install chameleon? I'm asking because chameleon I downloaded doesn't look like pc installer, but mac package...
If yes, it shouldn't be a problem, cos I have mac at work...
And one more question... which OSX86 would you reccomend for my notebook? iatkos, ipc, ideneb, kallyway, leo4all...etc etc... There is so many and it's hard to decide :-(

Thank you for all your help... You are my really first big help I got after two years of trying... thanx
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 11:26:11 PM by Martynet »

Terc

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 05:41:01 AM »
Yeah, that installer is meant to be used from a mac.  You could use a real mac (BE CAREFUL NOT TO INSTALL CHAMELEON ONTO YOUR MAC, JUST TO THE USB DRIVE)
I use a boot132 iso to boot the installation, then install chameleon, but that might not work with a usb install

I always recommend using retail.  That way you'll know what changes you need to get it working.  Just much better off in the long run IMHO.  If you want to use a pre-hacked install, you'll need to ask around.  I haven't messed with them since 10.5.2, and that was only for a quick attempt before buying the retail dvd.