overdue-scratch

Author Topic: DSDT loading from cdboot not working  (Read 17716 times)

DooV

DSDT loading from cdboot not working
« on: May 17, 2009, 01:15:20 PM »
I'm not sure if it is really a bug yet, or simply it wasn't included in the latest release.
I'm trying to load a patched DSDT.aml from a Chameleon 2.0 RC1 cdboot in order to be able to boot my retail installation disk with absolutly no luck (lock up due to cpu aliases). Of course my patched DSDT.aml is already working on the same motherboard after doing the install process on a dsdt bug free motherboard, so my DSDT.aml is not the problem here.

I included the DSDT.aml in every posible location

cdboot root/
cdboot root/Extra
Preboot.dmg/
Preboot.dmg/Extra/

and I even tried to use

DSDT=rd(0,0)/Extra/DSDT.aml and
DSDT=rd(0,0)/DSDT.aml

Nothing worked at all. So far I have to use an old patched bios to be able to boot retail disks in this motherboard with Chameleon 2.0 RC1. If I use the newest one and the patched DSDT.aml simply all I got is a lock up.

zef

• Administrator
Re: DSDT loading from cdboot not working
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 06:57:56 PM »
Can you boot with verbose mode and press the Pause key right before the kernel starts? You will get some verbose output about patching the DSDT.
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 | i5-2500k | 16GB RAM | GTX560 | Keyboard | Mouse | Devilsound DAC

DooV

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 09:15:50 PM »
Too bad I have no longer the motherboard in which I had the issue (MSI Neo3-FR http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=170&prod_no=1611 ).

DSDT loading worked fine with Chameleon 2 RC1 installed on the hard disk, except for MacOS X was detecting 6gb instead of the real 4gb the computer had. Surprisingly this problem didn't happen if I used the patched bios from http://www.osxcores.site50.net/ (which sadly.....I found after wasting hours trying to make dsdt loading work from cdboot)

So to sum up, if there is a problem with Chameleon 2 RC1 DSDT loading, it is located only in the cdboot code since, once installed on hard disk, DSDT loading worked just fine (except for the memory issue, which may be unrelated).

Thanks for showing interest in this "bug", I really hope someone else can confirm it and you find a solution. You are doing a great job guys.

Let me know if you need any additional info about the problem and excuse my english :P

p.s. I really hope you are also taking care of the firewire dma bug in Chameleon 2 rc1 :) , lots of musicians and video editors will be a lot happier if it's finally solved.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 02:39:13 PM by DooV »

Gringo Vermelho

• Forum Moderator
  • The gray monster energy hat
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 01:38:15 AM »
It works for me.

My DSDT.aml was extracted, patched and (de)compiled with Koalala's ACPIpatcher. I used XCode to hand-edit my LAN into the decompiled DSDT. My board has AMI BIOS.

I know some text editors will screw up the formatting in the DSDT table (Windows Notepad for example). It will probably still compile, but it won't work. Maybe that's what happened to you? I don't know what text formatting type it's supposed to be in.

/EDIT - here's more info (copied from a boot CD pdf guide) though I'm not sure if this is the same thing that happens when editing DSDT.

"UNIX and Mac OS X use the line feed (LF) character to mark the end of a line of text, Windows uses the carriage return (CR) character. Because .plist files must have linefeed characters at the end of every line to be readable by Mac OS X, editing these files with Windows tools can result in headaches."

The DSDT.aml works fine from my Chameleon boot CD, which I used to install retail.
I've since flashed my BIOS with a modified DSDT that only removes the CPU aliases, but before I did that the Chameleon boot CD was working fine as well.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 06:40:25 PM by Gringo Vermelho »
10.9.5 - ASUS P8Z77-V Pro - i5 3570K - GTX 660 - Chameleon 2.3 svn-r2xxx
How to...
Install Chameleon: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,649
Make your own Chameleon boot CD: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,484.msg2131.html#msg2131

DooV

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 08:13:52 AM »
It works for me.

