Author Topic: Kext/com.apple.Boot.plist load order?  (Read 42960 times)

spudlyo

• Entrant
Kext/com.apple.Boot.plist load order?
« on: May 10, 2009, 06:42:42 PM »
So I'm a bit confused.  Let's say I have a com.apple.Boot.plist file in the following places, which one will Chameleon use, and what is the order of preference?

EFI partition
/Extras
/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

I guess nearly the same question could be asked of Kext files.  Will it look on the EFI partition first or in /Extras first?  I'd prefer Chameleon to load my Kexts, kernel, and .com.apple.Boot.plist files all from the EFI partition, but I'm not having a lot of luck making this happen.  The docs that come with Chameleon don't mention the EFI partition at all.

Any advice for me?

Thanks!

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
Re: Kext/com.apple.Boot.plist load order?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 04:38:15 AM »
Edit: Removed Munky's instructions about a previous version of the bootloader

Edit2: blue for files, red for folders/directories

...what is the order of preference?

munky's deprecation notice of his bootloader @ insanelymac:
- *** CHAMELEON 2 RC1 is out and looks pretty damned *amazing* - go check it out! It does everything this bootloader does and far more ***

hmm i'll try to explain as simply as possible:

There are 2 files (boot0 & boot1h) that get installed in places you wouldn't normally look at (MBR/bootsector)

The rest of Chameleon's files can be installed either in your Leopard partition or in the EFI partition of your HD (EFI partition is hidden and you'd have to manually mount it every time you want to make any changes to it):

• Chameleon's boot file gets installed in the root (/) of your Leopard partition or in the root (/) of your EFI partition.
  • The famous /Extra folder gets created in the root (/) of your Leopard partition or in the root (/) of your EFI partition.
  • Chameleon's com.apple.Boot.plist may reside inside the /Extra folder of your Leopard partition or in the /Extra folder of your EFI partition.
  • The *.kexts that you want Chameleon to load in order to stay vanilla, will reside inside the /Extra/Extensions folder of your Leopard partition or inside /Extra/Extensions folder of your EFI partition.
  • If you make a .mkext out of your KEXTs then this should be in /Extra.

All in all, you don't have to install something to the EFI partition & something else to your Leopard partition. Since you'd like to have everything in your EFI partition here's a visual reference from my setup:

[Edit: Removed live link to insanely mac thread]
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 08:57:03 AM by rocksteady »
Stop bitching, start coding or documenting or both..

P5Q-EM : Q6600 : 8GB RAM : 8800GT : SATA Drives

Gringo Vermelho

• Forum Moderator
  • The gray monster energy hat
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 11:52:19 PM »
So, com.apple.Boot.plist must be in the root of the EFI partition but your screenshot has it in /extra.
And extensions must be at the root of the EFI partition but again in your screenshot they are in a folder called "kextstore"..? I don't understand.

I'm guessing your screenshot shows the right way.

10.9.5 - ASUS P8Z77-V Pro - i5 3570K - GTX 660 - Chameleon 2.3 svn-r2xxx
How to...
Install Chameleon: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,649
Make your own Chameleon boot CD: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,484.msg2131.html#msg2131

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 01:58:59 AM »
Edit: blue for files, red for folders/directories.

I don't understand
Hmm never post when half asleep as they say. Thanks for spotting the inconsistencies Beerkexd, I strive for clarity  :)

So, com.apple.Boot.plist must be in the root of the EFI partition but your screenshot has it in /extra.
Munky's instructions state so about his version of the bootloader (now deprecated).

For Chameleon 2:
boot goes in /,
com.apple.Boot.plist goes in /Extra

And extensions must be at the root of the EFI partition but again in your screenshot they are in a folder called "kextstore"..?
No, not in /
If you make (kext cache) Extensions.mkext then this goes in /Extra
If you stay with regular .kexts (dsmos.kext, disabler.kext, etc) then these go in /Extra/Extensions

As for my custom-named KextStore folder, it's there to fit my setup. Most people would keep its name "Extensions".

