Author Topic: smbios.plist documentation and uuid injection?  (Read 21804 times)

thorazine74

smbios.plist documentation and uuid injection?
« on: May 07, 2009, 04:25:56 PM »
Request for some doc that states what smbios values can be used apart from the ones already on the sample  smbios.plist.
Related to this is the posibility to inject the uuid value to avoid the common uuid error 35 when booting without a working network card.
Mac OS X 10.5.6 Retail (Updated to 10.5.7) with Chameleon 2.0 RC1+BootIt NextGen 1.86 (MBR Single Drive)
Gigabyte 73PVM-S2H + C2D + 2 Gb
2 SATA HD (AppleAHCIport.kext) + 1 PATA DVD+RW (DarwinATAPort.kext)
Realtek ALC889 (VoodooHDA.kext)
Geforce 8600GTS (EFI String) PS/2 M & KB: VoodooPS2.kext

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
Re: smbios.plist documentation and uuid injection?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 04:50:56 PM »
There's a lot of info scattered around mackerintel's thread: Chameleon with SMBIOS patching

There's also the System Management BIOS (SMBIOS) Specification pdf @ DTMF.

Just got into demystifying smbios myself, if anyone else has any more links, please post 'em here
Stop bitching, start coding or documenting or both..

P5Q-EM : Q6600 : 8GB RAM : 8800GT : SATA Drives

savestheday

• Observer
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 07:45:25 PM »
Request for some doc that states what smbios values can be used apart from the ones already on the sample  smbios.plist.
Related to this is the posibility to inject the uuid value to avoid the common uuid error 35 when booting without a working network card.

Look up UUID.kext.zip on Google, should be your first hit.  This fixed all of my UUID 35 errors....

thorazine74

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 06:17:41 PM »
There's a lot of info scattered around mackerintel's thread: Chameleon with SMBIOS patching

There's also the System Management BIOS (SMBIOS) Specification pdf @ DTMF.

Just got into demystifying smbios myself, if anyone else has any more links, please post 'em here

Thanks for the pointer!
It turns out (post #55 of that thread) SMUUID is already included in Chameleon SMBIOS patching, I'll try to include that in my smbios.plist and see what happens, anyone knows if the UUID value needs to be anything specific matching other vales? Or just something random like this will do?

Code: [Select]
<key>SMUUID</key>
<string>9CFE245E-D0C8-BD45-A79F-54EA5FBD3D97</string>

Just to clear this up - Chameleon 2.0 does not support the SMUUID key in smbios.plist.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 07:18:21 PM by Gringo Vermelho »
Mac OS X 10.5.6 Retail (Updated to 10.5.7) with Chameleon 2.0 RC1+BootIt NextGen 1.86 (MBR Single Drive)

thorazine74

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 06:19:33 PM »
Look up UUID.kext.zip on Google, should be your first hit.  This fixed all of my UUID 35 errors....

I know of the posible fixes thanks!
If chameleon can do smbios injecting it would be better doing just with it that adding just another kext dont you think? ;)

Superhai

• VoodooLabs
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 12:01:07 AM »
Or just something random like this will do?
Code: [Select]
<key>SMUUID</key>
<string>9CFE245E-D0C8-BD45-A79F-54EA5FBD3D97</string>

On a real mac it first created if it is not found in nvram, and it is created by configd. The format used is 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0000000000 where the last part is replaced with the MAC of the first built-in network adapter. It is then stored to nvram, so next time it is picked up by the nvram kext. You should ensure it is unique as it is used by a few apps like, itunes, time machine and others which uses preferences. You will see if you change it that you will be asked for time machine information. I haven't seen any app that requires a specific format for the uuid, so I believe any numbers will do.

thorazine74

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 12:05:29 PM »
I have tried injecting a suitable UUID with smbios.list (following the format suggested based on my NIC MAC address) and it didnt work as expected, I still get the same kind of "_CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35" errors when booting.
So if I understand it correctly its not posible to integrate superhai's SMBIOS' kext UUID injecting (the one that fixes those error 35 errors) into Chameleon's 2 smbios override?

Kabyl

• VoodooLabs
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 07:24:38 PM »
I have tried injecting a suitable UUID with smbios.list (following the format suggested based on my NIC MAC address) and it didnt work as expected, I still get the same kind of "_CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35" errors when booting.
So if I understand it correctly its not posible to integrate superhai's SMBIOS' kext UUID injecting (the one that fixes those error 35 errors) into Chameleon's 2 smbios override?
I replied to you concerning this on the other UUID-related thread.

tempolo

• My own Hackintosh page
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 10:24:32 AM »
I replied to you concerning this on the other UUID-related thread.
Where is that? I only found http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,250.msg845
And there neither your nor thorazine's name appears

^ The other thread got cleaned up, to stay on topic. There was duplicate/misleading info across both posts

Uh, I just found Kabyl's reply there using the "show last posts" of his Profile page. Turns out the comments are really there - I just didn't find them because they were on the other page, and I looked at the wrong page, not realizing that the thread had multiple pages.
So, all's good.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 10:33:53 AM by tempolo »