My DSDT.aml was extracted, patched and (de)compiled with Koalala's ACPIpatcher. I used XCode to hand-edit my LAN into the decompiled DSDT. My board has AMI BIOS.

I know some text editors will screw up the formatting in the DSDT table (Windows Notepad for example). It will probably still compile, but it won't work. Maybe that's what happened to you? I don't know what text formatting type it's supposed to be in.

The DSDT.aml works fine from my Chameleon boot CD, which I used to install retail.
I've since flashed my BIOS with a modified DSDT that only removes the CPU aliases, but before I did that the Chameleon boot CD was working fine as well.

That's a quite interesting theory. But, the same DSDT.aml file worked when I loaded it from hard disk. Only using cdboot failed to load.

zef

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 03:15:09 PM »
That's a quite interesting theory. But, the same DSDT.aml file worked when I loaded it from hard disk. Only using cdboot failed to load.

The boot and cdboot files are the same but a 2k long el-torito loader is injected at the beginning of boot, take a look at cdboot's Makefile:

Code: [Select]
cdboot: cdboot.s $(SYMROOT)/boot Makefile $(NASM)
$(NASM) cdboot.s -o $(SYMROOT)/cdboot
dd if=$(SYMROOT)/boot of=$(SYMROOT)/cdboot conv=sync bs=2k seek=1

Regarding the issue, i have a clue in case when swap your DVD to the retail. In this case the retail's Boot.plist will takes place with the default options (almost none), but specifing your dsdt file on the command line should still apply...

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 | i5-2500k | 16GB RAM | GTX560 | Keyboard | Mouse | Devilsound DAC

DooV

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 04:36:54 PM »
Too bad all my other motherboards have no problems with cpu aliases, so I can't continue testing. Anyway this guy happens to have a similar issue.

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,54.0.html

So, maybe its not a isolated case.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 05:06:17 PM by DooV »

AniV

• Observer
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 12:41:57 PM »
I have exactly the same problem as reported.
The DSDT.aml gets loaded from hard-disk just fine, but NEVER from CDROM,
no matter where we place the DSDT file. :-\

Of course, this is a very needed feature to circumvent the BIOS flashing.

Thank you for the good work.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans". .

DooV

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 01:10:41 AM »
So, 3 different people having the same issue...this definetively starts to look like a real bug.

AniV

• Observer
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 06:22:51 PM »
I guess I found a work around that ensures the DSDT.aml gets loaded.

It requires the OsX Install DVD to be cloned and the 'your-system-specific-DSDT.aml' file
to be copied to the root of the DVD.

Then it gets loaded alright! Not really what we want, but can be handy to un-stuck ...

Before, I needed to use an external VGA monitor to proceed with the OsX DVD installation.
Not anymore, Ufh!

Maybe, this hint can help somebody.

Cheers,

PS. The proof that it gets loaded is attached.

DooV

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 06:39:06 PM »
Great, as you said is not exactly what we were looking for (specially if we have to burn a dvd9 for each new motherboard which needs a patched dsdt), but it may be useful until this bug gets patched.

zef

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 12:16:31 AM »
Thx guys!

Going to inspect this one, btw i don't see why it doesn't work from rd(0,0).

Be back with - hopefully positive - results.

AniV

• Observer
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 12:01:42 AM »

Hi Zef,

We know you're quite a busy person, BUT it's been about ten days since last move.
We badly need an answer, please say something about this matter, or is it too complicated?

Thanks.

tempolo

• My own Hackintosh page
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 08:15:44 AM »
I like to point out that the 2.0 RC1 source code got released recently. That might enable others to look into this.

AniV

• Observer
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 02:03:49 PM »
Thank You! The sources have allowed me to spot the bug.

The tiny change I've made to the file 'libsaio/dsdt_patcher.c' in
function 'int setupAcpi()' has fixed it.

What I do, is simply check for the presence 'DSDT.aml' file in Ramdisk rd(0,0)
as a last resort. And that did it.

For the more impatient (like me), the change is straightforward.

That's good news I gather. Thanks again.

Cheers