I'm guessing your screenshot shows the right way.
yup, a bit customized to fit my needs.

here's 2 more screenshots illustrating the structure (not on a real EFI partition, I just made some folders):

Using kexts only:

Using Extensions.mkext:

« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 04:01:52 PM by rocksteady »

gmacman

• Observer
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 05:51:21 PM »
I'm still not completely clear on an answer to the original poster's question.

In which order does Chameleon load stuff?

For example if there are two kexts of the same name which one is loaded and when?   Suppose you have one original vanilla located in the s/l/e and one modified located in the /Extra/Extensions folder, does Chameleon load the one in /Extra/Extension prior to the vanilla one being loaded?  And suppose the modified one is of an older version, will OSX then reload the newer version even if the newer one is in s/l/e?

Sorry for the complexity of my query, but I have several modified kext which are the same name and same version number and I'm trying to figure out if the vanilla one is being loaded (incorrectly) or is the modified one.

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 06:45:30 PM »
For example if there are two kexts of the same name which one is loaded and when?   Suppose you have one original vanilla located in the s/l/e and one modified located in the /Extra/Extensions folder, does Chameleon load the one in /Extra/Extension prior to the vanilla one being loaded?
Yes. Chameleon always looks after its own children (kexts/files) before the stock/vanilla ones, that's the whole idea. Otherwise no hack would boot retail MacOS

And suppose the modified one is of an older version, will OSX then reload the newer version even if the newer one is in s/l/e?
Then something like this happens:
Code: [Select]
Dec 24 16:00:55 localhost kernel[0]: Skipping duplicate extension "com.apple.driver.AppleIntelPIIXATA" with older/same  version (2.0.0 -> 2.0.0).
Dec 24 16:00:55 localhost kernel[0]: Replacing extension "com.apple.iokit.IOUSBMassStorageClass" with newer version (2.0.4 -> 2.0.5).
Dec 24 16:00:56 localhost kernel[0]: Skipping duplicate extension "com.apple.driver.AppleGenericPCATA" with older/same  version (1.3 -> 1.3).
Dec 24 16:00:56 localhost kernel[0]: Skipping duplicate extension "com.apple.driver.AppleOnboardPCATA" with older/same  version (1.0.0d1 -> 1.0.0d1).
Dec 24 16:00:56 localhost kernel[0]: warning: skipping personalities in blacklisted kext com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement

« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 04:27:17 PM by rocksteady »

gmacman

• Observer
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 07:09:05 PM »
For example if there are two kexts of the same name which one is loaded and when?   Suppose you have one original vanilla located in the s/l/e and one modified located in the /Extra/Extensions folder, does Chameleon load the one in /Extra/Extension prior to the vanilla one being loaded?
Chameleon always looks after its own children (kexts/files) before the stock/vanilla ones, that's the whole idea. Otherwise no hack would boot retail MacOS

And suppose the modified one is of an older version, will OSX then reload the newer version even if the newer one is in s/l/e?
Then something like this happens:
Dec 24 16:00:55 localhost kernel[0]: Skipping duplicate extension "com.apple.driver.AppleIntelPIIXATA" with older/same  version (2.0.0 -> 2.0.0).
Dec 24 16:00:55 localhost kernel[0]: Replacing extension "com.apple.iokit.IOUSBMassStorageClass" with newer version (2.0.4 -> 2.0.5).
Dec 24 16:00:56 localhost kernel[0]: Skipping duplicate extension "com.apple.driver.AppleGenericPCATA" with older/same  version (1.3 -> 1.3).
Dec 24 16:00:56 localhost kernel[0]: Skipping duplicate extension "com.apple.driver.AppleOnboardPCATA" with older/same  version (1.0.0d1 -> 1.0.0d1).
Dec 24 16:00:56 localhost kernel[0]: warning: skipping personalities in blacklisted kext com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement

MANY thanks.  This is exactly the info I have been looking for.

Yes, I have those "Skipping duplicate..." messages but it was unclear to me if Chameleon had loaded the one from /Extra/Extensions and this message (as you point out) is really from OSX telling me that there is already a kext loaded and it will skip loading the kext within s/l/e (which of course is what I want).

Again, thanks!

Lord Anubis

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 01:36:21 PM »
Hi Thank you also about this. :)

What about renaming the /extra/extensions folder when using a extras/extensions.mkext? I read about malfunction.

