Author Topic: Boot from original (FAT) EFI partition  (Read 5024 times)

zhell

Boot from original (FAT) EFI partition
« on: April 07, 2009, 10:25:43 PM »
Here's my dream of what I can imagine as the ideal Chameleon boot loader:

1. Allow booting from a FAT formatted EFI partition, i.e. a partition as required by the EFI standard and as is available on every GPT-formatted drive.

2. Allow putting Chameleon's files into a sub directory of "EFI", e.g. "EFI/Chameleon".

3. Once it is clear which partition to boot from (the user has selected one, or from boot.plist), look for a sub-directory of "EFI/Chameleon/<UUID>", i.e. one that bears the UUID of the selected partition as its name. If so, files in there such as boot.plist, DSDT.aml, smbios.plist, and also Extensions.mkext or Extensions subdirectory will OVERRIDE the item in "EFI/Chameleon".

Regarding 1: This feature is part of the second feature set blog post by zef:
EFI system partition booting support.

This is the method what Munky and Turbo introduced first. You can put your boot loader along with all /Extra stuff to this partition then can safely boot your untouched vanilla install. We have a new experimental FAT32 filesystem support with long file names.
See http://chameleon.osx86.hu/articles/more-new-features-added-to-next-chameleon-version-part-2
Thanks,

dp35dp

P.S. This is partly inspired by Bladerunner's bug report "Problem booting different version of Leopard using Chameleon V2 RC1" http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,3.0.html.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 10:38:26 AM by dp35dp »

Lord Anubis

Re: Boot from original (FAT) EFI partition
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 12:53:28 PM »
First I would like to say that Chameleon is great. Thank you guys.

Actualy, I did read this also and then I did go for Chameleon. Maybe it comes later? Or is the FAT partition of 200Mb hidden for the Chameleon installer? If so maybe the chameleon Installer should show this partition.

Edit.
Using the installer with the Chameleon EFI HFS reformat choice it did use the wrong drive. And not complete.

Lord Anubis
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 02:06:19 PM by Lord Anubis »
Quicksilver 2002 Case - GB EP45-DS3P - 8Gb Kingston mem. - Q6600 - Asus 7300GT Silent 512Mb - 6 SATA drives - 1 IDE drives ( using F12/Chameleon for booting, not visible in OSX ) - 1 external Sata Samsung DVD - OSX 10.6.8 server retail - Chameleon 2.0RC1 + Cartri Bios