Author Topic: Chameleon Installer options: NOT to install to MBR  (Read 7156 times)

thorazine74

Chameleon Installer options: NOT to install to MBR
« on: May 07, 2009, 05:19:23 PM »
The title says it all, I think it can be useful to add this option to chameleon installer:

- An option so the user can choose to install the boot0 state to the MBR or not, same as most linux distros do with  grub, to keep your mbr untouched.

Also an option to copy chain0 to XP partition and install the corresponding option in boot.ini would be nice but it would require NTFS write access if XP is not on FAT32.
Mac OS X 10.5.6 Retail (Updated to 10.5.7) with Chameleon 2.0 RC1+BootIt NextGen 1.86 (MBR Single Drive)
Gigabyte 73PVM-S2H + C2D + 2 Gb
2 SATA HD (AppleAHCIport.kext) + 1 PATA DVD+RW (DarwinATAPort.kext)
Realtek ALC889 (VoodooHDA.kext)
Geforce 8600GTS (EFI String) PS/2 M & KB: VoodooPS2.kext

neonkoala

• Entrant
Re: Chameleon Installer options: NOT to install to MBR
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 07:13:30 PM »
Or just do a manual install like the rest of us, not hard, only 3 steps, two without boot0.

thorazine74

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 06:02:10 PM »
I did the manual installation myself, no problems. Its not about requesting a feature I would want, but making the automated installer well-behaved.
In my opinion it should behave like Linux distros do with GRUB nowadays, installing to MBR by default BUT giving you the choice to install to partition bootsector only if thats what you want to.
It could be presented to the user in a more friendly way, something like:

Choice:
           A) Use Chameleon to multiboot all operating systems in your computer (Install to Hard Disk MBR).
           B) Use another boot manager to multiboot (Install only to OS X partition).
Mac OS X 10.5.6 Retail (Updated to 10.5.7) with Chameleon 2.0 RC1+BootIt NextGen 1.86 (MBR Single Drive)

tempolo

• My own Hackintosh page
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 11:35:40 AM »
Or just do a manual install like the rest of us, not hard, only 3 steps, two without boot0.
I am a long-time Mac programmer, but unfamiliar with PC boot loaders.
Can you direct me to some instructions that tell me how I could install chameleon (i.e. the "boot" file) onto a Windows partition, together with a boot loader that can load it?
E.g, is it possible to use the default windows boot loader and modify the boot.init so that it loads the chameleon loader?

thorazine74

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 12:49:03 PM »
http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Chain0
For Vista I think it can be done with EasyBCD 2.0 beta but I havent tried myself.