Also, in the original question and also in another post, there was a secondary info search about com.apple.Boot.plist

Just to be clear

There is /extra/com.apple.Boot.plist and there is /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist .
( btw, my setup has chameleon on his own partition like EFI and the osx's has there own partitions )

Chameleon reads /extra/com.apple.Boot.plist during his own startup? right/wrong?
If not what is Chameleon using for his own?

When we select a disk/partition in Chameleon and press return, we boot into an osx, Chameleon reads /extra/com.apple.Boot.plist and from where to boot from reads also the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist? right/wrong?
Is the second replacing the first one or are they complementair? right/wrong?

you may ask why?
Because when I put kernel setting inside /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist, like kernel flag = -v or -s, it does nothing. However when I put the kernal flags in /extra/com.apple.Boot.plist then I have the choosen mode, and also for all osx boot choices.  ???

If this is true do we need osxutil or uinstaller to add device properties info /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist?

Also, how can I, when I have more then one osx installed, make a difference with the kernal flags or other device properties?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 01:44:47 PM by Lord Anubis »
Quicksilver 2002 Case - GB EP45-DS3P - 8Gb Kingston mem. - Q6600 - Asus 7300GT Silent 512Mb - 6 SATA drives - 1 IDE drives ( using F12/Chameleon for booting, not visible in OSX ) - 1 external Sata Samsung DVD - OSX 10.6.8 server retail - Chameleon 2.0RC1 + Cartri Bios

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 04:26:27 PM »
You're both welcome guys, happy to help.

What about renaming the /extra/extensions folder when using a extras/extensions.mkext? I read about malfunction.

No malfunction that I'm aware of. But stick with the default names until you set everything right.

Chameleon reads /extra/com.apple.Boot.plist during his own startup? right/wrong?

Right

When we select a disk/partition in Chameleon and press return, we boot into an osx, Chameleon reads /extra/com.apple.Boot.plist and from where to boot from reads also the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist? right/wrong?
Is the second replacing the first one or are they complementair? right/wrong?

Chameleon cares about /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist.
/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist, is OSX's default file for real Macs.
Only one will be used. You tell Chameleon which one to use by setting the appropriate options:
Additional useful command-line options:
config=<file>             Use an alternate Boot.plist file.
If you don't set this option, Chameleon will look for the default /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

Because when I put kernel setting inside /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist, like kernel flag = -v or -s, it does nothing. However when I put the kernal flags in /extra/com.apple.Boot.plist then I have the choosen mode, and also for all osx boot choices.  ???

If this is true do we need osxutil or uinstaller to add device properties info /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist?

Anubis, I understand that English is not your native language but please read again this thread.

The /Extra folder, is Chameleon's baby.

The idea is to let (retail) MacOS X install whatever it likes, however it likes, just like a real Mac.

Then at boot time, Chameleon takes over using its own files that reside in /Extra.

If you configure Chameleon properly, you may take a HD from a real Mac, put it in your Hack, and boot normally.

That's the whole idea, no more messing/hacking files in Leopard's file structure. Leave everything on your HD untouched, and configure everything from /Extra (ideally installed @ your EFI partition).

/Extra folder takes precedence over any other file/folder.

/Extra folder is king!

Also, how can I, when I have more then one osx installed, make a difference with the kernal flags or other device properties?

Point Chameleon to use different com.apple.Boot.plist files for different HD/partitions  ;)

Edit: fix typos
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 04:44:54 PM by rocksteady »

Lord Anubis

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 05:33:59 PM »
Hi

thanks again for your time and effort. It's getting more and more clear from what I see happening and what you wrote.

I understand the idea of vanilla and keep it clean, but what people write and advice is different from what I see and therefor confusing.

Quote from: Lord Anubis on Today at 12:36:21 PM

No malfunction that I'm aware of. But stick with the default names until you set everything right.

See f.e this post, one of several.
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=127611&view=findpost&p=1152664
edit adding a second sample: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,268.msg968.html#msg968

So, all those advised tools are also confusing because they don't keep your install clean. When you want to use Chameleon and a vanilla install it places stuff at the wrong place. Right/Wrong?

