Chameleon > General Discussion

"Error loading operating system"?

<< < (2/3) > >>

rocksteady:
hi ronald,

--- Quote from: rcfa on May 10, 2009, 12:33:38 AM ---Thanks, that were exactly the lines I was looking for. I cd-ed into /usr/standalone/i386/ first, or do these commands magically know where to get the files from?
--- End quote ---
magic? what magic? 
always cd to the directory  ;)
btw, you can find the (manual) installation instructions in the doc folder:

--- Quote from: rcfa on May 10, 2009, 12:33:38 AM ---I wish Chameleon would do this when it's being (re)installed.
--- End quote ---
it does (if you uncheck the rest of the options):

--- Quote from: rcfa on May 10, 2009, 12:33:38 AM ---Is that a bug, oversight, or is there a good reason for that not being part of the Chameleon postinstall scripts?
--- End quote ---
i guess only the developers can answer that,
given its RC status, i find it pretty impressive anyway

--- Quote from: rcfa on May 10, 2009, 12:33:38 AM ---but since I'm working with a EeePC 1000HE netbook (although upgraded with a 500GB harddisk), more than one drive isn't an option, or else I lose precisely the portability that made me buy one of these in the first place.
--- End quote ---
ah i see,
did you try to go for MBR where XP would feel like home and OS X could be installed with a hacked retail dvd..?
can't help much with win-specific stuff as i don't (have to) use them myself

--- Quote from: rcfa on May 10, 2009, 12:33:38 AM ---If I want to schlepp stuff around, I could use my 15" MacBook Pro, and if/when I buy a new desktop, it's highly-likely going to be a Mac, too, for a whole bunch of reasons.
So the hackintosh approach is for my purposes interesting where Apple has no offerings. I may think of a Atom330/ION/4GB+ nettop setup once such a machine is available. Would be the ideal low-power home server....

--- End quote ---
nice style,
whatever works for someone, i find that having a real MacBook Pro + a netbook, is a complete waste of (my) time as nothing is more portable than my hacked ipod (if/when i want to go small)

truth is that osX86 has come a long way and it's a matter or swapping a couple cd/dvds, shuffle a few drivers around and in half an hour it runs on cheap hardware. then again when something becomes easy most people miss the fun part. i did a guide @ insanelymac and most people think that it'll turn their PCs into macs...

i started messing with osX86 about a month ago, just for kicks, to run x.5 on a cheap box that was lying around.
i administer a small army of macs @ work so i'm not looking for cheap frills. as you said, if you want a mac get a real one, otherwise just have fun with the hack :)

rcfa:

--- Quote from: rocksteady on May 10, 2009, 01:47:48 AM ---hi ronald,

--- Quote from: rcfa on May 10, 2009, 12:33:38 AM ---Thanks, that were exactly the lines I was looking for. I cd-ed into /usr/standalone/i386/ first, or do these commands magically know where to get the files from?
--- End quote ---
magic? what magic? 
always cd to the directory  ;)
btw, you can find the (manual) installation instructions in the doc folder:

--- End quote ---

I guess, I'll have to consult that again, I may have deleted anything but the installer package a while ago...

--- Quote from: rcfa on May 10, 2009, 12:33:38 AM ---

--- Quote from: rcfa on May 10, 2009, 12:33:38 AM ---I wish Chameleon would do this when it's being (re)installed.
--- End quote ---
it does (if you uncheck the rest of the options):

--- End quote ---

Hehe, that's just the inverse of what I had checked. I guess it worked so far, because initially I did the regular install, but then decided I want to keep the OS X partition as "vanilla" as possible, and moved towards using an HFS+ formatted EFI partition. So the first attempt must have written the proper boot blocks (which then in the sequence of messing with XP were overwritten).
Then reinstalling the EFI Chameleon install doesn't seem to write the boot blocks. Hence the confusion.
Now I'm wiser ;)

Anyway, I'll stick with GUID, since I use 99% MacOS, WinXP is basically only there, because
a) I have a license and no computer to run it on
b) my car's factory repair/maintenance manual is in eBahn format, thus only accessible from windows.
If I can't get dual boot to work eventually, I just will have to do with Parallels or VirtualBox (if they ever start supporting a native partition instead of a virtual drive).
There are some people who report success with getting XP to run in a Chameleon dual-boot setup, so I hope to eventually be one of them, too.

Time to continue hacking on the Windows stuff ;) Thanks for your help!

Ronald

distantstorm:
For backing up, try Clonezilla. It has support for backing up HFS+ and recognises GUID scheme (as well as all the usual Windows FAT, NTFS, MBR scheme etc) It's a bootable CD and not the prettiest UI but for folk happy messing with EFI commands etc it should be fairly straightforward. Remember and select the option that includes HFS when using it (-f2 i think). The only caveat is that currently it doesn't support WRITING the image to HFS formatted disks and will stop with an error. I have an NTFS formatted external drive that I keep all my backup images to so it's not been a problem for me.

I've successfully full disk cloned my OSX drive, including the EFI partition and restored it no problem and Chameleon was restored to EFI perfectly with all Kexts, Boot.plist intact. I haven't done it with a Hybrid scheme such as yours or tried just backing up EFI partition on it's own but I would suggest it as an option to try. I don't think it would do you any harm to have an image of your whole disk once it's working. But I'm a bit of an imaging addict when I get things working. Hangover from my Windows days.

steve

rcfa:
Yup, a disk image is in my future, first need to get another drive though. I may end up just using dd to dump the entire raw device into a file or a disk of the same size/type.
But I'll have a look at the program you mentioned. Thanks!

rocksteady:
For disk cloning you may also try CCC, I'm using it @work for ages, never had a single glitch

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version