Author Topic: Bootloader freezes if I don't hit "enter"  (Read 4153 times)

Dewdman42

• Observer
Bootloader freezes if I don't hit "enter"
« on: May 15, 2009, 08:30:47 PM »
I am using the new Chameleon 2.0RC1.  Looks great.  Seems to be working, with one problem, when the Chameleon GUI comes up, if I immediately hit "enter" to select a partition to boot, it works fine.  Also if I immediately hit an arrow key when it comes up, then I can arrow around and it seems to be working.

However, if I don't hit anything, then after a couple seconds (less than 3), it freezes and becomes completely unresponsive and never does boot up into OSX.

Anyone have any idea what is going on?  I would really like to configure it so that if I don't hit Enter it will boot up for me, but that is really a second question after we figure out why it freezes when I don't hit the enter key immediately.

Lord Anubis

Re: Bootloader freezes if I don't hit "enter"
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 08:56:53 PM »
Hi,

with one theme, twilight ( maybe already updated ) I did have the same. For me, using the space and then cursor up/down key then I do get the list back and can startup.

I did change to another theme and did have no problems anymore.

Maybe its the same as for you?

HTH
Quicksilver 2002 Case - GB EP45-DS3P - 8Gb Kingston mem. - Q6600 - Asus 7300GT Silent 512Mb - 6 SATA drives - 1 IDE drives ( using F12/Chameleon for booting, not visible in OSX ) - 1 external Sata Samsung DVD - OSX 10.6.8 server retail - Chameleon 2.0RC1 + Cartri Bios

Dewdman42

• Observer
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 09:03:19 PM »
I will try the space and cursor keys.  I was not using any configured theme, just the default.  Is that Twilight? 

Lord Anubis

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 11:54:54 PM »
Hi,

if I remember it right the default was named default.
I could be wrong however. Iam not at my mhackintosh.

With the default one I didn't have problems.
Quicksilver 2002 Case - GB EP45-DS3P - 8Gb Kingston mem. - Q6600 - Asus 7300GT Silent 512Mb - 6 SATA drives - 1 IDE drives ( using F12/Chameleon for booting, not visible in OSX ) - 1 external Sata Samsung DVD - OSX 10.6.8 server retail - Chameleon 2.0RC1 + Cartri Bios

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 06:01:35 AM »
Confirming that the name of the default theme is "Default", so it should be in your com.apple.Boot.plist as
Code: [Select]
<key>Theme</key>
<string>Default</string>

There're some more posts here signaling weird behavior with some themes, other than that it may have to do with your setup.

I would really like to configure it so that if I don't hit Enter it will boot up for me...

Code: [Select]
<key>Default Partition</key>
<string>hd(x,y)</string>

just replace x,y with the actual numbers of your Leopard partition. Btw, I just posted the official Chameleon docs, you'll find all the boot options that matter here
Stop bitching, start coding or documenting or both..

P5Q-EM : Q6600 : 8GB RAM : 8800GT : SATA Drives

Dewdman42

• Observer
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 11:42:23 PM »
It is selecting my primary partition anyway.

Actually, all very strange behavior.  The old chameleon did not exhibit these problems. 

When chameleon first starts up, it shows three icons for my three partitions.  The first partition has OSX on it, the others are only data(one is another disk).  The first icon is selected.  If I hit the enter key within about a second or two, then it boots up fine.  If I wait longer than that, then Enter won't work, and it hangs there indefinitely, it does not timeout or startup automatically.

However as someone suggested I can hit the spacebar, which does pop up the configuration menu and I can scroll up and down, look at options, look at video specs, move back to the top menu item to boot and hit enter and then it will boot.

If I set the timeout to say:

<key>Timeout</key>
   <string>10</string>

Then it takes much longer then 10 seconds before it automatically boots up(like several minutes), but it does automatically boot up to my first partition eventually.  There is a progress meter that runs for a couple minutes, then it finally will boot.  If I set the timeout to "1" then it waits for maybe 10-20 seconds or so and then boots.

Once the progress meter is up, which happens right away, then chameleon will not respond to any keyboard input of any kind to hit enter to boot or bring up the menu or anything.  At that point I just have to wait for the timeout to occur.

These seem like bugs in Chameleon, so I'm just reporting them here. 

System is Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 rev2.0 (F14c).  Partitions are GUID.

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 01:46:12 AM »
How's your boot device priority setup? 

also, are you in SATA/AHCI setup or SATA/IDE?
Stop bitching, start coding or documenting or both..

P5Q-EM : Q6600 : 8GB RAM : 8800GT : SATA Drives

Dewdman42

• Observer
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 02:19:01 AM »
OSX is on primary device, primary partition.  Nothing complicated.

I am using SATA/AHCI

blast9999

• Observer
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 02:57:15 AM »
How is that 14c bios update, did it get you any new features? Last time I checked it was still beta. I have the same mobo and no problems with the F13 bios version.

Dewdman42

• Observer
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 03:27:59 AM »
This is off topic so I will PM you the details of critical BIOS changes that occurred around a year ago in the F13ish range.  Its not clear to me that F13 has the critical fixes I am referring to, and F14c is the next one available.  Its been working fine.