Point Chameleon to use different com.apple.Boot.plist files for different HD/partitions
This should be manually, as far I understand!
Or can I create on each partiton an /Extra Folder with in there at least a boot.plist? Does Chameleon recon this?

Dont forget that f.e I have
Partition1 - Chameleon with /extra and com.apple.boot.plist
Partition2 - MacOSXServer- vanilla
Partition3 - MacOSXServerDevTest vanilla
Partition4 - MacOSXServerClean- vanilla

One more thing,
When I kickoff a kernel with -v -f I see a list of kext loading scrolling. In this list I see also the/some /extra kexts flying by. Is there a way to save this list to disk/usb stick to check this out? dmesg shows only a latter part of the log, even with -s used.

Thanks again

Ps.
I did understand that when I want to create a /Extra/Extensions.mkext, combined from the /Extra/Extensions/*.kext and /System/Library/Extensions/*.kext, that it is dangerous when I use mine partitions setup and in use with different osx versions. Thats also one of the reasons to ask deeper. I did test this with,

My boot partition name is Chameleon

kextcache -v 1 -t -l -a i386 -m "/Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/Extensions.mkext" "/Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/Extensions" "/System/Library/Extensions"

« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 09:05:33 PM by Lord Anubis »
Quicksilver 2002 Case - GB EP45-DS3P - 8Gb Kingston mem. - Q6600 - Asus 7300GT Silent 512Mb - 6 SATA drives - 1 IDE drives ( using F12/Chameleon for booting, not visible in OSX ) - 1 external Sata Samsung DVD - OSX 10.6.8 server retail - Chameleon 2.0RC1 + Cartri Bios

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 05:37:33 AM »
Hey Anubis

I understand the idea of vanilla and keep it clean, but what people write and advice is different from what I see and therefor confusing.

Heh true, it's under heavy development so everything is new every other day. Your best bet is to follow the official docs included with Chameleon and try things yourself for your own setup. I'm still decoding chameleon myself, been using the latest version for less than a week. Meanwhile the developers might chime in and verify/clarify things.

See f.e this post, one of several.

Now I see what you mean, in my first screenshot you'll see that I also use the name KextStore. However, I didn't run into any problems while keeping the name Extensions.

So, all those advised tools are also confusing because they don't keep your install clean. When you want to use Chameleon and a vanilla install it places stuff at the wrong place. Right/Wrong?

Yeah I guess so, but all you need is Terminal and an editor. Google TextWrangler or Smultron, both free.

This should be manually, as far I understand!
Or can I create on each partiton an /Extra Folder with in there at least a boot.plist? Does Chameleon recon this?

Ah, you're talking about the same HD...
If chameleon is installed on the EFI, then you can only have 1 /Extra folder for each HD.
If you install chameleon on the Leopard partition, you can have 1 /Extra folder for every Leopard partition.
Good idea for a feature request though.

Is there a way to save this list to disk/usb stick to check this out? dmesg shows only a latter part of the log, even with -s used.

Did you check your system.log? (Utilities-->Console)

I did understand that when I want to create a /Extra/Extensions.mkext, combined from the /Extra/Extensions/*.kext and /System/Library/Extensions/*.kext, that it is dangerous when I use mine partitions setup and in use with different osx versions.

Correct, because you optimize your /Extra kexts against the /S/L/E kexts, but you have 3 different Leopard installations. So only one of them will be optimized. Bad idea really.

HTH

Btw: I see you're setup with the Server version of Leopard. Do you have any experience with real Macs and real servers? It's totally different from the client version of X. Just asking cause I remember posts about people trying to setup Leopard Server on a laptop...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 05:39:29 AM by rocksteady »

Lord Anubis

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 11:24:00 AM »
Hi Rocksteady,

Thanks again, its good to have a discussion like this, instead roving between al those different thoughts.
I, Lord Anubis, rove my whole live between different planes of existence, dark or not, but want a rocksteady hackintosh.  :D

Meanwhile the developers might chime in and verify/clarify things.
Yes, but there where already many requests for this :(
I hope they will release de source soon, so we can look into this. I just found an older version to look into. Now I have to find the time.

