Chameleon > General Discussion

"Error loading operating system"?

<< < (3/3)

rcfa:

--- Quote from: rocksteady on May 12, 2009, 03:12:48 AM ---For disk cloning you may also try CCC, I'm using it @work for ages, never had a single glitch

--- End quote ---

I know about it, but isn't that more of a file system cloner than a disk cloner? i.e. it seems to be more or less what asr and ditto are doing, just with a nicer interface.

At this point, I'm a bit annoyed that the gpt tool Apple supplies doesn't seem to be half as functional as fdisk.
In fdisk I can modify the partition table at will, gpt doesn't let me do anything, except print the partition table.
diskutility lacks fine grained controll, and parted has it's own set of problems, like messing up flags.

Disk partitioning seems to be in a pretty sorry state, at least for GUID partitioned drives. I had to jump through hoops backwards to get what I wanted, which I now finally seem to have. (At least at a partition table level. That doesn't mean that XP will be booting yet, but it's a step forward...)

Ronald

rocksteady:
yeah all gui frontends rely on the built-in tools, just thought to suggest it to you

btw, asr can do some really slick things. If you start working with disk images give cCC a try. Keep it or toss it but it's not just a nice gui (actually it's ugly & ad-supported but it's free), the guy behind it knows what he's doing

as for editing GUID tables: it sucks big time at the moment  >:(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version