Author Topic: USBBusFix, EHCIacquire, UHCIreset and SMBIOSdefaults  (Read 17633 times)

Dewdman42

• Observer
USBBusFix, EHCIacquire, UHCIreset and SMBIOSdefaults
« on: May 15, 2009, 09:44:21 PM »
Chameleon has a couple of options mentioned which can be controlled via Boot.plist and I was wondering if someone could explain what each of these items are, what they do, when I would want it on or off, etc.

I also notice the Chameleon installs a few kexts into /Extra and hopefully someone could explain if and when those are needed or when they can potentially be removed.

USBBusFix
EHCIacquire
UHCIreset
SMBIOSdefaults

thanks

Dewdman42

• Observer
Re: USBBusFix, EHCIacquire, UHCIreset and SMBIOSdefaults
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 11:45:22 PM »
Does anyone know anything about these?  Additionally I would like to know what the following extensions are that Chameleon appears to have installed in /Extra/Extensions:

AHCIPortInjector.kext:
ATAPortInjector.kext:
AppleACPIButtons.kext:
AppleACPIEC.kext:
AppleACPIPCI.kext:
IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext:
IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext:
IOAHCISerialATAPI.kext:

Kabyl

• VoodooLabs
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 12:01:14 AM »
Does anyone know anything about these?  Additionally I would like to know what the following extensions are that Chameleon appears to have installed in /Extra/Extensions:

AHCIPortInjector.kext:
ATAPortInjector.kext:
AppleACPIButtons.kext:
AppleACPIEC.kext:
AppleACPIPCI.kext:
IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext:
IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext:
IOAHCISerialATAPI.kext:

It only installs 3 kexts (optional), it will probably include a disabler kext in the future.

Dewdman42

• Observer
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 12:11:15 AM »
Hmm.  Very strange because I didn't put those other ones there.  Is there any weird possibility that the 10.5.7 combo updater would have put them there somehow?

I am reverting back to old chameleon for now, it was working very reliably for me and continues to now.  I'll check out gui chameleon in the future when its finalized.

Thanks!

ps - if there is someplace we can find an FAQ or explanation of things like USBBusFix, EHCIacquire, UHCIreset and SMBBIOSdefaults (they are mentioned in the Chameleon docs), then it would be helpful to  know what these are and also to know what is the purpose of the kexts installed by chameleon.

crankshaft

• Entrant
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 01:17:11 AM »
Hi;

It appears that the post install script installs dependencies for any kexts that are found in the /Extra/Extensions folder, possibly using the kextlibs and kextfind commands ??!

P

Dewdman42

• Observer
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 01:19:15 AM »
post install of 10.5.7?  I'm curious why it would have installed into /Extra/Extensions intead of /System/Library/Extensions, unless it was related to one of the ones that I had in /Extra/Extensions at the time of running the updater. 

Hmm.  ok, thanks

crankshaft

• Entrant
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 01:25:53 AM »
The post installer of chameleon not the 10.5.7 installer, I'm not sure if it looks at the kexts in the /extra/extensions folder and then gets the dependencies from s/l/e or whether it reads the s/l/e cache and gets a list of loaded kexts.

This happens when you re-run the chameleon installer where the extra/extensions folder already exists and there are kexts in them, if there are no kexts and it's a new install then nothing appears to be added.

P

kocoman

• Entrant
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 06:02:30 PM »
Is there any written details about what these are for??

USBBusFix, EHCIacquire, UHCIrese

thorazine74

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 06:25:34 PM »
Is there any written details about what these are for??

USBBusFix, EHCIacquire, UHCIrese

From what I understand, they are supposed to fix problems with USB controllers that are not detected properly by OS X, causing some problems. I believe they are mean to replace the patched AppleEHCI/UCHI kexts available. EHCIAcquire would fix USB 2.0 controllers reset, UHCIreset would fix USB 1.0/1.1 and USBBusfix would fix both.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong...
Mac OS X 10.5.6 Retail (Updated to 10.5.7) with Chameleon 2.0 RC1+BootIt NextGen 1.86 (MBR Single Drive)
Gigabyte 73PVM-S2H + C2D + 2 Gb
2 SATA HD (AppleAHCIport.kext) + 1 PATA DVD+RW (DarwinATAPort.kext)
Realtek ALC889 (VoodooHDA.kext)
Geforce 8600GTS (EFI String) PS/2 M & KB: VoodooPS2.kext

Dewdman42

• Observer
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 07:31:18 PM »
So if we weren't having problems before related to USB, can we run without those?