Is there a way to save this list to disk/usb stick to check this out? dmesg shows only a latter part of the log, even with -s used.

Did you check your system.log? (Utilities-->Console)
yep, but dmesg is earlier in the process but after those loadings. Any other idea to get this working, any secret option during boot?

I did understand that when I want to create a /Extra/Extensions.mkext, combined from the /Extra/Extensions/*.kext and /System/Library/Extensions/*.kext, that it is dangerous when I use mine partitions setup and in use with different osx versions.

Correct, because you optimize your /Extra kexts against the /S/L/E kexts, but you have 3 different Leopard installations. So only one of them will be optimized. Bad idea really.
True, I know this will be in daily live, at least in multi osx installation, but it was mainly to figure out how the kext loading process is working.

Btw: I see you're setup with the Server version of Leopard. Do you have any experience with real Macs and real servers? It's totally different from the client version of X. Just asking cause I remember posts about people trying to setup Leopard Server on a laptop...

Yes, but because I did start building around end of april, it is not running yet as real live server. Also I will use it mainly as test machine for development of server apps. So far as I can see the issues are the same as clients have on hackintosh and same issues as with a real mac server. And it's not that different the base is a client with several extra's and tools.

My next/current step is to get my Asus nvidea 7300GT silent 512Mb working.
It doesn't reconize the 512Mb size, no resolution change, no QE, no Dual display etc.

Thanks again.

edit: extra info
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 11:45:49 PM by Lord Anubis »

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 07:05:57 AM »
nice style Lord :)

Let's leave the devs do their thing, I'm sure they will clarify things as they get along with their software.

yep, but dmesg is earlier in the process but after those loadings. Any other idea to get this working, any secret option during boot?

That sounds like another good idea for a feature request, Chameleon Log. Btw, I posted the official docs here, just in case you don't have 'em yet.

Take your time with the server, as you go along you'll find out that it's not just the client with some extra stuff. Take a look under the hood and you'll find some pretty slick things. I'd suggest to study the power options and give your setup a serious burn-in test (ie Prime95) before it goes live. Better yet,  you may want to do a decent burn-in test before installing the OS so you won't loose hair trying to find out what gives you errors (hardware or software).

What's wrong with your 7300GT? no good hex string?

Lord Anubis

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 11:59:36 PM »
Let's leave the devs do their thing, I'm sure they will clarify things as they get along with their software.
Checking an older version, I did figure out how to read sectors. It is also good for education.
Also I did see that why my ide drives where visable during chameleon but not in osx. See*1
If we got the source we could implement more thing like things what EFI was ment to be for.

That sounds like another good idea for a feature request, Chameleon Log. Btw, I posted the official docs here, just in case you don't have 'em yet.
The request was already done half April when I was investigating things.

Take your time with the server, as you go along you'll find out that it's not just the client with some extra stuff. Take a look under the hood and you'll find some pretty slick things. I'd suggest to study the power options and give your setup a serious burn-in test (ie Prime95) before it goes live. Better yet,  you may want to do a decent burn-in test before installing the OS so you won't loose hair trying to find out what gives you errors (hardware or software).
I will check that URL out. Using the server since Rhapsody, and radar thenth+ of server bugs, still every advice or guidings is welcome. The current issues/flaws seeing at the mac Server are as I notice the same as on the problems as I see them on my hackintosh server. If I have the client runnning okay then the server version will to.

*1. I have a iTE IDE chip on my board, on several themes I can see my ide drives ( with windows XP 64, windows 64), but on other themes not. When I boot into macosx, even with IDE visable in that theme, then they dissapear in osx. The boot code is reading all the partitions on all drives visable in the bios and pass them with their os/partition ID code to chameleon.

SilverZero

• Entrant
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 11:58:11 PM »
Chameleon cares about /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist.
/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist, is OSX's default file for real Macs.
Only one will be used. You tell Chameleon which one to use by setting the appropriate options:
Additional useful command-line options:
config=<file>             Use an alternate Boot.plist file.
If you don't set this option, Chameleon will look for the default /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

I'm sorry to be dense, but WHERE does the "config" option (and all the other Chameleon command line options) get placed? Are these to be typed in during startup, or can they be added to a file to run automatically during boot?